Line Combos: The best third line

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
Probably unpopular opinion here, but what if we got rid of Kelly in the offseason and replaced him with Simon Gagne? A natural left winger, have a line of Gagne-Soderberg-Eriksson, could be absolutely terrifying to other teams.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Well, let's see if this claim you make is true, shall we?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142BOSSASALL&sort=shootingPctg&viewName=summary

Taking away Florek and Fraser's small sample sizes, Kelly's shot percentage is actually sixth on the Bruins.

I'd hardly call that "bad and inaccurate."

Third line is fine. I'd think the team's current success is an indicator that they're doing something right with their current mix, but I guess some people gotta change something for the sheer sake of change.

That's because he never hits the net, so that when he does, the goalies are shocked and let the puck in and/or aren't there because his linemates have made an amazing play. :sarcasm::laugh:

Nah, but shooting % is an overrated stat. Shots in themselves are quite arbitrary, since dump-ins sometimes count, sometimes don't, and missing the net altogether doesn't affect the shooting % at all (so a guy could miss the net 50 times and get an empty-netter and he'd be 100%).

Having said that, Kelly has been one of our best players since the Olympics, and I wouldn't break up that line for anything right now, pretty much.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Would it kill people to actually give Chris Kelly the credit he deserves? Put your damn agendas and backhanded comments aside for once.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
I just intended to write a post about Carl Soderberg and how he seems to have changed his attitude and play to become an impact player on this Bruins team.
I've seen him play since junior and that he comes from Sweden like me, of course is the link.

The more I thought of it, remembering things I read about training camp, I think Chris Kelly must be a key along with Claude Julien who had confidence in Carl almost right from the start of this season.

Another factor is Carl knew he had some offseason work to do. I've never seen him work like this. Being aroung the big boys in Boston was just the right medicine for Carl.

Since following him and Loui since junior League. It's naturally to have back ground facts that's more accurate than for ex my favorite player Milan Lucic.

Of course, I love all the Bruins players, some more some less. Maybe there's a better player than Chris Kelly, but, there is probably a very good reason CJ has him in the lineup. He brings so much to this team that doesn't show up on the score sheet. In fact when looking at the stats to compare all Bruins lines I was somewhat surprised Kelly didn't have more points. Likewise I couldn't believe Carl
is only two points behind Brad Marchand.

It's a unique team out there, that doesn't come along very often. Detroit has been successfull because keeping the core guys, role players year after year.
It's a fine line to know when to cut a player.

Then there's players who are better playoff performer than others. I like this team
and we may miss Denis Seidenberg more in the playoffs than in the regular season. He's probably more important to have in the playoffs.

But, this team has proved, they have guys stepping in, stepping up at crusial times.

Next year we may have another third line making an impact. I can't see a better right now.
On a side note: in Phoenix it was remarkable how good the fourth line were and got rewarded. I've thought Shawn Thornton lost a step or two while Dan Paille and Greg Campbell are underrated.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Would it kill people to actually give Chris Kelly the credit he deserves? Put your damn agendas and backhanded comments aside for once.

I don't see anyone not giving him credit in here. The closest would be someone saying that his shot isn't the best, which is true. Doesn't take away much from his play in general.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I don't see anyone not giving him credit in here. The closest would be someone saying that his shot isn't the best, which is true. Doesn't take away much from his play in general.

It's the backhand "compliments". Once you place a stipulation on your compliment, it is no longer one.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
It's the backhand "compliments". Once you place a stipulation on your compliment, it is no longer one.

I think it's possible to think that Chris Kelly is in beast mode and doing a lot of good things - thus giving him the credit he deserves - and think that there may be better options (all things considered) going forward. No slight against him at all, necessarily, it's just how hockey works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad