The Bure for Jovanovski trade in 1999

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
looking back on it now, florida got the 1st, 3rd, and 4th best assets in that deal. ugh.

but then how often do you get anything approximating market value for a true superstar who either publicly wants out or needs to be traded for a well-known reason (usually $$$)? i can think of very few examples-- lindros, lafontaine, shanahan, yashin, bertuzzi, and heatley off the top of my head. but then we have roy, messier, chelios, gilmour, oates (the janney one), macinnis, belfour, jagr, hasek, heatley the second time, pronger all three times... look what mogilny (thinking the morrison one, but arguably peca too because while we liked the kid and thought he was promising none of us expected peca to become peca) and selanne brought back. thornton was mismanagement, but how much better could they realistically have done given what other superstars have gotten? and most recently, nash and gaborik's hauls look promising but still nobody got a true star back.

disappointing, especially since burke threw away hedican and ference (even though ference obviously turned out to suck). but at least he got back jovo. a lot more than selanne, thornton, jagr, hasek, etc. brought back.

and maybe more to the point, at least the canucks didn't get igor ulanov, filip novak, petr taticek, rob globke, and one of the picks they sent to atlanta to draft lehtonen instead of bouwmeester back.

I would argue Kevin Weekes was a better asset than Ference. Weekes was basically dealt at the 2000 draft for the 5th pick overall...

I'd love to hear perspective from some Panthers fans about this trade.

in terms of career value, i think you're right. but i was thinking in terms of ference giving three unspectacular years on florida's blueline, while weekes flamed out in vancouver, was clearly not the solution, and was traded (along with useful pieces in scatchard and bill muckalt) for a declining and overpaid felix potvin, who also clearly was not the solution.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Weekes was not the key to the trade for the draft pick--Kudroc was. KK was supposed to be some sort of stud d-man that people fell in live with, but fell out of love as well. ALso, remember who GM the Gm was for Tampa at the time and what was happening around the team. THere was a lot of off ice drama at the time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad