The biggest upset of international hockey

The biggest upset of international hockey

• Total voters

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
USA/Soviets easily.... a bunch of college kids beat one of the best hockey teams ever assembled? Guys who have played together since they were kids and whom practice/play all day, all year long.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's the Miracle and not remotely close. The Soviet team was unstoppable and were capable of beating the NHL's best. They lost to college amateur players. It was a true David vs. Goliath story. It's widely considered to be the biggest upset in sports. Not just hockey.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
USA/Soviets easily.... a bunch of college kids beat one of the best hockey teams ever assembled? Guys who have played together since they were kids and whom practice/play all day, all year long.

It wasn't just "a bunch of college kids." Many of those players went on to have long, successful NHL careers.

The red army team was nothing close to one of the best team's ever assembled. It was an awkward transitional period for the Soviets where the Kharlamov, Mikhaelov, Petrov line wasn't quite as dominant as it used to be, and the new guard in Makarov, Krutov, Fetisov, Kasatonov where still a few years from their prime. They had struggled with team defense throughout the entire tournament (including giving up 4 goals to The Netherlands in the group stage) and Tretiak was not himself at any point. The upset was a colossal shock to the public in the Soviet Union but most people that followed the team closely were not surprised that they couldn't win gold.

It was a bigtime upset for sure, but I think the other two poll options deserve more consideration than they are getting. I think most people are voting Lake Placid just because of the magnitude of legend it has become.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Gotta be the miracle on ice.

It’s funny in today’s game I don’t think there’s the potential for too many major upsets. Even teams like Norway, Germany, Slovenia etc. can beat the big dogs every now and then. A truly shocking upset would be a non traditional host (Japan, South Korea) beating a powerhouse (Canada, Sweden)

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
It wasn't just "a bunch of college kids." Many of those players went on to have long, successful NHL careers.

The red army team was nothing close to one of the best team's ever assembled. It was an awkward transitional period for the Soviets where the Kharlamov, Mikhaelov, Petrov line wasn't quite as dominant as it used to be, and the new guard in Makarov, Krutov, Fetisov, Kasatonov where still a few years from their prime. They had struggled with team defense throughout the entire tournament (including giving up 4 goals to The Netherlands in the group stage) and Tretiak was not himself at any point. The upset was a colossal shock to the public in the Soviet Union but most people that followed the team closely were not surprised that they couldn't win gold.

It was a bigtime upset for sure, but I think the other two poll options deserve more consideration than they are getting. I think most people are voting Lake Placid just because of the magnitude of legend it has become.

Legends are born on unexpected events, and it is not even close. You only need look at what that Red Army team did leading up to the Olympics, how big of a beat down did they lay on team USA prior to the games?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

At the time they were a bunch of college kids. 5 went on the play at least 500 games, so not sure if that qualifies as "many" (when talking about a team of 20)

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
The 1980 upset was huge, but I think a little over-stated.

Keep in mind, going into the tournament everyone was judging the 1980 team based on previous tournaments where team USA was terrible. But looking back, the 1980 team was significantly more talented and represented a spike of talent from USA. Without checking, I believe several players from that team also played the following year at Canada Cup.

USA hockey was still building in the early 80s and was far from a force that it would become a decade later, but it was still LIGHT YEARS better then a decade earlier.

Last edited:

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I think people are really, really overlooking the obvious winner here. I don't see how this isn't Sweden over the US in woman's hockey.

For context, in the previous Olympics in 2002, the US team in round robin play scored 28 goals and allowed 1. They then proceeded to beat Sweden 4-0 in the semis.

In the same 2002 Olympics, Sweden was defeated 11-0 by Canada.

In the 2006 Olympics, they outscored opponents 18-3 in the round robin.

In the round robin, Sweden lost 8-1 to Canada.

That's not to mention at the US were the reigning world champions (2005) at that point and had NEVER not been in the final in any of the previous 10 Olympics or World Championships. And since that time, they've never not been in the finals of the following 12 since.

No way is USSR a bigger favourite and no way is USA a bigger underdog.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I think people are really, really overlooking the obvious winner here. I don't see how this isn't Sweden over the US in woman's hockey.

For context, in the previous Olympics in 2002, the US team in round robin play scored 28 goals and allowed 1. They then proceeded to beat Sweden 4-0 in the semis.

In the same 2002 Olympics, Sweden was defeated 11-0 by Canada.

In the 2006 Olympics, they outscored opponents 18-3 in the round robin.

In the round robin, Sweden lost 8-1 to Canada.

That's not to mention at the US were the reigning world champions (2005) at that point and had NEVER not been in the final in any of the previous 10 Olympics or World Championships. And since that time, they've never not been in the finals of the following 12 since.

No way is USSR a bigger favourite and no way is USA a bigger underdog.
Because, and I'm sorry if this offends you, but pretty much no one gives a shit a shit about women's hockey.

You honestly expect people to pick that over the most famous upset in sports history?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Because, and I'm sorry if this offends you, but pretty much no one gives a **** a **** about women's hockey.

You honestly expect people to pick that over the most famous upset in sports history?

I assume that's the reason, but it's almost objectively wrong. OP gave it as an option, which means OP is intending it to be taken on the same level as men's hockey.

So yes, people should look at the options objectively and pick the biggest upset, but I do understand why they don't.

I expect the other reason it's not picked is most American voters would rather vote for the American success than the American failure.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
It's the Miracle on Ice and AINEC. I remember someone saying that was like if a team of Canadian university football players came together and beat the Pittsburgh Steelers.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
It's the Miracle and not remotely close. The Soviet team was unstoppable and were capable of beating the NHL's best. They lost to college amateur players. It was a true David vs. Goliath story. It's widely considered to be the biggest upset in sports. Not just hockey.

Must say, that the girl who won women Super-G in the Olympics this year is kinda big upset. She was not even suppose to compete with skies, but with snowboard =D

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Miracle on ice for sure. That Soviet team was so stacked it's not even funny. Kharlamov, Larionov, Makarov, Tretiak, Fetisov and Mikhailov... That should've never happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad