GDT: The BFD for PLD, is it OMG or PFB?

Is the acquisition of Dubois a positive step towards the Cup?

• Total voters

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Just by looking at the whole picture, it's a complete disaster.
PLD and Vilardi are similar so the team overall didn't change.

So we are back to the exact team that in no way or form can compete in playoffs and just benefits from an AHL division to get there.
To get back to square one we spend 1st 23, Quick, Vilardi, Kupari, Iafallo, Walker, Durzi and a 2nd

Question is now what to do with Danauld. 5+ mill for a 3rd line center is just unacceptable.
Also with Seattle playing way better, we might find ourself out of playoff next season.

How all that can be rated as screaming success is far beyond me

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
It's over its time to move on,
there-there-cats.gif

Last edited:

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Its interesting...PLD I see more as an insurance policy for Kopi's impending decline and leverage against Kopi's next deal if he doesnt retire.. so in that regards its a positive. Iafallo gone is a positive - he was slated for 4th line duties and that is too much to pay. I wouldve preferred to turn Iafallo into a 3LD but this is an OK use of his salary given the above. Reducing the signed forwards by 2 is good for letting kaliyev sniff the top 6... a benefit.. and we'll see if Turcotte and/or Fagemo can crack the lineup. The negatives are he used up all the cap space and doesnt have a starting goalie.. nor did he address toughness size or 3LD. So again like last season he is out of cap with major holes and will have to move a contributor (like RV) and/or rely on deadline moves to enter the playoffs with a prayer for winning vs EDM or VGK. So overall - I dont think it moves the needle for playoff contention, and there is a chance Vilardi will make him really regret it.

Reactions: Kurrilino

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
you know a trade is bad when you let a day or two pass by, calm down, and STILL the trade is bad

the trade is even worse after you smoke some weed

For those that enjoy inflicting self pain, i went and reconstructed the same trade on NHL 23, i picked Winnipeg for career mode, simmed 22-23 season (with trades disabled - to ensure LA doesn't trade its pieces), then i signed PLD same contract and everything, activated trades, went and got the Habs 2nd rd pick etc.

Only to have the Kings declining my deal and wrecking me a new one

Question is this... is NHL 23 AI GM > Blake??? :huh:

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Didnt want to do it this way but could be wrong.
I see what Blake is doing , goin all in.
And why, Tmac expiring then Blake.
By 24/25 Its now or never and may be on his last gasp, coach.
P. Roy.

Last edited:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I don't know could go a few different ways.
Maybe you know...

I don't think so.
It's not like the Kings got better in any way and the old problems still exist.
We will struggle more than last year to get into the playoff and if we make the wildcard, we face the same outcome as the last years.
From here on we will be sucked into a black hole of nothingness, to bad for playoff success but to good for an exiting draft pick.

Say hello to Vancouver and Calgary, mediocrity for years... here we come

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I don't think so.
We will struggle more than last year to get into the playoff and if we make the wildcard, we face the same outcome as the last years.
From here on we will be sucked into a black hole of nothingness, to bad for playoff success but to good for an exiting draft pick.

I could see it if we have injuries to key players especially.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think so.

It's actually really funny because...the problems are STILL the problems and the strengths are still the strengths

Forward depth was a strength, I guess they made it more top heavy instead, mayyyybe a little stronger, I think you can argue either direction

LHD depth is still utter trash, Gavrikov helps immensely, but it's clear they're over Bjornfot and there's nothing else of note near ready.

Goaltending depth is the worst it's ever been, arguably in Kings history, and that's saying something. At least going into the season on paper.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It was a nice band-aid for Kopitar’s final year, making up for Blake’s complete and utter failure to develop any of his picks into even into a 3C while Kopitar was still under contract.

You ain’t winning shit with Danault as a 2C and Lizotte as a 3C but it’s also far from ideal to be paying $24m for your top 3 centers.

Piedmont

Apr 6, 2018
Last year we had 2 capable centers, this year we have 3. Getting a center addressed an essential need. We still have good wingers up and down the lineup. It’s a significant improvement. Looking forward to the start of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Play and Lt Dan

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Last year we had 2 capable centers, this year we have 3. Getting a center addressed an essential need. We still have good wingers up and down the lineup.
OK, so center and wingers are addressed and very good. Center/forward for the top 3 lines are only 50% of a roster maybe. Now do goalie, the 4th line and size/grit/toughness. Seems to me we still haven't addressed 25% of our needs (same needs we've had for a few years now ongoing).

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It was a nice band-aid for Kopitar’s final year, making up for Blake’s complete and utter failure to develop any of his picks into even into a 3C while Kopitar was still under contract.

You ain’t winning shit with Danault as a 2C and Lizotte as a 3C but it’s also far from ideal to be paying $24m for your top 3 centers.

Kings should have been one of the teams best set up to take advantage of ELCs, even if they relatively busted and were just depth, but here we are signing everything to big money and term and thus turning to the 3am value menu.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Kings should have been one of the teams best set up to take advantage of ELCs, even if they relatively busted and were just depth, but here we are signing everything to big money and term and thus turning to the 3am value menu.

Maybe hitting on both was to much to ask. But just mess around with the tools on CF and it’s scary to see the type of roster they’d have for this season had QB and Turcotte lived up to the draft capital used on them and been productive players on their final year of ELC’s.

Kopitar - $10m
Byfield - $925k
Turcotte - $925k

That is $12m in center savings from what they have. You could have addressed goaltending, defense and toughness and had a sick lineup.

This is why it’s so insane to me that people actually believe the complete and total lies that come from the mouths of people like Murray and Yannetti. People actually believe the Kings are intentionally trying to get nothing from players on ELC’s, it’s mind boggling.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

I think "develop" is the wrong word.

Guys can either play center in this league or they can't. Not much you can do about it development wise.

Hard for me to imagine Kupari/Vilardi/Turcotte doing much as centers on any other team in the NHL right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad