OT: The Canucks are mismanaged

Ron*

What a total meltdown.

First, getting their ass handed to them in the first round each of the last two seasons.

Now, this incredible Keystone Kops act on draft day.

You really, really, REALLY have to work on how bad this whole thing went down.

When the playoffs ended:

In May, after the Canucks were swept out of the playoffs, Gillis said it was “unlikely†that Luongo would be back next season.

Today:

Gillis: "[Luongo] signed a long-term contract w/our club for a lot of money & very happy to do it. I don't anticipate there being issues."

“I’m shocked,†Luongo told Duthie. “I have to let this sink in and figure out what I’m going to do.â€

Today’s trade apparently took Schneider by surprise, too. The 27-year-old told The Record’s Tom Gulitti that he learned of the move watching TV, and that he hadn’t talked to anyone from the Canucks organization since the end of the season.

Per the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini will fly to Florida to meet with Luongo.

The quotes speak for themselves. I am just simply shocked at the cluster-**** this is. It really is amazing.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/30/luongo-im-shocked-after-schneider-trade/

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I am going to laugh when Loungo comes out like gang busters and play's the season of his life.

Loungo is not a bad goalie, he just has been mental frail over the years.

One of these years he is going to put it all together. Too much talent not too.

Loungo was not even the problem when the Kings sent out the Nucks in round one.

I thought Loungo played well.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
I dont put any of the failures of the Canucks over the last few seasons on Luongo (or Schneider). In fact, from what I've seen both have been class acts in a very uncomfortable situation, that neither is at fault for.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I dont put any of the failures of the Canucks over the last few seasons on Luongo (or Schneider). In fact, from what I've seen both have been class acts in a very uncomfortable situation, that neither is at fault for.

Agree, but I don't get this:

“I’m shocked,” Luongo told Duthie. “I have to let this sink in and figure out what I’m going to do.”

Uhh, you're going to play goal for the Canucks, chuckles...

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Uhh, you're going to play goal for the Canucks, chuckles...

Would you want to play for the team that has tried trading you the past year? I'm not sure. The ONLY reason they kept him was because that contract that no other team wanted to take on.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Would you want to play for the team that has tried trading you the past year? I'm not sure. The ONLY reason they kept him was because that contract that no other team wanted to take on.

Sure but "contract" is the key word. Doesn't matter what he wants, he's got no choice...

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Sure but "contract" is the key word. Doesn't matter what he wants, he's got no choice...

Of course he has a choice. I don't think he will put Gillis in a bad spot though. But, if Luongo really didn't want to be there, something would be done. But man.. what a bitter pill to swallow. That's what he has to think about. It's gotta be a hard situation to move on from.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Of course he has a choice. I don't think he will put Gillis in a bad spot though. But, if Luongo really didn't want to be there, something would be done. But man.. what a bitter pill to swallow. That's what he has to think about. It's gotta be a hard situation to move on from.

Something was done, the only reason they traded Schneider was because because NOBODY would take Luongo. I just don't see the Canucks now spending a ton of money to buy out Luongo because he's cranky and then have nobody left to play goal. If they were going to do that, they would have just kept Schneider.

I mean, I agree it sucks for him and I wouldn't want to be there either, and while technically he can choose to sit on his ass, I really don't think he would consider that.

HolyShot*

As long as the sedin sisters are there, they aren't doing ****.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
LOLuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

:laugh:

luongo-sad.jpg

schneider-2-jpeg1.jpg

Kingler

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Cannot really say the are mismanaged

Make playoff 10 of last 12 seasons. Winner of of Northwest 7 of 9 seasons. Yes they have not had similar success in the playoff but only was 1 game away from winner it all. But for past decade, year in year out, there's not many better team than vancouver

The problem is that their core is much older bc they have been winning (regular season) for so long. But yet they have not won the cup so blowing it up is not an attractive option. If they had won a few years back, IMO, the team would be much younger now and we will be talking about retooling/rebuilding. But understandably, given that they are still a very talented team and could win the cup if things go right for them, they will keep trying to win the cup until the core cannot handle anymore

BTW, people talks about trading or "buying out" Loungo. But to an owner, you are dumping a lot of money to a player that will not play for your team if the team buy out Loungo. Operation wise it may be good move but Financial wise its a disaster...and this is a business after all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad