OT: The Chevy GM Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Actually, I think this season has had some unexpected results.

First, I think that although they do need more depth on D, they didn't expect Myers to miss the entire season, and the poor inconsistent seasons from Buff and Enstrom have been an unexpected disappointment. A defense like the following should have been better than shown...

Trouba
Buff
Enstrom
Morrissey
Myers
Postma
Chiarot
Stuart
Melchiori

Yes, he could have perhaps picked up a player on waivers, but I think they still see this as a development season, not a playoff run.

Second, I doubt anyone inside or outside the organization would have expected that demoting Pavs and keeping Hellebuyck and Hutch would give the Jets their worst goaltending season yet. Hutch fell off a cliff, and Hellebuyck hasn't been as good as expected.

Another down season from Perreault (in productivity) has made them rely too much on young players for offense.

I don't disagree that they need to make some moves, but it wasn't easy to forecast the performance of this season from the vantage point of last offseason.

I was more so talking in terms of "from this point/offseason on". I liked our roster heading into this season, to be honest. I was happy to see Hellebuyck/Hutchinson get their shot. I was happy with our forward depth. I was happy with our defensive unit (albeit no Trouba to start was a big disappointment). Not a perfect roster by any means, but one I was pretty excited about.

From this point on (trade deadline, if possible.. to the offseason), I really think Chevy has to address roster needs in order to help this team take a step forward.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I would be very interested to see how much control and budget Chevy actually has in regards to the team or if he has to run everything by ownership and they have the final say. It would be interesting to see the dynamics there as I feel that any capable GM would of addressed our defence earlier in the season after myer's injury.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Get a good coach and a veteran goalie = playoff team it's that simple.
Winnipeg will never be able to bring in top FA unless they over pay which would kill them in the salary cap. If Cheapman wants to win he is going to have to pay big bucks for a good coach.

Yup, you have to pay and you have to win to attract players. Winning solves everything.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Up to this point, chevy has done well, and anyone who wants him gone is laughably hypocritical. There was not a single person I saw at the beginning of this season who was unhappy with our starting lineup. They had made all the moves we wanted to see. No thorburn/burmistrov in the starting lineup, pavs sent down to the AHL, running with the kids. We all thought we were in the clear.

Now, what needs to be done is clear. Coaching and goaltending have proven to be major issues. Don't think any of us expected it to be this bad. There are a plethora of high quality coaches out there right now, and a few good quality veteran goaltenders that can be brought in (fleury, bishop, MAYBE halak).

To at least keep me happy, Chevy needs to fix at least one of the goaltending or coaching by the beginning of next season. Fixing just one of them most likely gets us back into the playoffs, fixing both does for sure.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Yup, you have to pay and you have to win to attract players. Winning solves everything.

Aren't they filthy rich? Like among the richest in Canada or something? Im not worried at all about them paying up for a good coach. It's hauling in FA's thats the problem. You can offer to pay more than others, but some players just won't want to go to Winnipeg, and that's why I don't criticize chevy too much about FA's. We're not a good team yet, and we're not located in a favourable city for most. Players tend to not like Winnipeg till they actually live there and see it's not actually as horrific as people tend to make it out to be.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I would be very interested to see how much control and budget Chevy actually has in regards to the team or if he has to run everything by ownership and they have the final say. It would be interesting to see the dynamics there as I feel that any capable GM would of addressed our defence earlier in the season after myer's injury.

Agreed, I know Chipman is really close to it and I feel like he probably interferes. You have to be hands off as an owner. This interview is telling:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-roundtable-part-2-trading-a-star-not-just-at-gms-discretion/

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed, I know Chipman is really close to it and I feel like he probably interferes. You have to be hands off as an owner. This interview is telling:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-roundtable-part-2-trading-a-star-not-just-at-gms-discretion/

I'm not sure what the issue is here I'm pretty sure the vast majority of ownerships throughout the league would require their GM vetting the trading of a star with them first. Do you think Rutherford could trade Crosby without going through Lemiux/Burkle?

I don't have any issue with ownership acting as a check against GM'S for certain transactions. Even if Chevy needs to run the trading of important pieces by Chipman it doesn't appear that Mark had gotten in his way ala Ladd.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Aren't they filthy rich?
Like among the richest in Canada or something?
Im not worried at all about them paying up for a good coach. It's hauling in FA's thats the problem. You can offer to pay more than others, but some players just won't want to go to Winnipeg, and that's why I don't criticize chevy too much about FA's. We're not a good team yet, and we're not located in a favourable city for most. Players tend to not like Winnipeg till they actually live there and see it's not actually as horrific as people tend to make it out to be.

David Thompson is the richest man in Canada, top 10 in the world. My understanding is that none of the people ahead of him on that list own sports teams at all, which would make our owner the richest owner in any sport on earth.

I don't think that means much, though. With a couple of minor exceptions, (Samuelis, Karamnos, Save our 'Yotes or whatever that mess is called this week) every NHL team can afford whoever they want in terms of staff and players.

The bigger problem is that perception that the city is a frozen wasteland with nothing to do. On top of that, the legacy of mediocrity doesn't add much to the attraction.

If Chevy wants to attract UFA players to fill out the roster this offseason, or convince a trade target to waive his NMC/NTC to become a Jet, I think bouncing Mo out of town and replacing him with a coach with a history of winning would go a long way toward showing people he intends to win.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I'm not sure what the issue is here I'm pretty sure the vast majority of ownerships throughout the league would require their GM vetting the trading of a star with them first. Do you think Rutherford could trade Crosby without going through Lemiux/Burkle?

I don't have any issue with ownership acting as a check against GM'S for certain transactions. Even if Chevy needs to run the trading of important pieces by Chipman it doesn't appear that Mark had gotten in his way ala Ladd.

I have an issue with it. You can see the difference in Molson and Vinik in how they respond, explaining how they check in once a week, let him run it. Obviously with major trades they would be in the loop, goes without saying. If the owner is over the shoulder, working on everything, it completely undermines the GM in every way. Micro managing at that level is a disaster.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
If Chevy wants to attract UFA players to fill out the roster this offseason, or convince a trade target to waive his NMC/NTC to become a Jet, I think bouncing Mo out of town and replacing him with a coach with a history of winning would go a long way toward showing people he intends to win.

This^.
I certainly don't think any decent goalie would sign here knowing PoMo's history of horrible defensive systems.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Aren't they filthy rich? Like among the richest in Canada or something? Im not worried at all about them paying up for a good coach. It's hauling in FA's thats the problem. You can offer to pay more than others, but some players just won't want to go to Winnipeg, and that's why I don't criticize chevy too much about FA's. We're not a good team yet, and we're not located in a favourable city for most. Players tend to not like Winnipeg till they actually live there and see it's not actually as horrific as people tend to make it out to be.

Although Thomson is very rich, he is a minority owner and in effect; virtually every NHL team is rich in that they can spend to the cap. I would say the Jets are cheap in some ways but with recent contracts have proved they will step up to the plate.

Last edited:

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Up to this point, chevy has done well, and anyone who wants him gone is laughably hypocritical. There was not a single person I saw at the beginning of this season who was unhappy with our starting lineup. They had made all the moves we wanted to see. No thorburn/burmistrov in the starting lineup, pavs sent down to the AHL, running with the kids. We all thought we were in the clear.

Now, what needs to be done is clear. Coaching and goaltending have proven to be major issues. Don't think any of us expected it to be this bad. There are a plethora of high quality coaches out there right now, and a few good quality veteran goaltenders that can be brought in (fleury, bishop, MAYBE halak).

To at least keep me happy, Chevy needs to fix at least one of the goaltending or coaching by the beginning of next season. Fixing just one of them most likely gets us back into the playoffs, fixing both does for sure.

Agreed, but I expect him to fix both. Going into next season with Helle and Hutch again would be insane.

I do think Chevy has done a good job drafting a very promising young core, but I'm not sure if he has what it takes to take this team to the next level. I hope he can prove me wrong next year!

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
86% of voters feel they have some to serious concerns about Chevy as our GM and how's he's managing the team. Honestly, I'm not sure how someone could vote no concerns after floundering for six years with zero real progress or improvement in results.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I have an issue with it. You can see the difference in Molson and Vinik in how they respond, explaining how they check in once a week, let him run it. Obviously with major trades they would be in the loop, goes without saying. If the owner is over the shoulder, working on everything, it completely undermines the GM in every way. Micro managing at that level is a disaster.

In your opinion, do you think Chipman micromanages the Jets?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Chevy has been at the helm for six seasons, the Jets have had one playoff appearance where they were blown out 4 straight. Both the Jets and Moose are almost at the bottom of the standings in their respective leagues!

So where exactly is Chevy's success, Chevy has made the obvious picks with his first round selections that anyone on this board could have made is that some great feat? You do get in PRO sports it's all about winning right?!?:shakehead

Anyone who thinks Chevy is even remotely close to good GM is sadly mistaken, in a lot of other NHL markets he would have been fired already!

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Rich doesn't mean they are savvy hockey people.
FA like to play where they can win.
Too many excuses for why we are worsening with better players.
This GM is possibly worse than Waddell ever was

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You say that in jest, but the groups I'm a part of are both abandoning tickets this year, and it's a lot harder to get rid of them.

Well there are some here that like the great job Chevy has done guessing they'll buy them from you.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
If the question is are the Jets bad this year then the answer is yes. I think a lot of people are equating that to Chevy is doing a bad job which is fine. But I think he's put together one of the best under 23 core in the league while iceing fairly competitive teams every year.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Chevy has been at the helm for six seasons, the Jets have had one playoff appearance where they were blown out 4 straight. Both the Jets and Moose are almost at the bottom of the standings in their respective leagues!

So where exactly is Chevy's success, Chevy has made the obvious picks with his first round selections that anyone on this board could have made is that some great feat? You do get in PRO sports it's all about winning right?!?:shakehead

Anyone who thinks Chevy is even remotely close to good GM is sadly mistaken, in a lot of other NHL markets he would have been fired already!

Good point about the Moose too. We have some okay prospects but realistically, the Moose are one of the worst teams in the AHL. Vincent was with the Jets as an assistant, the system is clearly not effective at any level.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Went with "Some" concerns though the concerns should be relatively easy fixes;

- new coach
- veteran goalie
- LHD upgrade on 3rd pairing

Things that should take care of themselves are another hit on a high 1st round pick, and progression of the kids. I keep reminding myself the Hawks wandered in the wilderness for a decade accumulating their talent before transforming into a championship team. With Tallon getting turfed just in time for Bowman to get the credit.

The Jets/Thrashers have been wandering in the wilderness since 2008 when Atlanta had to start rebuilding after a series of ill-conceived trades which sacrificed long-term gains for short term benefits. Kovalchuk trade further established they were in a long-term rebuild. This ultimately means this franchise has been in rebuild mode for 9 years with one brief playoff appearance thrown in. 6 of those years have been with the current Gm in charge. At this point we need to see some consistent good results ie make playoffs with some deep runs thrown in for good measure.

For the record, the Chicago Blackhawks decade in the wilderness was not some deliberate long term plan to gather talent for a Stanley Cup run. They went through a couple of GMs prior to Tallon because they failed to achieve any sort of success or organizational growth in the short time those individuals were employed there - one of whom was an ex-Jet GM known for his magnificant coif of hair.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Maurice comes across as a smart guy, he seems relatively intelligent and insightful. I'm not sure what he's done in his time here to classify him as too smart. Granted it's too late to change his systems at this stage of the game but his lineup usage still baffles me at times. The only thing that prevents me from calling him too stubborn as opposed to too smart is the fact he's actually played a lot of youth this year.

Then again, Pav happened, so still not convinced.

Too smart to want his talented scorers circling their own zone suppressing shots.

He wants them up ice. I know this because he's said it and shown it in the past.

He's not Therrien-dumb.

Really? What was the plan then starting from the 2011 season? Tank? Rebuild? Certainly could have fooled me with how we were bleeding picks and prospects on vets like Seto, Fehr, Tlusty, Frolik, Stempniak and Harrison without selling off pending UFAs like Jokinen, Hainsey, Anthropov, Wellwood, Seto, Frolik (I am sure I am missing a couple here). Signing vets like Jokinen could also have fooled me. Sticking with and signing existing vets to long term deals like Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Buff, Enstrom and not moving them for picks and prospects is certainly a sign of a team deliberately trying to lose to rebuild.

Let's call a spade a spade here. The Jets were most certainly trying to make the playoffs every season. If they weren't looking for good goaltending until the 15/16 season, that's just straight up incompetence. What actually happened is that the Jets signed Pavelec to a bad contract and being as cheap and unwilling to accept their mistakes as they are, they trotted him out year after year hoping against all logic that he'd give them good goaltending and not make that contract look so bad. It wasn't Hutch that faltered, it was Chevy and Chipman that faltered. Even if they had stuck with Pavelec but just swallowed their pride enough to sign a cheap goalie to challenge Pavs in free agency each year and made him challenge Pavs, the goaltending situation is likely solved by now.

I think they decided they couldn't knock-down rebuild, for a few reasons. They just sold 13 000 seats for three to five years, the Thrashers had been rebuilding and had an interesting young core. Not to mention it's a bad look for a small market, in general.

You can argue that they should have. They chose not to.

Doesn't mean they were trying to contend that whole time.

In your opinion, do you think Chipman micromanages the Jets?

Literally none of us know how involved Chipman is in the Jets' hockey operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad