GDT: The Calgary Flames visit Detroit Rock City(3pm) Game #6 CGY vs DET

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Might be the worst game of the season so far.

The shots on net is very deceptive. Despite having more our chances were way less dangerous.

Settling for perimeter shots half the time but it's not surprising when they cant seem to complete complex passing plays. I mean, just compare it to Detroit who had multiple odd man rushes and half of that is because they executed properly. (Defense certainly didn't help matters).

and when we have a decent scoring chances we shoot right at the goalie..

Reactions: Tofveve

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Huberdeau-Kadri-Dube all -4
Vladar finishes .800

There’s your 6-2, sometimes it’s that simple.

This team is always a disaster with a new coach in October to the point where they would struggle to 4-5-1 in the Swedish league. But I still don’t get why we need to extend our UFAs

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The coaching change was never going to solve anything. It's always been the roster. It didn't matter who was hired.
Agreed. Sutter deserved the shit he got last year because he was an asshole who ran some good talent out of town, but you fundamentally have a roster that doesn’t fit together. As a flames fan, this decade is looking like a write off.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Wonder what the attendance will be in mid December. I’m guessing we might see nights with 15,000 ppl this season.

Honestly as mediocre a hire huska is, I don’t see any coach getting this team anywhere. If he tanks the team I won’t be too upset, we aren’t good.
I will still argue Brunette could have made a huge difference

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not a lot to say about this one. Chasing the game and the Red Wings around basically since they dropped the puck. Knew missing Ras was going to hurt but yeeesh. Horrible in transition, one wide open rush chance after another for Detroit.

Thought Ruz and Sharangovich were alright. Everyone else was bad. Kadri was somehow the best player on his line and he still sucked.
The big positive takeaway for this road trip was at least it was out east. Vladar doesn't look like a NHL goalie and we're paying him 2.25 because.. why exactly?

All our 'best' forwards are complimentary guys who don't compliment each other.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Not a lot to say about this one. Chasing the game and the Red Wings around basically since they dropped the puck. Knew missing Ras was going to hurt but yeeesh. Horrible in transition, one wide open rush chance after another for Detroit.

Thought Ruz and Sharangovich were alright. Everyone else was bad. Kadri was somehow the best player on his line and he still sucked.
The big positive takeaway for this road trip was at least it was out east. Vladar doesn't look like a NHL goalie and we're paying him 2.25 because.. why exactly?

All our 'best' forwards are complimentary guys who don't compliment each other.
They should’ve been shopping his ass this off-season. But we have a risk adverse management in all the wrong ways, and now they’ll either be sinking games with him or paying him 2.25m to play in the minors.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed. Sutter deserved the shit he got last year because he was an asshole who ran some good talent out of town, but you fundamentally have a roster that doesn’t fit together. As a flames fan, this decade is looking like a write off.
Who did he run out of town?

Unfortunately for us , they are still here lol

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
blade-runner2049-blade-runner.gif

Glad that dumpster fire is over.

Nice guy, but BT really screwed this team. Unbelievable.

Call up Dustin ****ing Wolf already. The dudes mind must be melting trying to figure out why he hasn't gotten a real shot yet.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
They should’ve been shopping his ass this off-season. But we have a risk adverse management in all the wrong ways, and now they’ll either be sinking games with him or paying him 2.25m to play in the minors.
Ironically keep 2 sub .900 goalies should have been the risk we avoided

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
I think the philosophy of the team needs to change. We need to be faster. We have too many bums on this team who can't skate, and as detroit just showed us... Thats our kryptonite. Was evident when the Oilers spanked us, and has been since. We haven't brought anyone with speed in and the rest of the league speed is one of the biggest assets a player can have.

That being said we should try and move some of these slow guys for younger guys with upside and wheels. Shit even if we lose it will be a heck of alot of fun to watch.

One thing I always loved about flames hockey is win or lose it was always fun to watch, that is not the case these days.

Reactions: Tofveve

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I find your claiming Wolf should be called up hilarious, because the moment he has a bad game you'll be calling him a bust. I can only imagine your posts last night if you'd been watching him let in 6 vs the baby Canucks.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I find your claiming Wolf should be called up hilarious, because the moment he has a bad game you'll be calling him a bust. I can only imagine your posts last night if you'd been watching him let in 6 vs the baby Canucks.
Vladar was pretty awful last season and hasnt looked nhl caliber this season. He’s 26, what else does he have to show for us?

It’s not a one game assessment. You don’t need to make false assumptions if you don’t agree, but call a spade a spade. Vladar is up due to his contractual status at this point, and I can’t see how that helps us when we aren’t a team that is good enough to have bad goaltending. At least wolf gives the potential of better than what we got now.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Tough road trip. I don’t think they’ve played as bad as their record indicates.

Definitely need to cal up Wolf. We’ve soured enough relationships leading to an exodus. He will be the most valueable piece in the franchise and we can’t keep him down there. Vladar can go to the minors and play every game. It might be the best thing for him.

Reactions: joescores

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Vladar was pretty awful last season and hasnt looked nhl caliber this season. He’s 26, what else does he have to show for us?

It’s not a one game assessment. You don’t need to make false assumptions if you don’t agree, but call a spade a spade. Vladar is up due to his contractual status at this point, and I can’t see how that helps us when we aren’t a team that is good enough to have bad goaltending. At least wolf gives the potential of better than what we got now.
You've done nothing but shit on goaltending since you joined. Why would that change?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
You've done nothing but shit on goaltending since you joined. Why would that change?
Has our goaltending warranted praise since 2018? I thought Smitty was awesome in 2017-18, but he was terrible afterwards sans the Colorado series. I gave rittich praise when he took the reigns at points, but by the end he was toast too. Markstrom was great in 2021-22 but had the meltdown of the century against Edmonton and overall sports a 907sv% despite being behind one of the better defences in the league.

We haven’t had really good goaltending since I’ve joined except for the 2021-22 regular season… so 1 out of 5 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad