Line Combos: The best third line

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
THE BEST THIRD LINE I CAN THINK OF…
I never was a big Carl Soderberg fan. I never once thought he'd come here. Didn't like the nonchalance he had. I know of him very well. He waited and waited so long? Stubborn as bull. Was held off the National team, while being one of the best players and a scoring machine. Why? In the end the Swedish National team gave him a chance. Almost instantly he scored. Now I am very impressed with Carl. He's fast becoming a huge factor for the Bruins. A presence on the ice, you hit him and it's not bother him the least. His shot selections is superb and passing too. But, that he hits and he makes so smart plays, I'm very surprised. While not being the best defensive player or even good in defensive zone. I think his getting better and much credit I think should go to Chris Kelly. Claude Julien has very much early had confidence in Carl so there’s many reason for his rise. Of course you’ll see him make a bone head play once in a while or take a completely foolish penalty at a crucial time.. Doesn’t bother him, he’ll make up for it next time. He's always been confident, he could have helped alot last year if given more of a chance. I know he was disappointed, he knows he's good sometimes even better than he is. But to be honest, Carl would never before say “I love playing with this guy†(Chris Kelly, Reilly Smith mentioned). I simply think that being around the guys, great leaders the Bruins have, you quickly adopt or you’re not gonna be there. Being around guys like Chara, Bergeron, Kelly, Lucic, Iginla etc changed the attitude and character of Carl. He doesn’t say much or speak English very well, but, I like the player and personality a lot more now and Carl proved me wrong. I love that. When someone can really do that, it impresses me a lot. Carl Soderberg has in fact 41 points in 62 games. A ratio of 0.66 Point-Per-Game which means he’s ahead of Brad Marchand and just behind Reilly Smith and Patrice Bergeron. Carl may be a difference maker in Stanley Cup playoffs out come. I’m pretty sure he’s
Got more to show. A big center iceman is what all great teams have had.
I think we have to get used to Carl

Loui Eriksson, I’ve seen play since 16, I’m a big fan of Loui, but I am also
a little bit surprised. He misses so many chances, he never did before. Close, but not close enough. Through the years you could count on a very consistent two way effort and production as in a goal or two. Loui, who should not be confused with the player he was traded for, Tyler Seguin. They are quite the opposite. Tyler being electrifying and exciting to watch, compared to Loui, who does it quietly, but, those taking notice of the small things he does that is so important, leads to a goal, prevent a goal. In my mind he’s a kind of Patrice Bergeron in miniformat. That is when it comes to make plays no one seem to get credit for but are so important. I know many fans are disappointed in Loui not scoring 25-30 goals. You can’t compare the role Loui had in Dallas or even more important we don’t play a system that is nowhere how Dallas plays. I don’t think Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn would score as much in Boston without getting smoked a lot of time with the opponents scored instead. I’m glad for Tyler Seguin having success, but he’s no longer a Bruin and that’s it. Loui isn’t that outgoing character, kind of nice and shy, also after so many years in Dallas, he’s still not comfortable in interviews and sometimes I wonder why his English or finding words, is worse than before. Maybe the concussions are the reason for the missed chances and struggling a little bit with words. I was concerned about Loui’s way of playing, seeing him on almost daily bases. He’s playing with his head down at times, especially looking, as if he made the pass good, instead of being heads up seeing what’s coming from anywhere. I hadn’t seen much of that before. But, it’s a bad way for a hockey player. Good for someone looking for a big hit. Having played myself and I wasn’t our leading scorer, far from. So it’s making it so much easier to hit, with the head down. I hated what John Scott did. It was the worst. Brooks Orpik wasn’t much better, but, even I know he always go for hits like that. In hockey you just have a split second getting a shot away and sometimes it’s just that blink of an eye that decides if you get a shot away. But, counting average points per game I think Loui ratio PPG is just below Brad Marchand so it’s not points that is a concern. It’s more of scoring goals. But I think Loui has played extremely well during the winning streak as of at this writing 11 and counting. Loui has also helped Carl in a big and vice versa. You don’t win 11 straight games in the NHL without a good team effort.
As long as I can remember, which are many years, being a follower, believer and fan of the Boston Bruins I can’t recall having three lines like we have today since Derek Sanderson centered Ed Westfall and Don Marcotte. They were supposed to be the checking line or third line. But like now when one line is off they scored the goals and
All three took turns killing penalties and they scored a lot of shorthanded goals too. Never played on the power play.

I haven’t written about Chris Kelly much, but I think we have seen more sides of him as a hockey player than before. I knew he is the ultimate checking line guy. Everybody knows that and he’s one of the best penalty killers in the league. He has taking a lot o criticism from many, especially here. He did score 20 goals and then he hardly found the net. It’s sad when thinking about the lockout. It does nothing but hindering progress among prospects, guys in new teams, new roles. A guy just get’s going and is ready to improve on his numbers and plays. Then it’s called off. I think in a way it was what happened to Chris Kelly in a way, it even stopped Milan Lucic from playing up to par for a while. One thing for sure. Chris Kelly isn’t a 20 goalscorer, but he is a leader and he has earned his contract. I fully believe he is very much responsible for turning a guy like Carl Soderberg
into the player and person he has demonstrate. What has surprised me is that there is a much more skilled version in Chris Kelly than I ever knew before. He’s playing safety first always. But he has shown to be a skilled stickhandler, then he makes a move or back to back passes since playing with Carl and Loui. He never did that much before. This line keeps getting better and they make each other better. It’s too bad Chris Kelly got injured so badly. He has only played in 48 games of the 70 games the Bruins have played. That’s almost identical to Loui Eriksson who’s played in 49 games. Devided in two periods of injury, severe concussion. Let’s hope the guys on the third line stays healthy for the rest of the season and playoffs. If the Bruins can avoid injuries they are going to be awfully hard to stop.
The Bruins have three top lines and if you have two lines better than the above mentioned, you are good.
They can even roll four lines, but, don’t think they will in the playoffs as much as they have.
I’m not so worried about the defense as others.
I’m not worried about Tuukka Rask. I think he’ll be even better this playoff, if that’s possible.
I’m only worried about injuries to too many key players and
I’m worried about bad bounces

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
good post but good golly man, separate your sentences/paragraphs with spaces for those here with grey hair and eyes that aren`t the same as they were when he was 20 please

RaybCamn

Oct 16, 2010
Would be much better it they put a more talented winger with Yeti and Louie, Kelly is ok but his shot stinks and lacks good imagination to keep up with the Yeti. I am not complaining mind you, but that line could use anyone in Kellys spot and still come out shining.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
THE BEST THIRD LINE I CAN THINK OF…

As long as I can remember, which are many years, being a follower, believer and fan of the Boston Bruins I can’t recall having three lines like we have today since Derek Sanderson centered Ed Westfall and Don Marcotte. They were supposed to be the checking line or third line. But like now when one line is off they scored the goals and All three took turns killing penalties and they scored a lot of shorthanded goals too. Never played on the power play.

I never was a big Carl Soderberg fan. I never once thought he'd come here. Didn't like the nonchalance he had. I know of him very well. He waited and waited so long? Stubborn as bull. Was held off the National team, while being one of the best players and a scoring machine. Why?

In the end the Swedish National team gave him a chance. Almost instantly he scored. Now I am very impressed with Carl. He's fast becoming a huge factor for the Bruins. A presence on the ice, you hit him and it's not bother him the least. His shot selections is superb and passing too. But, that he hits and he makes so smart plays, I'm very surprised.

While not being the best defensive player or even good in defensive zone. I think his getting better and much credit I think should go to Chris Kelly. Claude Julien has very much early had confidence in Carl so there’s many reason for his rise. Of course you’ll see him make a bone head play once in a while or take a completely foolish penalty at a crucial time.. Doesn’t bother him, he’ll make up for it next time.

He's always been confident, he could have helped alot last year if given more of a chance. I know he was disappointed, he knows he's good sometimes even better than he is. But to be honest, Carl would never before say “I love playing with this guy” (Chris Kelly, Reilly Smith mentioned). I simply think that being around the guys, great leaders the Bruins have, you quickly adopt or you’re not gonna be there.

Being around guys like Chara, Bergeron, Kelly, Lucic, Iginla etc changed the attitude and character of Carl. He doesn’t say much or speak English very well, but, I like the player and personality a lot more now and Carl proved me wrong. I love that. When someone can really do that, it impresses me a lot. Carl Soderberg has in fact 41 points in 62 games. A ratio of 0.66 Point-Per-Game which means he’s ahead of Brad Marchand and just behind Reilly Smith and Patrice Bergeron.

Carl may be a difference maker in Stanley Cup playoffs out come. I’m pretty sure he’s got more to show. A big center iceman is what all great teams have had.
I think we have to get used to Carl

Loui Eriksson, I’ve seen play since 16, I’m a big fan of Loui, but I am also a little bit surprised. He misses so many chances, he never did before. Close, but not close enough. Through the years you could count on a very consistent two way effort and production as in a goal or two.

Loui, who should not be confused with the player he was traded for, Tyler Seguin. They are quite the opposite. Tyler being electrifying and exciting to watch, compared to Loui, who does it quietly, but, those taking notice of the small things he does that is so important, leads to a goal, prevent a goal. In my mind he’s a kind of Patrice Bergeron in miniformat. That is when it comes to make plays no one seem to get credit for but are so important.

I know many fans are disappointed in Loui not scoring 25-30 goals. You can’t compare the role Loui had in Dallas or even more important we don’t play a system that is nowhere how Dallas plays. I don’t think Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn would score as much in Boston without getting smoked a lot of time with the opponents scored instead. I’m glad for Tyler Seguin having success, but he’s no longer a Bruin and that’s it.

Loui isn’t that outgoing character, kind of nice and shy, also after so many years in Dallas, he’s still not comfortable in interviews and sometimes I wonder why his English or finding words, is worse than before. Maybe the concussions are the reason for the missed chances and struggling a little bit with words.

I was concerned about Loui’s way of playing, seeing him on almost daily bases. He’s playing with his head down at times, especially looking, as if he made the pass good, instead of being heads up seeing what’s coming from anywhere. I hadn’t seen much of that before. But, it’s a bad way for a hockey player. Good for someone looking for a big hit.

Having played myself and I wasn’t our leading scorer, far from. So it’s making it so much easier to hit, with the head down. I hated what John Scott did. It was the worst. Brooks Orpik wasn’t much better, but, even I know he always go for hits like that. In hockey you just have a split second getting a shot away and sometimes it’s just that blink of an eye that decides if you get a shot away.

But, counting average points per game I think Loui ratio PPG is just below Brad Marchand so it’s not points that is a concern. It’s more of scoring goals. But I think Loui has played extremely well during the winning streak as of at this writing 11 and counting. Loui has also helped Carl in a big and vice versa. You don’t win 11 straight games in the NHL without a good team effort.

I haven’t written about Chris Kelly much, but I think we have seen more sides of him as a hockey player than before. I knew he is the ultimate checking line guy. Everybody knows that and he’s one of the best penalty killers in the league. He has taking a lot o criticism from many, especially here.

He did score 20 goals and then he hardly found the net. It’s sad when thinking about the lockout. It does nothing but hindering progress among prospects, guys in new teams, new roles. A guy just get’s going and is ready to improve on his numbers and plays. Then it’s called off. I think in a way it was what happened to Chris Kelly in a way, it even stopped Milan Lucic from playing up to par for a while.

One thing for sure. Chris Kelly isn’t a 20 goalscorer, but he is a leader and he has earned his contract. I fully believe he is very much responsible for turning a guy like Carl Soderberg into the player and person he has demonstrate.

What has surprised me is that there is a much more skilled version in Chris Kelly than I ever knew before. He’s playing safety first always. But he has shown to be a skilled stickhandler, then he makes a move or back-to-back passes since playing with Carl and Loui. He never did that much before. This line keeps getting better and they make each other better.

It’s too bad Chris Kelly got injured so badly. He has only played in 48 games of the 70 games the Bruins have played. That’s almost identical to Loui Eriksson who’s played in 49 games. Divided in two periods of injury, severe concussion. Let’s hope the guys on the third line stays healthy for the rest of the season and playoffs. If the Bruins can avoid injuries they are going to be awfully hard to stop.

The Bruins have three top lines and if you have two lines better than the above mentioned, you are good. They can even roll four lines, but, don’t think they will in the playoffs as much as they have. I’m not so worried about the defense as others.
I’m not worried about Tuukka Rask. I think he’ll be even better this playoff, if that’s possible. I’m only worried about injuries to too many key players and I’m worried about bad bounces.

I have edited your post to make it more readable. Hope you don't mind. I did move one paragraph out of the middle of the post to the top of the post. Seemed like it was a more appropriate place for it. Other than that move and the paragraphs, those were the only edits I made.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Would be much better it they put a more talented winger with Yeti and Louie, Kelly is ok but his shot stinks and lacks good imagination to keep up with the Yeti. I am not complaining mind you, but that line could use anyone in Kellys spot and still come out shining.

So, the 3rd line could use a "more talented winger with Yeti and Louie" in one sentence, then you finish with " that line could use anyone in Kellys spot and come out shining" so I ask, which is it, "anyone" or "more talented"??? Would you prefer Chris Bourque/Jay Pandalfo????

Kelly has been fine, tis not like that line is producing or playing effective hockey in spite of Kelly`s presence, if you are unable to see how it is that Kelly is contributing on that line (and I`m not necessarily talking about stats) then I`ll make the friendly recommendation to watch a touch closer

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think our third line is why the Bruins are on a 12 game win streak.

They don't have points in every game but they are good enough and scary enough that opposing teams have to burn up their top pairings. I think this is why the team is so dominant in the 3rd.

Julien rolls his 4 lines and 3 of the 4 are always a danger to score and the 4th can cycle the puck until you are dizzy. Julien also trusts any of those 4 lines to get the job done at both ends of the ice.

Yeti has blossomed since the move to center and I think he and. Louie have real chemistry. Info wish sometimes Kelly had better hands (Kellyndoesnt always respond quickly or with enough finesse to score off some of the feeds from the Yeti but the fact that he can make those feeds still makes the line dangerous).

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Kelly is fine on the line for this year. Next year will have some player movement, so we'll see about him staying. Chemistry seems good right now. Besides, he offers some defensive presence.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I have edited your post to make it more readable. Hope you don't mind. I did move one paragraph out of the middle of the post to the top of the post. Seemed like it was a more appropriate place for it. Other than that move and the paragraphs, those were the only edits I made.

Thank you for editing this. It is a very good post and no disrespect to the poster(now a much eaiser read). I also think the emergince of the third line, in particular Sodenberg, has made the Bruins a far stronger team my bigest concern is the D

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Pepe,

Will only disagree with one thing, Soderberg's defensive game. While there is always room for improvement (team motto) his defensive game is underrated. His positioning is just fine, he back checks hard, knows how to get in the lanes, very active stick... the list goes on.

I've never been worried about his d-game. Always thought he had it. Did it suffer early on? Probably. But learning a new system, new ice surface and a position (wing) he has never been comfortable playing played into that. Soderberg himself said that he had problems knowing "where to be" playing on the wing early on.

RaybCamn

Oct 16, 2010
What I am saying Kelly has been ok on that line, but anyone on that line can produce like Kelly is, Paille could produce more points than Kelly, Campbell and Thorton could product what Kelly is now. I am talking points not better on D. We can get more out of the 3rd line by putting someone on that line that can shoot. Kelly's shot is bad and inaccurate. We have tons of player in Providence that can out produce Kelly in scoring, we are not using the 3rd line to shut down opposing teams so why is he not on the 4th line.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
What I am saying Kelly has been ok on that line, but anyone on that line can produce like Kelly is, Paille could produce more points than Kelly, Campbell and Thorton could product what Kelly is now.

I think there are some people who don't agree with you, including the coaching staff. Imagine that.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

I'm far from a Chris Kelly apologist, but Kelly's defensive responsibility and willingness to go into the dirty areas creates more space for the Swedes to do their thing.

Offensively? yeah he's nothing special, but what he brings to that line is far more than something that shows up in the stats.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Although I have been misinterpreted in my feelings for Chris Kelly, my opinion hasn't changed.

Julien and his staff dress and lineup players where they so choose. Nothing I can do about it but try and see it from their point of view rather than nag, jump up and down and scream "stupidity" about it.

And I can fully understand why Chris Kelly is on that line. No problem with it.

When Krejci, Lucic and Iginla are drawing the top pairs in the playoffs, and Bergy, Marchand and Smith are drawing the second pair, this line will do the damage.

Name a third line or bottom pairing d that you can line up against them night after night in a 7 game series?

Thought so. Enjoy the ride :D

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I don't think the team needs to replace Kelly on the third line.

Right now the four lines are working and working well-the fact that Julien hasn't felt the need to change things speaks for what the coaches think.

I still wish Kelly had better hands, but Kelly plays solid D and he isn't afraid to go to the net (one thing all three players do willingly is get in front of the net where anything can happen).

I am still amazed sometimes at the seams Soderberg sees and gets a pass through to. Sometimes he misses the mark but not often.

This third line is what the team was missing last season. I think the beauty of how our lines work right now is that there really isn't a super weak line that an opposing coach views as easy pickings for their top line (some of our defensive pairs might be, but the forward group is a hard shift no matter what line is on the ice).

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Oh and Dom-you are spot on-barring injury in a seven game series our third line can take any third line.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Pepe,

Will only disagree with one thing, Soderberg's defensive game. While there is always room for improvement (team motto) his defensive game is underrated. His positioning is just fine, he back checks hard, knows how to get in the lanes, very active stick... the list goes on.

I've never been worried about his d-game. Always thought he had it. Did it suffer early on? Probably. But learning a new system, new ice surface and a position (wing) he has never been comfortable playing played into that. Soderberg himself said that he had problems knowing "where to be" playing on the wing early on.

I agree, he's very underrated in his own end. He's saved a couple of goals this year.

Not his strong suit, obviously, but he gets it done. Nothing to worry about, unlike someone like Spooner. Helps when you have two terrific defensive players in Kelly and Loui to cover up the occasional mistake. But he gives just as much effort in the defensive zone.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Pepe,

-
Agree with this. His body positioning for puck battle is very good. He is an effective player right now on all the ice surface.

I also believe Kelly is fitting in their really well.

I just like our four lines as they are actually built.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't care what his production is, Kelly has been playing some amazing hockey since coming back from his injury.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Good post.

I wonder why Pepe from Stockholm likes the 3rd line? :)

Just playing, I love it too. Best in the league by far IMO. They are all so responsible.

I also think Kelly is the right fit opposite of Soda and Loui- the way he crashes the net and mucks it up works very well with them. All 3 of them have no fear going to the dirty areas.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Although I have been misinterpreted in my feelings for Chris Kelly, my opinion hasn't changed.

Julien and his staff dress and lineup players where they so choose. Nothing I can do about it but try and see it from their point of view rather than nag, jump up and down and scream "stupidity" about it.

And I can fully understand why Chris Kelly is on that line. No problem with it.

When Krejci, Lucic and Iginla are drawing the top pairs in the playoffs, and Bergy, Marchand and Smith are drawing the second pair, this line will do the damage.

Name a third line or bottom pairing d that you can line up against them night after night in a 7 game series?

Thought so. Enjoy the ride :D

Gardiner and Reilly:sarcasm:

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
What I am saying Kelly has been ok on that line, but anyone on that line can produce like Kelly is, Paille could produce more points than Kelly, Campbell and Thorton could product what Kelly is now. I am talking points not better on D. We can get more out of the 3rd line by putting someone on that line that can shoot. Kelly's shot is bad and inaccurate. We have tons of player in Providence that can out produce Kelly in scoring, we are not using the 3rd line to shut down opposing teams so why is he not on the 4th line.

Well, let's see if this claim you make is true, shall we?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142BOSSASALL&sort=shootingPctg&viewName=summary

Taking away Florek and Fraser's small sample sizes, Kelly's shot percentage is actually sixth on the Bruins.

I'd hardly call that "bad and inaccurate."

Third line is fine. I'd think the team's current success is an indicator that they're doing something right with their current mix, but I guess some people gotta change something for the sheer sake of change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad