The Brandon Saad Thread

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I went to the Hawks TC fest and was very impressed with his game. Him and J. Toews were the best players on the ice IMO. Saad controls the puck like Hossa, skates really well and does a great job driving to the net and deking the goalie. He reminds me of a cross between Hossa and Amonte, very impressed with him and shocked the Hawks got him at No. 43.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
When all is said and done, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he ends up a top-10 player from this draft class and better than Mark McNeill. That being said, an impressive prospects camp, rookie tournament, and one day of training camp doesn't make a player.

Let's see if he can prolong this over the entire camp rather than fizzle out like Makarov last year.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Are you sure he will perform consistently like that?

We'll see. That's the knock on him but I think the groin injury he played with last year has something to do with that. One thing is for sure, the guy has a motor that won't quit so far with the Hawks. I can't wait to see this guy in the preseason games. Normally, I would say it's a waste of ice time to put out a player that is 99% certain to go back to juniors but Saad needs to be pushed so we can see if he is as good as he looks.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Based on what he did last season hell no he should have gone top 10. He was like Dustin Penner lite last season. Afraid to use his size, floated, I loved when he was on the ice when Kitchener played Saginaw.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's training camp. Fans of every team are going to go crazy over their new guys. Based on nothing. I'm reading very optimistic stuff about Zibanejad, Landeskog, Larsson and RNH this week. Add Saad to the pile.

It is most likely not a reflection on how these kids are amazing in camp. It's a reflection of how much people on HF miss hockey.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
You have to remember, he was ranked that high at the beginning of the year. It was his consistency and work ethic that made him drop. Something your not gonna see in one viewing or maybe even in a weeks worth of camp.

krazyhawk

Jan 9, 2006
Montreal/Nova Scotia
Speculation is his dismal 2nd half was due to nagging groin injury.

He seems to be healthy now,so we'll see which is the real Saad,the 1st half force or the 2nd half flop.

Too early to say yet,but so far so good !

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
Ya one whole day at training camp makes up for him doing his best Dustin Penner impression for most of the year

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I agreed he dropped a bit but let's not get carried away here, he isn't top 10 material there were several other players that could have competed from 6-10 spot

Valley Boys

He was pretty impressive in the Rookie Tournament - at least the game against Ottawa I watched. I'd be stoked if my team had picked him up mid-2nd. It'll be interesting to see what he does.

RomersWorld*

Ya one whole day at training camp makes up for him doing his best Dustin Penner impression for most of the year

He was the teams best player for the 3 rookie camp games and the best non-roster player in training camp scrimmages today.

It is too early but he isn't judging from just 1 day.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Craig Smith scored 6 goals in two rookie games, ergo, he should have been the number one overall pick in 2009.

Seriously dude, it's prospect camp.

Nevertheless, keep an eye on Saad. I've seen a lot of players come into this organization and a lot of them were really high picks. Saad really sticks out so far. I know he's only been with us for prospects camp and now the beginning of TC, but he looks determined to be a good NHL player and has the talent to back it up.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't know why posters are saying it's so laughable for Saad to have been considered top ten or even top five in the draft. That's exactly where he stood in all of the projections prior to this past season. If he reins in the consistency issues he will be an excellent NHL player, superior to the majority of those drafted before him. He's got all the tools.

Analyzer*

Alain Berger has scored 3 goals in the habs scrimmage so far in 4 periods.

He went undrafted.

Should have been a first round pick 3 years ago.

I don't know why posters are saying it's so laughable for Saad to have been considered top ten or even top five in the draft. That's exactly where he stood in all of the projections prior to this past season. If he reins in the consistency issues he will be an excellent NHL player, superior to the majority of those drafted before him. He's got all the tools.

Yeah, so ? MacFarland was projected to top 3 if I'm not mistaken in his draft year for a couple of years, then slide down and everyone knows why.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

People are understandably hesitant to crown Saad so early when consistency has been the biggest chink in his armour.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

That a player drops the more heavily he is scouted says something.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Blackhawks fans just haven't met the real Saad yet, there's never been a question that when he's playing well he can play really well.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Yes, Saad should have been a top 10 pick, just like Larsson should have gone 1st overall. :facepalm:

Sometimes people need to stop getting way too attached to prospects and realize that professional scouts know more than they do. It seems like every year the players who fall in rank are touted as ridiculous steals on this forum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad