Boston Bruins The Bruins need just 2 points in 2 games to set the points record

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Simply amazing.

The team wants to do it at home against Washington which makes the game in Montreal moot. The B's don't want to deal with a Habs team trying to preserve a legacy they see every day in their room.

A week from now none of this means anything but let's appreciate what we have seen over the last 80 games.

1681103071815.png

1681103127078.png

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
The fact the Bruins are doing this in a Cap league ends ALL arguments against the records of the Habs and especially the Wings.

Suggesting both teams would have won more games is pure speculation. The cap is not.
Agreed. The cap not only limits spending, but also forces other teams to spend at least to the floor. Added to that, there is talented players over and over again that can't sign with their desired teams because of said cap. They end up signing elsewhere, making the talent gap between teams even smaller.

ShiftyNifty16

Blow it up, burn it down, hit reset and start over
Apr 11, 2014
Earth
Amazing season, and as if it couldn't get any better so far, my 9 yr old daughter has become very interested in hockey and the Bruins this year. A pure blessing for me. :heart:

All the posts trying to make light of the records, making comparisons to other eras, not having "loser points", etc. get tiring.

Funny they never start with an example of how their team did it with such ease and it being so common for their team it's not worth discussing.
Yeah, if your team wanted to bother, they could do it every year, eh?... But the don't and they didn't! Well done.

I want the Cup, but I'd love the Bs to get to 65 w and 135 pts, so every time another team even sniffs it they all have to hear about the 2022-2023 BOSTON BRUINS, just like Yankee fans get to here about choking a 3-0 lead every time a team goes down. A gift that keeps on giving! :naughty:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I continue to be in awe of what is going on. Hard to fully digest it. What the Bs have done in terms of wins, points, and DIFF in the cap era and in a league with this much parity is insane.

So many components in making this season possible, from DS making some awesome moves/signings leading up to this season, to Bergy and Krejci coming back for dirt cheap, to the hiring of Monty, to the brilliant deadline moves, and on and on. And of course the players taking care of business and being amazing. I know that records are meant to be broken, but it's hard to see these regular season records the Bs are setting being broken as long as the current cap structure is in place. It seems like everything has fallen into place perfectly for the Bs.

Just no way anyone could have seen this number of wins coming given the injury situation to begin the season. There were people who thought this team could be special and make a Cup run once everyone was healthy, but no fan on the planet could have imagined the wins and points records being broken.

I've been following sports for almost half a century now and this Bs regular season in terms of dominance and unlikelihood of taking place before the season started is right up there with any team any sport.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I want the points record after the next game, then the Bruins can swagger into Montreal knowing we beat their record and rest our top players, maybe even let Bussi start in goal.

• Love
Reactions: ShiftyNifty16

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
It's amazing. I'm happy about the Bruins. I love this season and I love this team!

But it doesn't amount to a piss hole in the snow.

All I have to do to prove it is to say "2007 Patriots."

Dunno how that makes you feel, but it means nothing to me.

Edit: I didn't mean for this to read so curmudgeonly! Enjoy it, celebrate, and get ready for the playoffs!

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

In that context, who better to break down this historic Bruins season than Scotty Bowman, who coached both that ’77 Habs team and the ’96 Red Wings team.

When I reached out to the NHL’s all-time winningest coach on Easter Sunday, hoping for a mere comment on the Bruins’ season, I didn’t expect the lengthy text message I got back.

Here’s what he attributes the success to:

“The offseason and in-season acquisitions, starting a year ago with Hampus Lindholm and this year (Pavel) Zacha, (Dmitry) Orlov, (Garnet) Hathaway, (Tyler) Bertuzzi. To me, two line switches, moving DeBrusk with Marchand and Bergeron and getting (David) Krejci back to make an all-Czech line with Pastrnak and Zacha has taken a lot of scoring pressure off the Bergeron line. Previously, the Bergeron line seemed to have to be counted on for too much.

“Then when you factor in the depth with (Charlie) Coyle, (Trent) Frederic, Tomas Nosek, Taylor Hall, Bertuzzi, Hathaway, (Nick) Foligno, you have a very deep forward group. Their defence group has improved so much with Lindholm and Orlov to add with McAvoy, (Brandon) Carlo and others. It is as complete a lineup, including the two goaltenders Ullmark and (Jeremy) Swayman, that I have not seen for a long time.

“Jimmy Montgomery does not use a short bench and has the knack of making all his players involved. He has won in the USHL, Western Collegiate with Denver and did a great coaching job with Dallas. He has a very open-minded style and exudes confidence to his group. I have spoken to Jim on occasion this year, and he is very appreciative of getting back in with St. Louis and now Boston.

“They will enter the playoffs with extreme confidence, and I would be so surprised if they falter. However, we all know in seven-game series, upsets are always in the mix. Don Sweeney and Cam Neely are experienced, serious guys who have made some outstanding moves all the way around, so it has been a total team effort. A lot of people have not mentioned their record-setting season has been accomplished in a tough conference with other strong teams like Toronto, Tampa, Carolina, New Jersey, the Rangers and others. In a very high-scoring league now, they have shown consistent defensive abilities.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad