Post-Game Talk: The Brick WOLL to the rescue - Leafs win !!!

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I have read the bolded part now 7 times and I still don't know what to make of the comment. Based on Barrie's play against us yesterday, you are still happy we traded Kadri to get him, even though Barrie isn't even a Leaf anymore? If you said Kerfoot instead of Barrie, then I could at least understand what you were saying ( I would vehemently disagree though that we are better with Kerfoot in our lineup than Kadri), but unless I'm reading it wrong (which very well could be the case), I don't understand how you are happy that Barrie "showed" anything last night.........

I have no doubt Woll is our back up next year, and the decision in net comes down to Samsonov or Murray. I think Murray has showed he has value and can be traded. Worst case scenario he can be bought out at a cost of $700K for next year and $2M for his final contract year in 24/25. Easy decision to re-sign Samsonov for less than what Murray is being paid and keep Woll.

There is no way that Woll will be exposed to Waivers and lost to keep Murray and Samsonov. Absolutely no way. If they did, it would show 1000% that Dubas has no clue how to assess goalies and build a Team. To his credit, I don't see that being a worry at all.

Nice win for the boys. I was hoping for Woll to get the shutout, and nice to Tavares pot a couple. He doesn't get enough credit.

Still vehemently disagree on sitting Liljegren to play Holl, but I've enjoyed watching Schenn. He makes people suffer standing in front of our net. Gotta love that.

Thx for the note. What I meant was, when we traded for Barrie, I was excited, because I thought he would play for us the way he did in the 3rd for Nashville last night. Obviously, he didn't. (So there was some heavy sarcasm in my post that didn't come through. )

I agree about Woll. I don't think they will expose him, he will be a key guy next year.

Reactions: LeafSteel

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Matt Murray is only contracted for next year (23/24) and is a UFA in 24/25. Are you trying to say if he's bought out next year that we have to pay him 2M in 24/25?
1679939070146.png

It doesn’t matter when Murray is a UFA.

If the Leafs buy him out, it is at a cap hit of $700k next season, and $2 million in 24/25.

Both are very easy to accept. I still think the Leafs can off load him in the offseason without needing any sweetener as the buyout option I legitimately an option, and other teams who want him will know it as well. If someone really wants him, they’d be more inclined to deal for him than allow a buyout turning him into a UFA, potentially driving up his salary and competition.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is it for Murray in TO .. he either carries team through round 1 of playoffs OR he is gone .. he knows it and so does everyone else although no one will say anything publicly .. personally assuming he is healthy for game 1 I think you will see him be da equal to Vasi .. we won't lose due to tending like past 6 years .. Sammy and Woll have limited to no playoff experience .. Murray was signed for 1 reason only to get team past round 1 and win a Cup

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
View attachment 676891

If the Leafs buy him out, it is at a cap hit of $700k next season, and $2 million in 24/25.

Both are very easy to accept. I still think the Leafs can off load him in the offseason without needing any sweetener as the buyout option I legitimately an option, and other teams who want him will know it as well. If someone really wants him, they’d be more inclined to deal for him than allow a buyout turning him into a UFA, potentially driving up his salary and competition.
Buyout by Leafs seems like a viable option. That would give us plenty of cap space to sign Sammy. I can't see anybody taking him without a sweetener though. Guessing a late 2nd or 3rd and 7th should be enough. Murray will be lucky to get Sammy money as a UFA.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Buyout by Leafs seems like a viable option. That would give us plenty of cap space to sign Sammy. I can't see anybody taking him without a sweetener though. Guessing a late 2nd or 3rd and 7th should be enough. Murray will be lucky to get Sammy money as a UFA.
So why can't we waive him? Does he have it in his contract?

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
It's not even worth the effort calculating the odds, they've effectively clinched. Only an historical collapse coupled with a near perfect record by the Panthers and scorching finishes by both the Pens & Isles would see the Leafs miss the post-season.

On a side note, and completely meaningless in the context of things, this is likely going to be the first season in Matthews' career where he finishes with more assists than goals.
Wouldn’t worry about the Panthers, not with Bob in nets. That expiration date has come due!

Reactions: kevsh

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
View attachment 676891

He'd be easy to deal if we retain 25%. He would then represent about a $3.5 mill cap hit, which isn't extreme.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
He'd be easy to deal if we retain 25%. He would then represent about a $3.5 mill cap hit, which isn't extreme.
No question there is no shortage of viable options that are not painful. He can also potentially increase his value with a solid remainder of the season.

Despite all of the scenarios that can play out between now and then, there are going to be dutiful Doomers and Trolls who will fill every thread that the Leafs will be relinquishing yet another 1st Round Pick this year,) and maybe more!!) to get out from under Murray's contract, when it really is just a steaming pile of bullshit.

Reality and facts be damned!

Reactions: Metroid

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Wow we are already talking about waiving or buying him out…….great job Dubas. What a mess
Buying him out for a 700k cap hit is not a bad thing at all.

If Sammy and Woll are the guys next year, that too is not a bad thing.

It's hardly a mess.

Buying him out gives the Leafs over 3 mil in Capspace.

Besides all that, no one knows what will happen come playoff time.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The last time Murray entered the playoffs having question marks and being a backup, he ended up helping his team win the Cup. Hope that happens again.
Jokes aside, I am really comfortable with all three goalies. Don’t think Ulmark had a lot of playoffs exps either and I don’t see anyone pointing at goaltending as a weakness for the Bruins.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Buying him out for a 700k cap hit is not a bad thing at all.

If Sammy and Woll are the guys next year, that too is not a bad thing.

It's hardly a mess.

Buying him out gives the Leafs over 3 mil in Capspace.

Besides all that, no one knows what will happen come playoff time.
that we may have to even buy him out at all is a mess. What the heck was the point of getting him in the first place. Many of us and many in the hockey world figured this would happen.
Getting him in the first place was just a waste.
Unless Sammy really craps the bed in the first couple of games there is no way you can trust Murray to start a game

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
We don't have to buy him out. People are just being dramatic.
He is a train wreck. If he is not injured he is not very good.
Dubas has tied our success to a goalie that his previous team didn’t even give a qualifying offer and just let him walk for nothing and a goalie that has a massive injury history and when he has played the last few years has been poor, just because he won a cup a number of years ago

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
that we may have to even buy him out at all is a mess. What the heck was the point of getting him in the first place. Many of us and many in the hockey world figured this would happen.
Getting him in the first place was just a waste.
Unless Sammy really craps the bed in the first couple of games there is no way you can trust Murray to start a game

I think Murray is Tradeable this off-season but you’re right it was one of the more puzzling moves we’ve made as an organization in the last few years. But would you rather have Jack Campbell right now? And maybe no Samsonov? This may have been the only play available to the team once Detroit won the Husso bidding.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I think Murray is Tradeable this off-season but you’re right it was one of the more puzzling moves we’ve made as an organization in the last few years. But would you rather have Jack Campbell right now? And maybe no Samsonov? This may have been the only play available to the team once Detroit won the Husso bidding.
That’s a big no to Jack Campbell. As far as Sammy I am totally fine with him right now.
it was a risk at the start only because I think the focus was that Murray was going to be “the man” and Sammy would be a bonus if he turned out great.
What I really would have liked is for Dubas to have worked a little harder getting quality goal tending a little sooner instead of relying on the scrap heap for our tenders

Reactions: francis246

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He is a train wreck. If he is not injured he is not very good.
Dubas has tied our success to a goalie that his previous team didn’t even give a qualifying offer and just let him walk for nothing and a goalie that has a massive injury history and when he has played the last few years has been poor, just because he won a cup a number of years ago
He's not a "train wreck". He's brought positive goaltending impacts to the team this year, just as he did last year for Ottawa. And he has extensive playoff experience.
What Dubas did, for the record, is give us the best goaltending we've had in a half decade.
And for the first time in literally decades, we have two potential playoff starters with positive impacts on the season heading into the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad