News Article: The Case for 4 on 4 Hockey

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I don't know that I agree. Maybe there will be a move to smaller, faster players, but it does seem that those kinds of players are having a harder time in the NHL. They need to be exceptional players to have an impact.

Look at what just happened to Vatrano, and how a player like Spooner struggles against the behemoths. Maybe that's just the way it is, or maybe changes need to come. I'm onside with the smaller goalie pads idea, though.

The Case for 4 on 4 Hockey

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
You can make a case for smaller guys succeeding as well though. Just because our guys struggle doesnt necessarily mean anything IMO.

I love 5 on 5 and increasing scoring will always be tough...I think the bigger issue is just making regular season hockey more exciting.

Playoff hockey is just so exciting games that finish 2-1 are great.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
You can make a case for smaller guys succeeding as well though. Just because our guys struggle doesnt necessarily mean anything IMO.

I love 5 on 5 and increasing scoring will always be tough...I think the bigger issue is just making regular season hockey more exciting.

Playoff hockey is just so exciting games that finish 2-1 are great.

Each team plays every team twice, all teams make playoffs, worst plays first. Losers relegated to b bracket. Lose in B bracket your out. Theoretically.you could actually have 2 playoffs against the same teams but it would make regular season shorter and build massive rivalry. No more divisions conferences etc.

Sounds nuts but it would be awesome.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I don't know that I agree. Maybe there will be a move to smaller, faster players, but it does seem that those kinds of players are having a harder time in the NHL. They need to be exceptional players to have an impact.

Look at what just happened to Vatrano, and how a player like Spooner struggles against the behemoths. Maybe that's just the way it is, or maybe changes need to come. I'm onside with the smaller goalie pads idea, though.

The Case for 4 on 4 Hockey

I'm getting really tired of the "look how tall goaltenders are now! No wonder scoring is down!" theory.
It's sort of missing the "look how skilled and well trained in fundamentals goaltenders are now!" or "Look how much more effective the butterfly is than stacked pads & flailing!" or "Look how light goalie pads are now!" or "Look how teams have learned to integrate their defensive systems with their goaltender, providing him with more visibility to where shots are coming from". Height just means the butterfly takes up more floor space. The extra 5" between a 5'10" 'tender and a 6'3" 'tender isn't making that much difference in scoring.

4 on 4 is interesting, but I'm happy with the game as is.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
The season is too long. So many games the players cannot possibly get up mentally for every game let alone physically.

Shorten the season by 20 games.
Each game becomes that much more important.
Thus more intensity in the game.

It will never happen because its all about the $, so just have 80 + games,
many of which 1/3 of the players walk through, then the playoffs.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I'm getting really tired of the "look how tall goaltenders are now! No wonder scoring is down!" theory.
It's sort of missing the "look how skilled and well trained in fundamentals goaltenders are now!" or "Look how much more effective the butterfly is than stacked pads & flailing!" or "Look how light goalie pads are now!" or "Look how teams have learned to integrate their defensive systems with their goaltender, providing him with more visibility to where shots are coming from". Height just means the butterfly takes up more floor space. The extra 5" between a 5'10" 'tender and a 6'3" 'tender isn't making that much difference in scoring.

4 on 4 is interesting, but I'm happy with the game as is.

I don't disagree with you, although I never mentioned the height of goalies. However, doesn't height naturally help for a goalie? If he goes down to cover the bottom of net with the wall o' pads, a taller goalie is able to cover more of the upper part of the net than a shorter goalie, isn't he?

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I don't disagree with you, although I never mentioned the height of goalies. However, doesn't height naturally help for a goalie? If he goes down to cover the bottom of net with the wall o' pads, a taller goalie is able to cover more of the upper part of the net than a shorter goalie, isn't he?

I was really responding more to the linked article than your post - the author was basing his idea off of goalie too tall + defense collapsing & shot blocking.
Sure, longer legs & arms helps, but blaming the reduction on scoring on taller goaltenders is missing the forest for the trees. They're just so much better now, and most of it has to do with athleticism & preparedness.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yes please would be excellent.

Game is overall slow and boring. Guys like Corey Crawford will always find a way around equipment reductions by being so big. Make them face as many 2 on 1s as possible and face as many shots while they aren't set and 10 ft out of the net on the perfect angle.

I liked early 90s hockey I have a small recollection of the game before the dead puck era anyone not up for regular season 4 on 4 probably loves the 95 Devils or the 96 Panthers team that lost to the Avs.

Would vastly improve player marketability with teams being smaller and players becoming more exciting. Less wear and tear on the body but 1-2 exciting open ice hits per game due to the speed picking up.

Don't watch the NHL much outside of Bruins games 4 on 4 could change that. Ice is too congested.

Bring me 4 on 4 hockey.

And give me a 10-15 second pitch clock in baseball getting games in in around 2 hours 2 untimed pitches per AB.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
are you kidding me?

can't believe so many seem to like this idea. There are plenty of ways to create more offense without making a monumental change like going to 4 on 4.

They still haven't done anything to significantly rein in the size of goalie equipment.

There are also plenty of rule changes they could make that would be significant but still alter the game less than removing an entire player from each team. For example if you want to create more offense and use more of the ice, how bout making offsides more relaxed? Make offsides for zone entries be at the hashmarks or make teams have to clear the red line instead of the blue line when clearing the zone.

They could also make the rinks wider, but that's a tough sell to owners since it would impact seating capacity.

These may sound like huge, absurd changes, but they would still be less absurd than going to 4 on 4 all the time.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
are you kidding me?

can't believe so many seem to like this idea. There are plenty of ways to create more offense without making a monumental change like going to 4 on 4.

They still haven't done anything to significantly rein in the size of goalie equipment.

There are also plenty of rule changes they could make that would be significant but still alter the game less than removing an entire player from each team. For example if you want to create more offense and use more of the ice, how bout making offsides more relaxed? Make offsides for zone entries be at the hashmarks or make teams have to clear the red line instead of the blue line when clearing the zone.

They could also make the rinks wider, but that's a tough sell to owners since it would impact seating capacity.

These may sound like huge, absurd changes, but they would still be less absurd than going to 4 on 4 all the time.

Gotta go with you here...

Stop ****ing with everything..

I don't want to see 4v4....OR 3v3 but..

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Page filler nonsense. I could have written this article in three words:

"There is none."

Finished. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events