The Benefit of Hindsight

NHLeitner

Jan 2, 2013
Carolina
So this article came up under the "related stories" section of a post I was reading today.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/trad...s-to-take-crazy-pills-trades-cory-conacher-to

The level of wrongness in that analysis is staggering. That said, I wasn't super thrilled about the trade initially, as were more than a few other people on this forum. I also wasn't a fan of Victor Hedman until around the lockout-shortened season, but I've come completely 180 on him now.

So I was curious what other people thought - with the benefit of hindsight - about certain opinions they used to hold as it relates to the Lightning. Whether it be specific players, trades, organizational decisions, or even the decision to put a team in Tampa Bay.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Looking in hindsight - I've been onboard with the Conacher trade since the get go. I thought Conacher made an already non-physical, pansy of a squad even worse. He produced points but boy did I thought he was playing over his head.

On the decision to trade Conacher - I saw him constantly beat up in front of the net. Abused after the whistle and would cringe every time his feisty nature would lead him into the more "dangerous" areas of the ice. I liked his heart...but the way he played made me cringe when watching him. Similar players to his size like St. Louis played smart...I thought this tiny little barrel of energy would get seriously hurt. Especially since at the time we had nobody to defend him on the ice. He was on the island alone and I hated to see the way he was abused nightly. Was glad we traded him when we did...got this one right. I didn't criticize Yzerman one bit...we just had one too many undersized forwards and he was the right one to let go.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Heh - nice article. Is that the Jets sbnation thing? Because considering their goaltending situation, it gives me a giggle-chubby.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
This was epic. Hindsight is always 20/20. I remember saying at the day of the draft that Kucherov was the most talented player we drafted in that draft. So far so right on that. Conacher I saw his play trail off after teams learned how to defend him and he couldn't leech off of Stamkos and St.Louis any more. I considered Tyler Johnson to be the better Midget. A future top 9 Center.

I was however completely wrong on Mitch Fadden, who I thought had the potential to be a top 6 player for us. Completely swung and missed on that. Also I was initially really high on Nesterov, but more and more I'm starting to think I was wrong on that.

I remember Matt Smaby, and was pretty high on him as well, thought he could be a Bottom four stay at home D-man that could protect in front of the net for us. Unfortunately while his foot was being healed from being broken, he was also effectively neutered.

I considered Ramo a future number 1 goaltender. With his second stint in the NHL, seems to be finally making a run for it. So far I would say I'm doing 50/50.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
BTW... that 2011 draft.

Namestnikov, Kucherov, Wilcox, Peca, and Palat. Only "whiff" was Nesterov, and he can still develop. Damn good draft for us.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This was epic. Hindsight is always 20/20. I remember saying at the day of the draft that Kucherov was the most talented player we drafted in that draft. So far so right on that. Conacher I saw his play trail off after teams learned how to defend him and he couldn't leech off of Stamkos and St.Louis any more. I considered Tyler Johnson to be the better Midget. A future top 9 Center.

I was however completely wrong on Mitch Fadden, who I thought had the potential to be a top 6 player for us. Completely swung and missed on that. Also I was initially really high on Nesterov, but more and more I'm starting to think I was wrong on that.

I remember Matt Smaby, and was pretty high on him as well, thought he could be a Bottom four stay at home D-man that could protect in front of the net for us. Unfortunately while his foot was being healed from being broken, he was also effectively neutered.

I considered Ramo a future number 1 goaltender. With his second stint in the NHL, seems to be finally making a run for it. So far I would say I'm doing 50/50.

Fadden and maybe Smaby can be forgiven as having injury issues limit their career. I don't think those count (although Fadden wasn't exactly on track to live up to top-six anyway)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hindsight tells me last game says the Mike Smith we all know, love and remember is back in full force. I love how people acted like we were crazy for getting rid of him. Love the guy but not as my goaltender.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

the youtube sensation speaks. You did well on goalies a breakdown but you got one really off. You had swore boy from panthers was better than vasi and always gonna be better and now might be total bust? Yet you did talk on lindback and bishop and the rest of stuff before any of it happened lol and you were dead on. You were also the person who told me look at kucherov is not just the sniping he is totally an awesome playmaker he is super under appreciated for that side of his games and skills. Soo good call there for sure cause I was always more on the sniping side with him the speed etc... really we are just starting to see some of his playmaking ability he has really good vision beyond what I had assumed at one point for sure.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
the youtube sensation speaks. You did well on goalies a breakdown but you got one really off. You had swore boy from panthers was better than vasi and always gonna be better and now might be total bust? Yet you did talk on lindback and bishop and the rest of stuff before any of it happened lol and you were dead on. You were also the person who told me look at kucherov is not just the sniping he is totally an awesome playmaker he is super under appreciated for that side of his games and skills. Soo good call there for sure cause I was always more on the sniping side with him the speed etc... really we are just starting to see some of his playmaking ability he has really good vision beyond what I had assumed at one point for sure.

To be fair while I was really high on Markstrom, I never said I thought he was going to be better than Vasi. ;) Goalies are a fickle bunch though. He still has time to turn it around, just not holding my breath lol.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So this article came up under the "related stories" section of a post I was reading today.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/trad...s-to-take-crazy-pills-trades-cory-conacher-to

The level of wrongness in that analysis is staggering. That said, I wasn't super thrilled about the trade initially, as were more than a few other people on this forum. I also wasn't a fan of Victor Hedman until around the lockout-shortened season, but I've come completely 180 on him now.

So I was curious what other people thought - with the benefit of hindsight - about certain opinions they used to hold as it relates to the Lightning. Whether it be specific players, trades, organizational decisions, or even the decision to put a team in Tampa Bay.

haha, I'm the one that posted that; I came across it while reading about Joe Maddon leaving the Rays and how the sky is falling.

I've had plenty of bad predictions. I thought Dan Boyle was a scrub and that Afanasenkov was a 30 goal sniper. I thought John Grahame was going to have a smooth transition into Khabibulins spot and that Alexeev was going to be our Russian Keith Tkachuk.

More recently, I hated the Conacher deal, partially because Bishop could have been had for a second rounder and Y decided to pay a huge ransom for Lindback instead. I also hated the Aulie-Ashton deal.

I wanted to trade for a top pairing D instead of signing Stralman, I didn't like tossing so much money at Callahan, and I disdained the DeAngelo pick. Obviously the jury is still out on these decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad