Pre-Game Talk: The Biggest Question: Who Plays Tonight?! Leafs in Detroit, 8:00pm, SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Why is the start at 8? Strange.

Play Bernier for as long as you can.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is a huge game, where we need to win in regulation.
We have 3 games in hand (I know, right?!) over Montreal, and 1 over Boston.

So who do you play?
Bernier who would start his 10th in a row? Pierre McGuire said as long as Bernier said he felt fine and not sore, he'd start because this game is very important standing wise for the Leafs, take two nights off, and play Detroit on Saturday.

the LA game tosses things for a loop, because you know that Bernier want that game.

I will state on record - if Reimer goes in, I believe that he will play well, and get us the win. (nefarious reasons -because he knows the few times he gets in net, he needs to audition), but truthfully, I think he'll do well, because he'll do well. :)

Soo. game night, tonight!
(and reason why this is at 8:00 is due to the NBC rivalry night. )

ACC1224 is taking his family to that one and wants Bernier to start as well.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hope Bozak and Kadri bring their A-game because Datsyuk has been real dangerous lately, even more so than usual. This is a Detroit team that is stacked down the middle. They have so many capable centers that several of them are forced to play on the wing on any given night. Faceoffs will be big tonight in driving possession, luckily Leafs have Kadri for that.

Detroit has owned us on face-offs this season so far. Its what we do between faceoffs that matters I suppose. I don't think we match up well against the on the dot so, we better be prepared to take it back physically. Detroit will wear you down by supporting their puck possession with close puck support and quick passes.

Plugging them up in the neutral zone to slow up any offensive zone entry with their speed is a good idea for a game plan. We can skate with them but they are a great puck support team that if you are chasing forget it.

We do not match up well against them and if JVR and Kessel play soft defense against them,it will be enough for them to beat us. There can't be any defensive passengers in this one if we want the 2 points.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Why is the start at 8? Strange.

Play Bernier for as long as you can.

as I mentioned in the original post :p: ;) it's because it's on NBC, Rivalry Night. hence 8. which totally throws me off, because I will not get to watch Survivor until Tomorrow night. boo.

ACC1224 is taking his family to that one and wants Bernier to start as well.

oohoo

ACC1224 wants to take The Big Chief to the game :naughty:

Me too! don't you remember, you adopted me ACC1224?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
One thing that's a pleasant surprise is that the Leafs aren't relying on the shootout to win games so far this season, hard to believe they've only gone to 1 SO ... And are up there in ROW's in the standings .. That'll have some value later in the season

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Interesting statistic.

Bernier vs playoff team: 7-5-2, .928 sv%

Bernier vs non-playoff team: 4-1-1, .908 sv%

Anyways, hope the Leafs win this one! GLG!

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I would have went with Reimer for Calgary if I really wanted to ride Bernier for the important home and home against Detroit.

Clearly there is no confidence in Reimer - if you can't put him in against the lesser of 2 games (Calg/Det)

The backup is to take the load off, and he should have been in net against Calgary (eventhough they have been playing decent)

Now I am clueless.

I am all for riding Bernier like the starter that he is - Just need to make sure he is on point for key games.

I guess go with Reimer at home - and start rolling with Bernier again, no matter the outcome.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
One thing that's a pleasant surprise is that the Leafs aren't relying on the shootout to win games so far this season, hard to believe they've only gone to 1 SO ... And are up there in ROW's in the standings .. That'll have some value later in the season

I know, eh? this is shades of 2012-2013, where they had the third best ROW record, (when it was all said and done. top five, -10 for sure). vs. last year where we were overtime/shootout powered).

also we're basically .1 goal behind tampa for most goals scored in the league. Basically, if we shore up the defense side... we be scary good.

Yeah! Lets wear down our starting goalie in December so he can get injured and the team can collapse in March!

Reimer is a good goalie. Start him.

(sigh). you realise that no matter how it shakes out - Bernier needs to play 60-65 games? an argument can be made (not saying that I'd do this, it's just an argument) - that if you play Bernier now, you can 'rest' him more so in March-April so he can be 'fresher' for the playoffs. It seems to me that some goalies seem to 'rest' in starts later in theseason. (I could be wrong).

you could use Bernier now to secure your divisional points, and when we go on the road, and playing alot more of our western teams, you put in our more than capable back up goalie vs those teams.

again. it's an argument that's circulating right now.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You have to play both goaltenders at some point, hot or not.

Bernier doesn't exactly have a good resume of being healthy. Consdering he was pretty busy last night and has played 9 straight games, this is the perfect opportunity to sit him and give Reimer a shot.

I don't understand this need of burning Bernier so early in the season when he's shown in his short career so far that he tends to get injured fairly easily and was out for awhile last year with a lower body injury. Even the best goaltenders in the league right now get back to back nights off and rarely ever play them. The only time Bernier should get back to back games is if we are desperate for points near the end of the season and we need to ride the hot hand. This isn't the time for that.

The only goaltender so far this season to have played more then one back to back games is Schneider. Price did play one back to back set last week, which they both lost.

I am on board with this reasoning. The back up is fresh and if he is on his game is every bit as good. Reimer is a competitor and will come in ready. I have no doubt about that. Bernier is a rookie starter just yet and we do not need to push the pace. He should rest.

How the skaters reply in this one is the question mark for me going in.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I know, eh? this is shades of 2012-2013, where they had the third best ROW record, (when it was all said and done. top five, -10 for sure). vs. last year where we were overtime/shootout powered).

also we're basically .1 goal behind tampa for most goals scored in the league. Basically, if we shore up the defense side... we be scary good.

(sigh). you realise that no matter how it shakes out - Bernier needs to play 60-65 games? an argument can be made (not saying that I'd do this, it's just an argument) - that if you play Bernier now, you can 'rest' him more so in March-April so he can be 'fresher' for the playoffs. It seems to me that some goalies seem to 'rest' in starts later in theseason. (I could be wrong).

you could use Bernier now to secure your divisional points, and when we go on the road, and playing alot more of our western teams, you put in our more than capable back up goalie vs those teams.

again. it's an argument that's circulating right now.

Fair argument, although the talking down to tone is unnecessary.

Bernier has established himself as our #1 I will admit. However Reimer is still a great goalie.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Why? If a starting goalie can't play 10-15 games in a row with the way conditioning is now, we have issues. Again, now is not the time to change the roster, Reimer can start Saturday...and back to JB on Sunday. If it wasn't 2 back to backs (and if JB continued his play) i'd give him all 4 starts.

Bernier is in no way a veteran starter yet. He can be protected from overwork with Reimer as back up. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Plugging them up in the neutral zone to slow up any offensive zone entry with their speed is a good idea for a game plan. We can skate with them but they are a great puck support team that if you are chasing forget it.

That won't be as easy this game as Detroit will have Datsyuk back in the lineup tonight. Datsyuk was injured in previous meetings this season which lead to zone entry issues, but that never seems to be an issue for them when Dats is in the lineup.

We do not match up well against them and if JVR and Kessel play soft defense against them,it will be enough for them to beat us. There can't be any defensive passengers in this one if we want the 2 points.

Detroit will also be playing for sole possession of 1st place in the East if I'm not mistaken. Which means both teams will be motivated tonight.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Fair argument, although the talking down to tone is unnecessary.

Bernier has established himself as our #1 I will admit. However Reimer is still a great goalie.

well, then i apologise. I was 'reacting' to your comment. I didn't see it as talking down to, because i was just stating some facts.

If Bernier has to play 60-65 games, sooner or later he's going to play aback to back. (in theory). I'd like to see how he can do it after playing X in arow (which would be 10 games in this aspect). since we have a day break, I'd do

Bernier tonight, Bernier, Saturday, Reimer Sunday. Reason: get the divisional points which is > than getting the interconference point.

if it were me, I'd start creating a buffer now and create a scenario that you could potentially play Reimer later and allowing Bernier to rest during the tougher bits of the schedule.

I personally want to see where Bernier's "wall" is. (as I think management would want to) all of these things will go into negotiations, right?

as I said, whomever goes in tonight, I think they'll do well.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
It's early, and Bernier has ALREADY been tested in terms of endurance as being our de facto #1 with the 9 straight starts. He's played VERY well, but no need to urn him out. Additionally, as our very good back-up goalie, Reimer needs to get in a start here, and I think this is the perfect time. Bernier had a busy night; Bernier may test a back to back situation on the weekend; and we need Reims sharp.

Reimer in please, Carlyle.

Then, no matter what, Bernier starts next game. If Bernier plays well and doesn't have to play any kind of marathon game . . . then he plays the next night as well.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I thought they'd be in tough the last two games. No idea what to think any more.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
The number of back-to-backs that this team is playing this season is frustrating at times, like this week. In an ideal world, Bernier would be starting both the Detroit home game and the Kings home game, but I'd rather they not make him play back-to-backs. I think they should have had Reimer start last night's, Bernier tonight's, Reimer on Saturday and then Bernier on Sunday. What a mess this schedule is.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
detroit has been dominant since datsyuk and weiss came back and both have been ppg+ guys since their return. they've got great elite scorers and great depth scoring, a very good goalie.....and they play a very good possession system.

this one is gonna be very tough with the way our top line has been playing lately.

this is not like pseudo teams like the canucks and flames - detroit's old core is still legit studly, and now they have solid depth youth filling out the lineup.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I start Bernier tonight and Saturday and leave Reimer for LA on Sunday.

I would rather take 4 points from Det to close the gap in the division vs splitting against Det not gaining any group and beating LA.

Sure I know Bernier probably wants the LA game but it is early in the season and Bernier is fresh enough to start back to back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad