The Central Divison

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Not necessarily disagreeing, but just curious. What do we all think they would have gotten on the open market? I can't imagine anything less than 10.

I dunno, but committing any more than that would be crazy for 2 players. I think someone said it well on Chicago's forum, I think this means Chicago will be good to very good team next 8 years, but not great. They are just taking too much cap-space for any depth really. They need to get lucky with draft picks for this to work. Not to mention, do you think other Chicago players will they cuts If they offer this to their top players? I doubt it.. That's also reason why Roy and Sakic try to have this "roof" for players, no more than Duchene @6 mil(Of course that will change every year, at least it should)

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I dunno, but committing any more than that would be crazy for 2 players. I think someone said it well on Chicago's forum, I think this means Chicago will be good to very good team next 8 years, but not great. They are just taking too much cap-space for any depth really. They need to get lucky with draft picks for this to work. Not to mention, do you think other Chicago players will they cuts If they offer this to their top players? I doubt it.. That's also reason why Roy and Sakic try to have this "roof" for players, no more than Duchene @6 mil(Of course that will change every year, at least it should)

I agree with this, I think they are now in a Pittsburgh Penguins kind of situation. They will be good, but have holes they cannot address unless they get lucky.

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
I dunno, but committing any more than that would be crazy for 2 players. I think someone said it well on Chicago's forum, I think this means Chicago will be good to very good team next 8 years, but not great. They are just taking too much cap-space for any depth really. They need to get lucky with draft picks for this to work. Not to mention, do you think other Chicago players will they cuts If they offer this to their top players? I doubt it.. That's also reason why Roy and Sakic try to have this "roof" for players, no more than Duchene @6 mil.

Fair enough, signng two players at that amount is absolutely a risk. I know their contracts aren't up at the same time, but for arguments sake let's say Duchene and Landy's were. They go out and win 2 cups in the next 4-5 years (that would be awesome). Do you want them both resigned at a high price? Maybe not 10.5 but let's say 9 mil each.

I personally would, but I realize it really handcuffs you in terms of depth and adding pieces.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I agree with this, I think they are now in a Pittsburgh Penguins kind of situation. They will be good, but have holes they cannot address unless they get lucky.

This is exactly what I see happening, although at the moment Chicago has better depth than Penguins. So they are ATM in better shape, but they have to give up some good pieces to fit those two guys in..

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Fair enough, signng two players at that amount is absolutely a risk. I know their contracts aren't up at the same time, but for arguments sake let's say Duchene and Landy's were. They go out and win 2 cups in the next 4-5 years (that would be awesome). Do you want them both resigned at a high price? Maybe not 10.5 but let's say 9 mil each.

I personally would, but I realize it really handcuffs you in terms of depth and adding pieces.

Hey, It's not like Chicago had any other options. Kane and Toews just could name the price and Chicago must agree to it. It would be terrible terrible for the franchise to lose Toews OR Kane maybe even both. That would be huge step back and put them right back to rebuild basically(losing both). I can't blame Chicago for doing this, because they had no other chance. We would be in same position. We would have to do it, to keep our fans happy and team semicompetive. BUT Chicago is not going to be the same powerhouse It's been last 4 years or so. They are gonna lose some of that depth, which made them so great. That's great for us though. :nod:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Difference is Chicago is always able to find the Shaw's and Saad's of the world and replenish depth with cheap young guys.

That's true. Drafting is huge part of salary cap era. If you don't draft well, forget having winning team for 20 years etc. You just can't sign UFAs every year and be competitive, unless you're Minnesota Wild where everybody wants to sign for some reason.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Difference is Chicago is always able to find the Shaw's and Saad's of the world and replenish depth with cheap young guys.

They have some pretty decent young Dmen and a couple forwards in the system that can come in soon. I think if they can find their way through 2015 off season reasonably unscathed they will be ok going forward if they smart with their signings and trades.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Looking at the possible new line ups for the 2014-2015 season, I think we'll be able to finish 3rd in the Central Division, missing out on home-ice advantage in the playoffs but making a deeper playoff run than in 2013-2014. We'll see how things turn out but I am very excited for the upcoming season.

Pretty annoyed about the ROR situation but other than that hoping we can pick up a Cup in the next 5 years !

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
If we trade ROR early in the year, I expect a slow start. Mostly because there will be so many new players on the team. It could take a bit before they build the chemistry.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I've been looking at a lot of the different "14-15 Central Division standings" threads and I'm quite impressed at the amount of fans (Blues, Predators) who are simply dismissing the Avalanche for next year. While I do have to agree that in order to have any success again this year, Varly is going to have to be on his A game again, I think some fans are forgetting we have a pretty decent Top 6 for the moment : ROR, Mackinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, Iginla.

The only way I see us struggling next year and possibly missing the playoffs is if ROR leaves before the beginning of the year. I truly hope this doesn't happen.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I think 3rd, 4th, 5th in our division will be a tight race at the end of the season. I say we'll finish 4th and risk having to play the Ducks/Kings.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I voted second...but in reading the comments, I quickly realized that was overly optimistic. I still hope they can finish that high, and think they could given a bit of luck. Save and shooting percentage will both regress a bit, but not much, as Varly will still be above .920, and Stastny was the highest on the team for shooting%). The advance stats that some writers seems to love so much should level out some, but maybe not as much as they (Lambert mainly) seem to think.

I see all that making second place a stretch. The changes are a wash so far, so that is my prediction for the roster as it stands right now (plus Barrie). If they keep RoR, it could be better. If they sign and trade, then it depends too much on the return to be able to predict (for me, you guys may be able to better than I).

But I do not think they drop any lower than 3rd. Adding Vanek is not enough to push Minny past us. And Dallas has to far to go for the changes they made to get them into 3rd.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think between 1-3. Colorado will have another good year and it will come down to the wire, I think.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I still think the Avs can do very well, I think 2nd isn't a stretch.

1st: Hawks
2nd: Avs
3rd: Wild
4th: Blues
5th: Stars
6th: Preds
7th: Jets

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Only way the Blues finish that low is if their Elliott/Allen tandem goes to ****. And even then, their defence group is so good that it means they must really be truly awful. Don't see it happening.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Only way the Blues finish that low is if their Elliott/Allen tandem goes to ****. And even then, their defence group is so good that it means they must really be truly awful. Don't see it happening.

Injuriiees

Maybe

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
Voted 4th, but might be 5th. STL, CHI, and MIN and possibly DAL or NSH will finish ahead. My biggest reason for optimism is MacKinnon exploding for a monster season. At worst, Varly loses his mojo and they implode. I don't think that will happen, but he still has to prove it wasn't a one year wonder season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad