UBS Arena: Lower the Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I believe it’s Sloan Kettering. They used to have their Nassau location at Mercy Medical center. I think they are now occupying the space in the coliseum parking lot.
Yes, you are right. Sloan Kettering. The building is in the southeast corner of the lot.

Reactions: eoin92

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
100%. I cannot remember a construction project moving this fast. Further proves to me that in addition to hiring good hockey people, Malkin knows how to hire good construction people.
Oh yeah, for sure. Not only that, but the construction company has a ton of incentive to do a good job, since a good job done here could lead to many more jobs with Malkin in the future

Reactions: scott99

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
The following story is almost 10 days old, but still important for Belmont Park Arena

New Elmont Station Taking Shape: MTA C&D Begins Work on Platform Substructure - A Modern LI

By MTA Construction & Development September 4, 2020

MTA Construction & Development has begun work on the substructure for the new Elmont station, the first new full-time LIRR Station to be built in more than four decades.
A laydown area has been established on the north side of the right-of-way on Superior Road, excavation for platform footings, construction of forms for platform supports and pouring of concrete for several of those supports has taken place...

The Elmont station will serve the Belmont Park Redevelopment Project, including Belmont Park racetrack and the New York Islanders hockey team’s new arena as well as surrounding neighborhoods. The new station will be ADA-compliant and include amenities such as free WiFi, digital screens, elevators, canopies, charging stations and more. The south platform is scheduled to open in Autumn 2021 and the full station by the end of 2022.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The following story is almost 10 days old, but still important for Belmont Park Arena

New Elmont Station Taking Shape: MTA C&D Begins Work on Platform Substructure - A Modern LI

By MTA Construction & Development September 4, 2020

MTA Construction & Development has begun work on the substructure for the new Elmont station, the first new full-time LIRR Station to be built in more than four decades.
A laydown area has been established on the north side of the right-of-way on Superior Road, excavation for platform footings, construction of forms for platform supports and pouring of concrete for several of those supports has taken place...

The Elmont station will serve the Belmont Park Redevelopment Project, including Belmont Park racetrack and the New York Islanders hockey team’s new arena as well as surrounding neighborhoods. The new station will be ADA-compliant and include amenities such as free WiFi, digital screens, elevators, canopies, charging stations and more. The south platform is scheduled to open in Autumn 2021 and the full station by the end of 2022.

Just who in the hell does Malkin have photos of? Getting the MTA to start delivering on projects? Next level...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I got a call this morning from my ticket rep. Seat selection for season ticket holders is going to begin sometime next week. An email will be going out shortly with your seat selection date and time, as well as pricing. When you choose your seats a 10% deposit will be required.

That’s all for now.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I got a call this morning from my ticket rep. Seat selection for season ticket holders is going to begin sometime next week. An email will be going out shortly with your seat selection date and time, as well as pricing. When you choose your seats a 10% deposit will be required.

That’s all for now.

Was there any discussion about what would happen if fans aren't allowed in the arena next year - Or even partial fans where you couldn't use your seats?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Or even partial fans where you couldn't use your seats?
If the part of the fan was the lower half, they could still sit in their seats. Upper half too, I guess, but someone would have to place them there.

This concept would have been very useful at the NVMC. Your upper half could have stayed in the seat watching the game while your lower half went to take a leak.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Was there any discussion about what would happen if fans aren't allowed in the arena next year - Or even partial fans where you couldn't use your seats?

Annoyingly I haven't heard anything about this. We're paying for seats next year for games that we don't even know will have fans - I'm being charged monthly without info about that. I know the league has no idea at this point either but it's also annoying when they're expecting a deposit for the year after next when we all have no idea about next year.

Reactions: periferal

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I only asked about rolling what I paid for this season into Belmont in 2021 if the 2020-21 season is played with no fans. The rep said the team will allow that.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I only asked about rolling what I paid for this season into Belmont in 2021 if the 2020-21 season is played with no fans. The rep said the team will allow that.

This is what I figured, since they've already rolled this season's games funds into next.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
If the part of the fan was the lower half, they could still sit in their seats. Upper half too, I guess, but someone would have to place them there.

This concept would have been very useful at the NVMC. Your upper half could have stayed in the seat watching the game while your lower half went to take a leak.
At Barclays you can stuff your lower half into one of the cupholders.

Reactions: doublechili

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Annoyingly I haven't heard anything about this. We're paying for seats next year for games that we don't even know will have fans - I'm being charged monthly without info about that. I know the league has no idea at this point either but it's also annoying when they're expecting a deposit for the year after next when we all have no idea about next year.

I think it'll be state and local decisions. I do not see NY allowing fans until maybe March or April and I believe all leagues will probably begin to require vaccination proof to get into buildings at some stage. I don't think that would be til 21-22. I suspect for the 2021 playoffs probably all buildings will allow fans since logically that won't be til May.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I think it'll be state and local decisions. I do not see NY allowing fans until maybe March or April and I believe all leagues will probably begin to require vaccination proof to get into buildings at some stage. I don't think that would be til 21-22. I suspect for the 2021 playoffs probably all buildings will allow fans since logically that won't be til May.

Yeah, I think we might be looking at April 2021, at the earliest. That's assuming there's a few months of widely distributed vaccine(s).

Reactions: periferal

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Construction continues on Belmont arena, one year after groundbreaking

Posted September 16, 2020

By Melissa Koenig

Hundreds of Long Islanders watched as New York Islanders players and elected officials plunged their shovels into a pile of dirt last September to mark the beginning of construction on the state’s nearly $2 billion Belmont Park redevelopment project. Now, a year later, that dirt patch is gone, and has been replaced with a large steel structure that forms the outline of the Islanders’ new home.

The facility will house a 17,000-seat arena for the hockey franchise. It will also feature the team’s four Stanley Cups on podiums that play game highlights when you press a button, and other Islanders memorabilia.

A new ice plant was delivered to the site on Aug. 17, with steel piping for the ice instead of the plastic piping at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn...

The redevelopment project is expected to generate some $25 billion in economic activity with the Islanders’ lease of the land. Developers also hope to fill 30 percent of the arena’s permanent jobs with workers who live in the area, and are investing $100 million in transit and infrastructure enhancements, including the first new Long Island Rail Road station in almost 50 years.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority started work on the new station on July 14,.. . Crews have also begun digging holes for the platform footings, MTA officials said, and are building the platform supports. Concrete has already been poured in some of those supports.

In the meantime, a group of Elmont civic leaders is continuing to appeal a State Supreme Court justice’s decision to allow construction on the project to continue. They filed a document in the New York State Supreme Court system in June stating their intention to appeal, just 27 days after Justice Roy Mahon dismissed their case. They are now awaiting a conference date...'

Reactions: beach

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
In the meantime, a group of Elmont civic leaders is continuing to appeal a State Supreme Court justice’s decision to allow construction on the project to continue. They filed a document in the New York State Supreme Court system in June stating their intention to appeal, just 27 days after Justice Roy Mahon dismissed their case. They are now awaiting a conference date...'
So there's still a chance for a farming incubator!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad