GDT: The Calgary Flames visit Detroit Rock City(3pm) Game #6 CGY vs DET

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Ah, we got pumped. Not upset I missed. That suuuuucks we lost though. Guess I'll read the thread now.

Edit after reading thread: Yep. Confirmed. I missed nothing, lol. Hope everyone has a good night and we'll get back in the W column next game. Book it!

Last edited:

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
Well, writing is starting to form on the wall, and it's not the "good" writing....

As a revisionist, I understand the Huberdeau trade when Chucky wanted to leave, you couldn't lose 2 of your core players for futures / nothing. I do not, nor will every understand the rush to re-sign Huberdeau long term prior to the season even starting? I get the dinner (Tre and Huberdeau) but I am not sure why ownership and the management group around Tre would allow this signing prior to getting at LEAST a glimpse (small sample size at least) of chemistry with Lindholm or at least Kadri.

What I see is negative chemistry between Huberdeau, Kadri and Lindholm (5v5, Powerplay etc.) Then you have Dube and Mangiapanne that just can't take that extra step needed, which this team really needs to becoming more reliable as playmakers, scorers. I said at the beginning of this year, this team will struggle to score 164 goals, its going to be a real grind to get 3 goals per game and our D and Goaltending is just not good enough to pitch shutouts.

It's sad, and somewhat unexpected that Vladar is playing himself out of the NHL, when 2 seasons ago he looked to be a good solid backup with ability to fill in as a starter in the short term.

Is it worth exposing Wolf to the team as constructed? It currently looks like a Daryl Sutter coached boring offense, but without any of the commitment to defense under Sutter's system. It's literally the worst of both worlds and this is not a "too soon to panic", it is a "this is what we are and will continue to be" for this season and the following seasons unless we can get faster - in a hurry.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
We are so f***ed. Especially if we keep Hanifin. Gonna be the same story in 3-5 years.

We cant win with a $4.85m Lindholm and $4.95mil Hanifin, are you telling me it will be even harder with a $9mil Lindholm and $8mil Hanifin?!

Kadri -4. Dude is due to catch fire. Book it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Matty Phillips and Juuso valiamki look pretty good. 2 young talents the flames drafted and could use
Ok but I doubt those 2 would make any difference on this team

Again, Sutter ran out his welcome and needed to go but he is not even close to the main issue. The problems are still here.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Ok but I doubt those 2 would make any difference on this team

Again, Sutter ran out his welcome and needed to go but he is not even close to the main issue. The problems are still here.
Valimaki would've made Hanifin an expendable asset. Matty Phillips would help our scoring troubles.

Both are young talents... we need to get younger and we need good young players. Right now our current crop isn't up to it, and we don't have enough of a pipeline.

Reactions: BRobMint

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Huberdeau and Kadri after they get Sutter canned and proceed to not backcheck and sink the team into the basement

I hope Hubie likes the basement and picking top 3, were gonna need some of that luck he brought to Florida

Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
A brutal goaltending performance ruined a decent road outing for the team. I am getting a little sick and tired of that being the case.

I am a Vladar fan and have defended him on many occasions but my god man.. He is running out of rope and fast. Some of those goals are just unacceptable at the NHL level.

Vladar and Markstrom rank 2nd and 3rd last in the NHL in goals saved above average at five on five. We have given up nearly 9 more goals than expected through just 6 games.

Enough is enough. Time to see Wolf in action.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
A brutal goaltending performance ruined a decent road outing for the team. I am getting a little sick and tired of that being the case.

I am a Vladar fan and have defended him on many occasions but my god man.. He is running out of rope and fast. Some of those goals are just unacceptable at the NHL level.

Vladar and Markstrom rank 2nd and 3rd last in the NHL in goals saved above average at five on five. We have given up nearly 9 more goals than expected through just 6 games.

Enough is enough. Time to see Wolf in action.
Analytical models aren't accounting for total breakdowns, total none chance goals. That Chiarot shot from the point for example and the other point shot he let in, those were super duper high danger no chance nothing mcjigger goals against.

The sample size is small, but it's much the same as what we saw last year.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Agreed. Sutter deserved the shit he got last year because he was an asshole who ran some good talent out of town, but you fundamentally have a roster that doesn’t fit together. As a flames fan, this decade is looking like a write off.
I'm hoping for optimism and chemistry will develop, but I agree there's a concern as to why our team feels like an island of misfit toys. On paper most of them should work well together. In reality, they don't jive very well at all.

Reactions: deleted user

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm hoping for optimism and chemistry will develop, but I agree there's a concern as to why our team feels like an island of misfit toys. On paper most of them should work well together. In reality, they don't jive very well at all.
I want to see a top line of Kadri, Huberdeau and Lindholm, with Naz struggling recently defensively, I would like to try him on RW. I'd also give Zary a shot.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Kadri
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coronato
Coleman - Ruzicka - Dube
Sharangovich - Zary - Duehr

For the bottom 6 I also considered
Ruzicka - Zary - Dube
Coleman - Sharangovich - Duehr

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I think it's one bad game, too early to write off the season on it, if the Flames had come back home 3-2-1 and 2nd in the division the talk would be how we'd pulled off a solid opening on the road despite having a b2b.

No real positives from the outing but there's lots of room for the boys to come home and turn it around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad