The c looks good on his jersey

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I like Rielly. He seems to be a glue guy in the room and well liked. Everyone I know who has to talk to him off the ice raves about him. Just a really outgoing guy, who is great at the public face of the organization stuff. Although, I expect it to go to JT or Matthews.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
He's not ready. I'm a huge fan but Toronto needs a Captain who can lift the team up on both effort and skill.

I'm not worried.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
what will hapen is matthews captain, tavares marner reilly assistants once marleau retires

what should happen is reilly captain
jt marner and matthews asssitants

member 300185

Didn't look good to me. It looked wrong. There are 5 other better leaders on this team than Matthews. And what got him into this lazy playing? He better snap out of it before the fans turn on him. I'm still not there yet but many more garbage games and I will want him traded.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Give it to Rielly and take the drama of picking one of the centers out of it.

This... Other than being a great player and solid teammate, he's been around longer and paid his dues. Suffered through some tough years. Matthews is still too young. Let him mature without having the extra pressure and Tavares just got here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews is my favorite Leaf and for the franchise to win, we need him to be the Matthews we all want him to be, but often seems like the entire hockey world is in a rush to give him everything: the contract, the captaincy, the celebrity, etc.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
I don’t get the sense that Matthews is a leader on this team at the moment. JT or MR are the better choices I would imagine. Maybe even Marner.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I'm not a fan of all of not having a Captain. I think Marleau should have been named Captain until his contract runs out.
I think if Tavares was going to be named Captain it would have been done before the season started, which is why I believe it's Matthews that will get the C before the start of next season.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Nothing about him screams captain to me. Tavares seems the much better fit. Rielly/Marleau the A's until Matthews fills into Marleau's A
Agreed.
I'd rather Rielly, to be honest.
Matthews is fantastic but he hasn't shown any leadership or tossed the team on his back during adversity YET. I'm sure he'll show tougher resolve when he gets a little older.
If anything, Marner qualifies more by being a big-game player IMO.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Didn't look good to me. It looked wrong. There are 5 other better leaders on this team than Matthews. And what got him into this lazy playing? He better snap out of it before the fans turn on him. I'm still not there yet but many more garbage games and I will want him traded.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad