The better post-season performer: Kurri vs. Forsberg

Cake or Death

are there any newsreports or qoutes about Kurri domnating anything. I believe Kurri was great but have never gotten the impression that he dominated. more that he was at the right place, right time and made the most of it with the big talent he had.

Forsberg on the other hand is a player that could truly dominate games and opponents. there are many examples of this. and while that in combination with his "what if" status is the big reason that he is often overrated I think it means something.

sure you could argue that Kurris lack of limelight is due to playing with Gretzky but Messier seemed to get his dues. it might not be popular but you could probably make a case that Forsberg vs Messier (post season) is a better argument than Forsberg vs Kurri. now I think Messier would run away with that (as he should) but I think Forsberg should here.

Or Kurri's lack of limelight might be that he was uncomfortable around the press because he spoke close to zero English when he first got here. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, to be great with Gretzky required very high skill and a very high hockey IQ. Kurri had both. While, yes, Kurri benefited from playing with Gretzky, the tandem of Gretzky-Kurri was mutually beneficial. Gretzky was clearly the better player, but my point is these were two exceptional hockey players who both made one another better. I'll snag a few quotes, though, from sources in Edmonton on Kurri's value:

"I think the best thing to happen to Messier and Kurri was winning the Cup in 1990, after Wayne had gone. I think everyone in the hockey world truly appreciated how great Jari was."
-Kevin Lowe

"He was the first player that played with Gretzky without any difficulties at all. He understood Gretzky right away."
-Bill Tuele, Edmonton Oilers Public Relations Director in the 1980s

And Gretzky himself...

"I don't know how exactly I can put it into words, it was something very very special. Especially when you look at it and say, here you've got a kid 18 years old who grew up in Ontario playing Canadian hockey and you bring a kid over who's 19 years old from Finland who doesn't speak any English at all. And yet when we put our skates on and got on the ice, it was like we had grown up together, thought the same way, felt the same way, understood the game the same way, and it just all came together as one. It was something really really remarkable. We didn't spend a lot of time together, like extra practicing or conversations or anything. At that time he couldn't even speak English. But it was amazing, when we got on the ice, it was a chemistry that, I don't know why we had it. We would get on the ice and he would have no idea where I was and yet the puck would be right on my stick. Or I would have no idea where he was and I could put the puck to where I felt I knew he was gonna be. And it was something very special, something very unique, and we were fortunate to have it together. We were good friends, we pushed each other, we kidded each other, and I think the biggest thing of all, we were unselfish with each other. He didn't care if I scored, I didn't care of he scored. It felt like when he was scoring I was scoring, and I know he had that same feeling for me. I think our unselfishness towards each other was a huge part of our success. And I think we loved to win and we competed hard."
-Wayne Gretzky

Infinite Vision*

I have to agree. Kurri was contributing heavily to 5 cup wins, Pete probably to 0.5.

Plus, Forsberg has been getting way overrated in hfboards in the last few months or so. That´s how it goes, now that he is hot on hfboards people start silly threads like this, but normally this would not even be a question. Nothing away from Forsberg though, great player

:laugh:

The funniest part is Kurri's the one who's being overrated in this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad