Speculation: The Bench Boss of Tomorrow

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
When Teddy was brought in by Pat LaFontaine, there was no attempt to cover up the fact that Ted was being brought in as a place holder with no guarantee that he would survive the hiring of the next GM. Fast forward a few and a new GM is hired in the form of Tim Murray. Timmy re-ups Nolan, finishes the tear down, and heads for McEichel. Despite the contract extension, there's always been a whisper around Murray that Luke Richardson is Timmy's guy in the background waiting to take over the reins at some point in the near future. With the poaching of the Walrus in Ottawa, their head coaching position opens up and on the short list of replacement candidates is the loyal head coach of Ottawa's farm club, Luke Richardson.

This leads into a 2 part question. If Ottawa decides to try and tap Luke Richardson to be the new head coach of the Ottawa Senators and Timmy wants Richardson to take over in Buffalo, would you 1) want Luke Richardson in Buffalo, and 2) would you fire Ted Nolan 27 games into the season to prevent losing 'your guy' (ie. any coach, not just Richardson) to another team?

Personally, I don't know enough about Richardson to feel strongly 1 way or the other. However I do feel strongly that if there's someone you want, you don't quibble over collateral damage, you get who you want regardless of the cost.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I have no doubt that GMTM would sack Nolan this early in, if he had to get his guy. Will he though? I don't think so, because Nolan will not have this team above bottom 5 for his tenure.

I don't know about Richardson, but, I do remember vividly when GMTM was brought on board, during one Q&A, someone asked him whether he had a group of 'his guys' that he might bring in, and GMTM saying he did. Whether or not that means Richardson, I don't know, but I feel very strongly that Murray has certain people that he would slip right in when the time is right.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Yeah, I concur. I don't think Murray is going to go out and fire Nolan just so he can get Richardson right now.

Could TM do it after the season? I could see it happening.

In season? Unless TM is absolutely, 100%, has-a-crystal-ball-sold on Richardson being the guy to navigate us through the "Build up" portion of the rebuild, I can't see him canning Nolan.

Myers, Risto, Zadorov and Girgensons have performed very well. Mitchell's going to get us something nice at the deadline or get re-upped. Nolan hasn't done anything that could get him fired, really.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It's no secret that I dislike Nolan but what's the point of dropping him this season even for Murray's guy when he has the team playing with compete most nights. You can't say the last 10 games haven't been more entertaining then the debacle that was Rolston last year. Even with the horrible loss to Tampa, they made the 3rd period interesting; not sure that was Nolan's doing but he's the guy that's needed now to motivate the kids.

The X's and O's coach can come next year and if Richardson wanted to come to Buffalo because Tim promised him after this year when the Sabres are suppose to be coming out of the tank he won't accept a contract with the Senators knowing this.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
This leads into a 2 part question. If Ottawa decides to try and tap Luke Richardson to be the new head coach of the Ottawa Senators and Timmy wants Richardson to take over in Buffalo, would you 1) want Luke Richardson in Buffalo, and 2) would you fire Ted Nolan 27 games into the season to prevent losing 'your guy' (ie. any coach, not just Richardson) to another team?

Personally, I don't know enough about Richardson to feel strongly 1 way or the other. However I do feel strongly that if there's someone you want, you don't quibble over collateral damage, you get who you want regardless of the cost.
I don't think Ottawa's changes will have any impact on what Tim Murray does with Ted Nolan in the short-term.

As others have pointed out, Dave Cameron is the permanent hire in Ottawa, while Luke Richardson was only a consideration. Further, it was reported that Richardson wants to remain near his daughter -- a junior defenseman at Cornell -- and having lost his other daughter to teen suicide, I'd take his words at face value. Maybe Richardson revisits his stance in the offseason, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make his next move until his daughter graduates.

Sabres83

Feb 27, 2014
Said this before, but why would Murray get rid of Nolan? The team has performed very well, and there are no reason to make a change. In the next couple of years, if the team doesn't perform well, when we want it to, then it might be time to make a move.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Also impressed with Nolan at the moment. The fact that the team is even somewhat watchable this year is a hell of an accomplishment, so I'm not sure why people want to can him already.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Even with the recent hot streak, I think Nolan's a placeholder. That said, I think he'd probably be here through next season. Richardson is a possibility, and with his daughter in Ithaca for another 18 months, there may be a perfect confluence of a job opening and Richardson leaving Central New York.

Other possibilities:

Jeff Blashill - Many (including Blashill, himself) thought he was the coach in waiting in Detroit. If Babcock re-signs, I imagine he'll start looking at his exit strategy.

Dan Bylsma - I can't shake the feeling that Pegula may want his GM to throw big $$ at a name coach with a track record like Bylsma. But who knows if he's still on the market by the time Nolan is gone.

Those are my three guesses at the top candidates should Nolan be sent on his way.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Even with the recent hot streak, I think Nolan's a placeholder. That said, I think he'd probably be here through next season. Richardson is a possibility, and with his daughter in Ithaca for another 18 months, there may be a perfect confluence of a job opening and Richardson leaving Central New York.

Other possibilities:

Jeff Blashill - Many (including Blashill, himself) thought he was the coach in waiting in Detroit. If Babcock re-signs, I imagine he'll start looking at his exit strategy.

Dan Bylsma - I can't shake the feeling that Pegula may want his GM to throw big $$ at a name coach with a track record like Bylsma. But who knows if he's still on the market by the time Nolan is gone.

Those are my three guesses at the top candidates should Nolan be sent on his way.

It's Nolan's job, until the performance doesn't match the talent level... when this thing is "built", if they are still -20 corsi every night, bottom of the league in scoring... that's when he'll be gone.

Until then, he gets guys to play 100%... it's the hardest part of the job. It's why Lindy Ruff was an awful Head Coach... it's not hard to ride talent, but it is hard to mold it.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If we end up with either Eichel or McDavid and Babcock is on the market, I get Pegula in full force recruitment mode. He wants to win, wants to win alot, for a long time?

Pegula would easily throw stupid money at him. He'd have an opportunity to mold the bar none best group of prospects in the NHL. And they'd all learn his way from the start. He could dictate the system that is taught and who teaches it, from Elmira all thew way up to Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad