The Blues' Bad Habit

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I don't see any big extrapolations from Stastny's comments. I'm baffled that some on here think they can generalize so much when we have such a limited insight into the private conversations.

All I take from this is that Stastny is starting to fill a leadership role for the team, which is great.

If there's something that sports fans love to do, it's extrapolate nonsense based on the smallest soundbytes

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I could refer those what Stastny has sayed its like what happends here forum. We are winning but it doesnt feel like we are winning. When we loose its end of world and everybody dies. So stop whining :P

Haha, so much win.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
This is the main reason why we wont win until Hitch is sacked. Great coach and he has done magnificent in St Louis, for god sakes we are a top team now, but to win in a knockout stage takes a different kind of approach and it seems that "gear" are not installed in this team. Its not a lack of quality or effort, its defo a subtil mental thing. We need fresh blood, in my eyes not just the coach, but also a slight shakeup in the teams core.

What you guys are discussing is when Hitch is honest and says we're winning, but not playing well. IOW, we beat scrub teams because they suck, not because the team is doing things correctly. Or, our goalies are winning games for us. Both are unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
Well you have to give him correct, that's a nice way to say they need to be more mentally tough. I agree...

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Guys I figured it out, PocketNines is Paul Stastny. Lived in Colorado, stopped posting before his signing, acting like one of us when it comes to thoughts on the attitude of the team, etc

haha, wouldn't that be funny?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Blues are a different team when they come out hitting. It's just they don't want to play that style night in and night out. Some nights you can get away with it, and some nights you can't (blowout losses to Avs,BJ's,Stars)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Captains don't have the impact they once had. I am not sure a new captain makes much of a difference
Well who do you place the blame on then? If it's not Hitchcock, and it's not the captain...

I realize not one single person will be responsible for the team's failures if they do indeed lose early again in the playoffs. But this is how sports work. You can't trade all 23 players, so the top players have to take the responsibility the majority of the time. Granted I think we would see Armstrong make quite a few changes, but Hitchcock and Backes are two of the leaders of this squad, and if they can't even lead the Blues past the first round then at least one of them has to go.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm done with this board for a while. Very disgusted with recent developments.

I'll cheer on the Blues in isolation for a while.

Final thoughts:
I think the team gets over the hump this post-season. The rest of the regular season is not terribly meaningful, and the players know it. An egg of a game is bound to happen from time to time. Try not to melt down over it, everyone.

I think Stastny is going to start showing more and more his worth as the year winds down and playoffs start.

Last edited by a moderator:

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
Let me translate..

Stastny: "When we're doing well, it seems like we need to trade Berglund. When we lose... it seems like we still haven't traded Berglund. That's got to change."

:laugh:

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
I see this as an attempt by Staz to lead and to kind of say "let's getting going guys". The time for crying over losses is past it is now time to get busy with April just around the corner. I would hope this guy has some say in what goes on in that locker room considering his cap hit, his legacy, his hockey sense and his track record. This is a good thing guys! It is time for the leaders to emerge and for the young boys to sit the bench. Hitch is sooooo not that kind of coach so i don't get why anyone would blame him for that attitude if it exists. This guy is a pro and says what he thinks. There is very little BS with this guy so when he talks about "buy in" the players themselves know it is true. Now i do think some physicality could benefit this team big time b/c this is still hockey and mashers are very under rated in this day and age. A big hit or a fearsome defender can literally change the flow of a period and even a entire game. It is not always true but when you lack that response and things are getting fast you need that momentum changer or at least a deterrent, a mood changer. I hear Statsny calling the team out to be honest and that is all part of it IMO. Could be a bit of a message to the brass with the trade deadline looming too.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I slept it off.

I want to apologize to Easton for venting on the forum. The mods have a thankless job.

I won't delete what I posted, but I decided to just mute my participation more than completely cut it out. I think this may be a historic post-season for the Blues, and I'd rather enjoy it among friends rather than to focus on the limitations of our forum. I think I was letting some other frustrations in life color my experience of things here.

And to post something on-topic:

This is the time of year that fringe play-off teams go into full despair mode. Teams like Dallas, Minnesota, Calgary, etc. They know they COULD make the playoffs, even though to outsiders they may have variable chances. But the Blues won't be able to artificially replicate that. It happens every season, where the teams who are in the top of the league have uneven performances late in the season due to this phenomenon. Its just not possible to 'get up' for every game.

Its not to excuse the Blues losses, or games like Columbus and Dallas recently. Those are not acceptable, and need an answer the next game. But they are also not indicators of some bigger problem.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I slept it off.

I want to apologize to Easton for venting on the forum. The mods have a thankless job.

I won't delete what I posted, but I decided to just mute my participation more than completely cut it out. I think this may be a historic post-season for the Blues, and I'd rather enjoy it among friends rather than to focus on the limitations of our forum. I think I was letting some other frustrations in life color my experience of things here.

And to post something on-topic:

This is the time of year that fringe play-off teams go into full despair mode. Teams like Dallas, Minnesota, Calgary, etc. They know they COULD make the playoffs, even though to outsiders they may have variable chances. But the Blues won't be able to artificially replicate that. It happens every season, where the teams who are in the top of the league have uneven performances late in the season due to this phenomenon. Its just not possible to 'get up' for every game.

Its not to excuse the Blues losses, or games like Columbus and Dallas recently. Those are not acceptable, and need an answer the next game. But they are also not indicators of some bigger problem.

Agree completely. The Blues can't win every single game. It sounds like the locker room has many similarities to this forum. We win, well we're supposed to win games so who cares? We lose, the world is ending. Is anyone honestly concerned that the Stars would beat the Blues in a playoff series? I personally don't think they would stand a chance, so I'm not worried about the outcome of games like that.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Idk.... the stars give the Blues problems.

I guess I just can't wrap my head around the poor performance against Dallas. The guys should of been rested, Dallas plays the Blues hard and have injured some of our guys, you'd think there would be some bad blood. By no means is it an indicator of the team failing in the POs....but it's mildly concerning to me. No one really stepped up and tried to push the team.

As for the post season...i just want them healthy.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Idk.... the stars give the Blues problems.

I guess I just can't wrap my head around the poor performance against Dallas. The guys should of been rested, Dallas plays the Blues hard and have injured some of our guys, you'd think there would be some bad blood. By no means is it an indicator of the team failing in the POs....but it's mildly concerning to me. No one really stepped up and tried to push the team.

As for the post season...i just want them healthy.

The Stars speed gives the Blues trouble defensively. Normally the Blues can match their offensive output though but not this last time. Usually there is a lot of open room in all three zones in Dallas v.s St.Louis tilts, the Blues just didn't exploit that. You HAVE to skate against the Stars.

Captain America*

If the Blues need Lindbohm to come in a supply an "edge" on defense.

We have big problems.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Thing is we DO! Maybe we are in trouble then. This defense does many things right but getting physical is not one of them. Bow, Gunn, Shatty and Pie are not physical at all. The 3rd pair is the only one that even slightly resembles that style. Those two are scaring exactly no one either though. When Jackman is your defensive enforcer then you ARE in trouble. Lindbohlm did get his ass whipped this weekend though so it is clear he is no fighter, at least not yet. I like the kid though Merica. He has not looked intimidated at all even though he should be. A blue line Sobotka maybe and that is a good thing.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So in JR's article today he today, he touches on the slumping Blues. He talks about them having low self confidence. I find this hard to really grasp, their "comeback" stats are good and they are a top 5 team in the league and have been. How can they have confidence issues...especially towards teams they historically beat.

I honestly think they are just bored with the regular season grind and are ready for the post season. A case of looking too far ahead, as JR mentioned.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I honestly think this whole thing is ridiculous. We're 6-4 in our last 10 yet the mood makes it seem like they are in some awful slump and have lost 7 straight.

This is exactly why I agree with Paul Stastny about what he said. People really do need to calm down.

Not saying the Blues have played their best hockey but if they get this rattled easily, no wonder they can't win in the playoffs. Imagine their mood when they lose one game in the postseason.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I honestly think this whole thing is ridiculous. We're 6-4 in our last 10 yet the mood makes it seem like they are in some awful slump and have lost 7 straight.

This is exactly why I agree with Paul Stastny about what he said. People really do need to calm down.

Not saying the Blues have played their best hockey but if they get this rattled easily, no wonder they can't win in the playoffs. Imagine their mood when they lose one game in the postseason.
Break Out The Cymbalta

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Exactly. It's an 82 game season, all teams are going to have patches where they aren't playing well. The other aspect is that it must be hard to keep the same motivation going into every game; 60 games in, we're basically waiting for the playoffs at this point.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
You can flame me all you want but I think there is just something missing with this team. That next gear, working through adversity, playing a full 60; whatever you want to call it or wherever you want to pinpoint it, something is wrong.

I still think the leaders on this team are part of the problem. I would have no problem trading Backes and adding another dynamic in the lockerroom.

Start building this team around 17 and 91.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I agree if they fail in the POs again. But not until then. I've seen Backes flip the switch and turn games around with his play.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I agree if they fail in the POs again. But not until then. I've seen Backes flip the switch and turn games around with his play.

Fair enough. I guess what I am saying is I just don't seeing them being able to do anything differently. I hate being a pessimist.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Fair enough. I guess what I am saying is I just don't seeing them being able to do anything differently. I hate being a pessimist.

Well...it's not like they've given us any reason to think otherwise lol.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
I slept it off.

Yes. Join the rest of us posters-turned-occasional lurkers. It's a significantly more pleasant experience.

And having guys like Stastny, who are calm and steady, cannot be a bad thing for any team in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad