The best option among Russian goalkeepers for the next 7 years

If you could guarantee that one of this goalie will be on your team for the next 7 years, who would

• Total voters

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I can't believe people are taking Askarov considering it's for the next 7 years. I get he's the best goalie prospect in a long time, but even the most highly touted goalies nowadays aren't earning a starting job into their early/mid 20s. Vasilevskiy didn't get the starting job til he was 22. In 7 years Askarov will be 24. Not to mention it's much more difficult to project goalies.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Vasilevsky over Bobrovsky purely because of age.

Samsonov has played well though. Young and talented as advertised. Two years from now we could all be saying it's him.

Reactions: TheFountainhead

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Despite his current struggles, Vasy has already shown what he can do in the league, and still has untapped potential. Hard to say it's not him.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Homer Ilya Konovalov vote. The thought of a Russian goalie panning out for us is borderline orgasmic. Developing a big ol' Russian sniper would put me over the edge.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Is Georgiev even Russian?
He is 50% Russian (50% Bulgarian) who plays for team Russia. Unlike, for example, Barkov who is 100% Russian, but plays for team Finland. Anyway, you can safely call both of them Russian.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was going to pick Vasilevskiy, and then I read contracts matter.

I was going to pick Askarov, and then I read that's its only for the next seven years.

I'll take Shestyorkin. He's 23 years old right now. The next seven years are his prime.

My list in order would be

Shestyorkin
Samsonov
Sorokin
Vasilevskiy
Askarov
Bobrovskiy
Georgiyev
Varlamov

Reactions: deejb and Dominance

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Contracts are included. I don’t know enough about the other 5 to make a decision between them but I’m confident that I would definitely not choose Bobrovsky or Vasilevskiy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For similar reasons that they aren't all starters currently...

I mean, you don't actually think 9/31 starting goalies are going to be Russian, right? Let alone the same 9 for 7 consecutive seasons.

You still didn’t explain what I had asked. Why would only one be a starter? To begin with, Vasilevskiy and Bobrovsky are starters right now on big contracts that they’ll still be paid in seven years. I’m not sure why they wouldn’t be starters in seven years.

And even past those two, you’d be assuming none of the others pan out. Aside from Hart and Knight, Askarov, Shestyorkin, Sorokin and Samsonov are the four best young goalies in the world. Russia has four of the best six, so it seems pretty likely that if a few of the young goalies pan out around the league, it’ll be a few of those players. Being a starter for seven consecutive seasons isn’t that big of an ask. I counted 12 goalies in the league right now who’ve been starters for the last seven seasons.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
You still didn’t explain what I had asked. Why would only one be a starter? To begin with, Vasilevskiy and Bobrovsky are starters right now on big contracts that they’ll still be paid in seven years. I’m not sure why they wouldn’t be starters in seven years.

And even past those two, you’d be assuming none of the others pan out. Aside from Hart and Knight, Askarov, Shestyorkin, Sorokin and Samsonov are the four best young goalies in the world. Russia has four of the best six, so it seems pretty likely that if a few of the young goalies pan out around the league, it’ll be a few of those players. Being a starter for seven consecutive seasons isn’t that big of an ask. I counted 12 goalies in the league right now who’ve been starters for the last seven seasons.

I didn't say only one would be a starter, you said that.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Here is the post I quoted. You said only one can reasonably be expected to be a starter. What am I missing?

Three of these goalies are in their 30's, two are backups, one is in the AHL, one is in the KHL, one is in the VHL and the last is the 25 year old reigning Vezina winner. Only the last goalie can reasonably be expected to be an NHL starter for the next 7 years. Everyone else would be fortunate to be one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad