CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Wasn't there a Riders player that got hammered and ended up in the drunk tank...not required to quarantine based on the CFL protocols. It is possible the CFL's protocols are f***ing dumb lol there is no logical reason why they shouldn't be playing. I don't exactly care whether they win or not, not bothered either way. Just my opinion.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Wasn't there a Riders player that got hammered and ended up in the drunk tank...not required to quarantine based on the CFL protocols. It is possible the CFL's protocols are f***ing dumb lol there is no logical reason why they shouldn't be playing. I don't exactly care whether they win or not, not bothered either way. Just my opinion.

But there’s literally a rule in the protocol stating no going to large sporting events, or you have to do a 4 day quarantine. It’s a pretty black and white rule and was broken. Especially when other players have wanted to go to similar events and have been told they can’t.

Pretty neutral on Toronto, since they’re the most irrelevant team in the league, but it’s very clear the league has a bias for them.

Reactions: Fairview

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
But there’s literally a rule in the protocol stating no going to large sporting events, or you have to do a 4 day quarantine. It’s a pretty black and white rule and was broken. Especially when other players have wanted to go to similar events and have been told they can’t.

Pretty neutral on Toronto, since they’re the most irrelevant team in the league, but it’s very clear the league has a bias for them.
Right that plays into the protocols being stupid. I fully understand that it was against the rules. It is dumb that it is against the rules. I don't see anyway anyone could see it otherwise honestly. Doesn't make the Argos/MLSE not ridiculously dumb for taking a risk like that when they knew it was a dumb rule.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Right that plays into the protocols being stupid. I fully understand that it was against the rules. It is dumb that it is against the rules. I don't see anyway anyone could see it otherwise honestly. Doesn't make the Argos/MLSE not ridiculously dumb for taking a risk like that when they knew it was a dumb rule.

I won’t argue that it’s a dumb rule. I’m pretty against any restrictions at this point with the vaccines in arms. But yeah, rules are rules. I don’t get what the Argos were thinking, because even though the league cut them a break, he still doesn’t get to practice with the team for a couple days or attend the meetings in person.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Bombers escape the western final with a win despite turning the ball over 7 times.

Don't worry Sasky, you'll get em next time! Preferably with a QB who isn't a scrub.

Reactions: robertmac43

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
2 Argos players got into a physical altercation with a Ticats fan after the game.

The video is short and has no sound so I don’t know what led up to it but a bad situation all around.

Link:

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Second link showing that it was the Argos players climbing into the concourse to engage with the fans.

Ugh. The Argo’s are just embarrassing all around. Bethel-Thompson also shoved the camera out of the way at the end of the game.

Reactions: Fairview

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Yeah there is going to be a bunch of fines and suspensions for the Argos. Not a good look at all

Yep. I was in the crowd as the Ti-Cat players were going around saluting their fans and in the area I was in post game, there were what looked to be Argos game day staffers verbally jawing at the players while security just watched in amusement. Recipe for disaster. One of the players had to be held by teammates, a wise move before things could of erupted.

Anyhow, looking forward to Grey Cup week and the game on Sunday. No doubt the Bombers will be deserving favorites in this one. Hoping the Cats' can turn the tables on them and get some revenge for 2019 when they got it handed to them.

Should be a great atmosphere on Sunday with the hosts being in the game. Cannot wait and hopefully the long suffering drought is ended. Oskie Wee Wee!

Reactions: hoglund and cyris

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
As a Ticats season ticket holder, I can say we don't have the brightest set of fans at the best of times....Love seeing the Argos lose but there is no need to get in Edwards's face like that. Also, no need for him to swing so aggressively....

Whatever we take the win and move on

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That won't fix their issues. Streveler's arm is very meh. Not to mention he had a pretty talented group of players around him in Winnipeg to limit how much he actually had to throw.

LaPo caught lightning in a bottle with in in 2019 but i can't see him starting a full 18 games going well.

Plus it's too early for him to come back. He'll probably bounce around the NFL a little more.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That won't fix their issues. Streveler's arm is very meh. Not to mention he had a pretty talented group of players around him in Winnipeg to limit how much he actually had to throw.

LaPo caught lightning in a bottle with in in 2019 but i can't see him starting a full 18 games going well.

Plus it's too early for him to come back. He'll probably bounce around the NFL a little more.

He was more effective with his arm in 2018 than 2019.
2018: 86/140 61.4% 1134yds 11td 5int 8.1avg
2019: 156/234 66.6% 1564yds 8td 14int 6.7avg
I can see him being an effective CFL starter. But you are right that he needs to right system and have the right personnel around him to be effective. We saw what happens this year in Ottawa when you bring the Bombers fairly vanilla zone running first offense to a team without Andrew Harris, Stanley, Drew Desjarlais, Nic Demski and the rest of that group. It wasnt super pretty and makes you appreciate the talent on this Bombers squad even more, IMO.

Also agree Streveler wont be back yet. He has that tantilizing "offensive weapon" upside ala Taysom Hill that NFL teams still want to explore, IMO. Hill was 28/29 years old before he started to make an impact. Streveler is still only 26.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He was indefinitely suspended by the league today.
What a stupid way to throw away your career.
Makes sense. Boneheaded move on his part. Unfortunate behavior from a lot of Ticats fans as well, but when you are part of a pro-sports team you need to watch yourself that much more

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
End result of a missed season thanks to COVID and a long regular season is a Grey Cup rematch between the Bombers and Ticats.

Hard to bet, or root, against Winnipeg for me, as I've always had a soft spot for that team for dumb reasons, but can't complain no matter who wins this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holden Caulfield

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
End result of a missed season thanks to COVID and a long regular season is a Grey Cup rematch between the Bombers and Ticats.

Hard to bet, or root, against Winnipeg for me, as I've always had a soft spot for that team for dumb reasons, but can't complain no matter who wins this one.
Been a rough year for the CFL. No surprise at the decrease in attendance. Covid, along with out of sight out of mind. Plus going up against the NFL for the additional 3 weeks doesn't help.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Been a rough year for the CFL. No surprise at the decrease in attendance. Covid, along with out of sight out of mind. Plus going up against the NFL for the additional 3 weeks doesn't help.

Ratings have been huge on TV. It completely blew away the NFL week after week. Attendance was often limited which is why in part the attandances are down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad