The best undrafted free agents signed by Montreal

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
please list how much better all the rest of the teams in the nhl have done without just picking a couple obvious examples.

Vancouver with Burrows. Devils with Clarkson, who was a solid depth player before the contract. The Blues with Lehtera who is arguably more dangerous than any of our centres. The Flames with Mark Giordano. The Ducks with Jonas Hiller and Chris Kunitz. Bruins with Torey Krug. The Flyers with Bobrovsky before getting rid of him. Detroit with Danny Dekeiser. Obviously the Bolts with MSL and Johnson.

More than a couple examples. And I found these within 3 minutes, but I can probably go on to list quite a few more.

But I suppose you're satisfied with the teams top undrafted free agent being David Desharnais?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That's pretty sad

yea it's not pretty. When DD is your best that's very telling. At least they were able to turn Diaz, Desjardins into Weise and Tok even though he's not very well liked, he was likely the Dogs MVP last year and was ok when he was getting more games, once he started playing less and less his game got worse and worse.

The Sekac for DSP trade could end up leaving egg on the face of management or it will look like a smart move or it will end up being much to do with nothing.

Condon is the guy i'm most interested to see what he does in the NHL. I was surprised to hear MB say in an interview earlier on in the season that Condon wasn't far from the NHL. Condon did seem to tail off as the season wore on but still had an impressive year so hopefully he turns into something for us.

Carr also had an impressive rookie season so we'll see if he can turn into anything.

I had high hopes for Yann Danis though, he was the main reason Brown had such a big year and he had a real shot at the Hobey Baker but just didn't pan out. I know the flyers wanted him bad and the Habs tried to sign him after his Junior year but he opted to return for his Senior year and it was a smart move on his part as he had a great year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Going to be interesting to see where Ryan Johnston fits in with our other undrafted FA's, and Joel Hanley as well since he signed his ELC as well.

NCAA,

Yann Danis (ECAC), Mike Condon (ECAC), Daniel Carr (ECAC), Brock Trotter (WCHA), Brendon Nash (ECAC), Hunter Bishop (CCHA), Ryan Johnston (ECAC), Joel Hanley (HE)

Euro,

Andreas Engqvist (Swe), Janne Lahti (Fin), Mikael Johansson (Swe), Alain Berger (Swiss, OHL), Robert Mayer (Swiss, QMJHL), Diaz (Swiss), Sekac (Czech)

CHL,

Dany Masse (Q), Jack Nevins (Q), Stefan Fournier (Q), Frederic St. Denis (Q), Philippe Lefebvre (Q), Cedrick Desjardins (Q), David Desharnais (Q), Thomas Beauregard (Q, can't remember if he got an NHL or AHL contract), Andre Benoit (O), Francis Lemieux (Q), Olivier Michaud (Q)

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Vancouver with Burrows. Devils with Clarkson, who was a solid depth player before the contract. The Blues with Lehtera who is arguably more dangerous than any of our centres. The Flames with Mark Giordano. The Ducks with Jonas Hiller and Chris Kunitz. Bruins with Torey Krug. The Flyers with Bobrovsky before getting rid of him. Detroit with Danny Dekeiser. Obviously the Bolts with MSL and Johnson.

More than a couple examples. And I found these within 3 minutes, but I can probably go on to list quite a few more.

But I suppose you're satisfied with the teams top undrafted free agent being David Desharnais?

Here a better list from wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_undrafted_NHL_players_with_100_games_played

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
The Blues with Lehtera who is arguably more dangerous than any of our centres.
I know I'm quoting an old post, but actually the Blues originally drafted Lehterä. Not sure if they still had the rights for him when they finally signed him though.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
DD ainec.

Jiri Sekac.
Please, the guy never proved anything and could be bound to Europe before the first of January.

EDIT: He was actually more productive for us than Anaheim and he was a black hole offensively.

16 points in 50 games

versus

7 points in 26 games.

Get a ****ing grip, this player is not good even compared to DD.

Last edited:

habsfan11

Jul 1, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Going to be interesting to see where Ryan Johnston fits in with our other undrafted FA's, and Joel Hanley as well since he signed his ELC as well.

NCAA,

Yann Danis (ECAC), Mike Condon (ECAC), Daniel Carr (ECAC), Brock Trotter (WCHA), Brendon Nash (ECAC), Hunter Bishop (CCHA), Ryan Johnston (ECAC), Joel Hanley (HE)

Euro,

Andreas Engqvist (Swe), Janne Lahti (Fin), Mikael Johansson (Swe), Alain Berger (Swiss, OHL), Robert Mayer (Swiss, QMJHL), Diaz (Swiss), Sekac (Czech)

CHL,

Dany Masse (Q), Jack Nevins (Q), Stefan Fournier (Q), Frederic St. Denis (Q), Philippe Lefebvre (Q), Cedrick Desjardins (Q), David Desharnais (Q), Thomas Beauregard (Q, can't remember if he got an NHL or AHL contract), Andre Benoit (O), Francis Lemieux (Q), Olivier Michaud (Q)

Frederic St. Denis was signed out of Canadian University (trios rivieres). I only point that out cause i think its pretty crazy. I cant think of another player who played in the nhl and in a Canadian university in the 2000's.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
DD ainec.

Please, the guy never proved anything and could be bound to Europe before the first of January.

EDIT: He was actually more productive for us than Anaheim and he was a black hole offensively.

16 points in 50 games

versus

7 points in 26 games.

Get a ****ing grip, this player is not good even compared to DD.

'Cause everything is measured in points?

Why don't you watch the Ducks-Hawks games when Sekac was inserted in the line-up.

Guy is a very good player, he might not be a huge point producer.. but I have no doubt he could be a 30-40 pt, positive possession, positive defensive player on the 3rd line. He was great with Eller.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

(Again responding to an old post but) with undrafted free agents there needs to be mutual interest...there's a reason why pretty much the only undrafted FA's we sign are from Europe or Quebec. Not too many 20 year old American college kids are going to make Montreal their top priority when New York, Chicago and Boston are calling.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
(Again responding to an old post but) with undrafted free agents there needs to be mutual interest...there's a reason why pretty much the only undrafted FA's we sign are from Europe or Quebec. Not too many 20 year old American college kids are going to make Montreal their top priority when New York, Chicago and Boston are calling.

+ Minnesota

Also, for the past decade, we've never been in a position where we could guarantee a few NHL games to those top college UFAs (aside from that one year where we fired our GM five games before the conclusion of the season).

However, I believe that the prestige of our organisation gives us a higher chance to attract the best undrafted/UFA players from Europe.

Last edited:

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
forgot to add him to the list.

Well for most of them I wonder how the heck they were able to get an NHL contract. Berger, Lefebvre, Mayer, Michaud, Lemieux, Masse (who I liked in Hamilton), Lahti, Johansson, Bishop (injuries got in the way) not sure what they saw in most of these guys.

If I recall, Michaud was signed because our goalies were injured and we needed a back-up for a week.

Naoned

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
In the last decade or so, it clearly is Desharnais. I can't believe I could read "Diaz". The guy is a borderline NHLer who probably will spend his career playing as a #7 in this league. Sekac hasn't proved anything. And until Carr plays a game in the NHL, he shouldn't belong in this discussion.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Wow, I had no idea there were so many free agents signings actually playing in this league.
You could make a pretty decent team with these players:

Kunitz-Johnson-MSL
Dupuis-Bozak-Read
Zuccarello-Desharnais-Bourque
Roussel-Garbutt-Glencross

Giordano-Girardi
Boyle-Krug
Dillon-Michalek

Bobrovsky
Hiller

There are 4 active undrafted NHL players that have hit 60 points in a season:

Alexandre Burrows
Tyler Johnson
Chris Kunitz
David Desharnais

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
Frederic St. Denis was signed out of Canadian University (trios rivieres). I only point that out cause i think its pretty crazy. I cant think of another player who played in the nhl and in a Canadian university in the 2000's.

Mathieu Darche finished in 99-00 at McGill, so technically, he played in a canadian university in the 2000s lol.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
There are 4 active undrafted NHL players that have hit 60 points in a season:

Alexandre Burrows
Tyler Johnson
Chris Kunitz
David Desharnais

but remember DD being our best undrafted player is pathetic.

Like the whole league has signed multiple all stars the way some people go on.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Seriously guys... I don't like Desharnais neither, but it's beyond hating puting a guy like Sekac before him, it's mala fides. Desharnais still produces some intersting numbers, while Sekac is still a project. It's no Tyler Johnson, nor DeKeyser, maybe Panarin or Plotnikov (time will tell), but still way above Lahti or Sekac for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad