The calculus behind Ottawa's rebuild/"tank" strategy

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
It gives me no joy to write this post as the good fans of Ottawa deserve nothing of the sort that has been inflicted upon them by a cancerous owner. I'm trying to understand the mindset/strategy/mentality behind the Senators' remainder of season, off-season, and 2018-19 hockey season.

In the Turris trade they gave up a first round pick (2018, lottery protected) for Duchene. Now, the season is an unmitigated disaster and the team is headed for a bottom six finish and it looks like Karlsson will be dealt in the next six months, severely weakening next year's chances.

The Senators choose if it is this year's or the 2018-19's first round pick that goes to Colorado. What do they do? If they give up this year's pick, that's a great, great selection # to be at in a good draft. The player will be an impact earlier. If they keep this year's pick and give up 2018-19's, they look likely to finish bottom 10 or bottom 5 again, especially without their captain. That could be a damn tough year for fans to endure, especially when the financial situation is looking rocky.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
sin.png
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
There's no strategy lol. Just keep trading expiring contracts of players who want to stay for cost-controlled players. Rinse and repeat.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Calculus (noun):

The branch of mathematics that deals with the finding and properties of derivatives and integrals of functions, by methods originally based on the summation of infinitesimal differences.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
We have a good core that we can work with and try to fix, and we have good prospects. It's a perfectly reasonable situation to work with, but we aren't going to make it work.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Melnyk needs to go. Simple as that. Turris trade should never of happened. It was the linchpin to this catastrophe. Turris was a guy that was beloved in the locker room and community. Once the rest of the Sens players saw how Turris was low balled with offers and hardly thanked at the Duchene intro press conference, the rest of the team started to think about their upcoming contract situations including EK. A deep resentment for Melnyk and now Dorion exists with some players.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Taking the Fourier transform of this thread and HFBoards in general would be so easy...the content repeats itself periodically.

Actually on second thought, don’t even have to take the Fourier transform, just use the Fourier series.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The Senators choose if it is this year's or the 2018-19's first round pick that goes to Colorado. What do they do? If they give up this year's pick, that's a great, great selection # to be at in a good draft. The player will be an impact earlier. If they keep this year's pick and give up 2018-19's, they look likely to finish bottom 10 or bottom 5 again, especially without their captain. That could be a damn tough year for fans to endure, especially when the financial situation is looking rocky.

I guess it depends what happens during the lottery. If the Sens fall to 6th pick, give up this years pick.

If they stay top 3 make the selection.

Trade Karlsson to the Oilers for their 2018 pick plus other stuff.
With the Oilers lottery mojo, that guarantees the Sens at least one top three pick this season.

Problem solved.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Ottawa is not rebuilding nor are we tanking. Melnyk is cutting costs while waiting for the teams value to go up. Once we have the new arena (or when we secure the land/start building. I am not sure) the teams value will go up a lot. That is when Melnyk will sell. Until then he is going to cut cost to the floor and wait.

Dark time for us sens fans.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
giphy.gif

This is my take on this situation. Anything that doesn't lead to the trade of EK is a season saved for the Sens at this point. Otherwise, it's a catastrophe.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa is not rebuilding nor are we tanking. Melnyk is cutting costs while waiting for the teams value to go up. Once we have the new arena (or when we secure the land/start building. I am not sure) the teams value will go up a lot. That is when Melnyk will sell. Until then he is going to cut cost to the floor and wait.

Dark time for us sens fans.
My sincerest sympathies for Sens fans. We're going through the same thing here in Tampa with the MLB Rays.

Dark times indeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad