Post-Game Talk: The Battle to Banish the Rongos to the Shadow Realm: Caps @ Rangers 7:07PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Rongos are in a terrible terrible rut. It's our job to make sure it continues.

Win.

No morning skate so I assume that means lines are unchanged.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
no morning skate because there is a basketball game there first today, prepare for horrible ice

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't know what's the record for most high-danger chances allowed in a game this season, but the Rangers allowed total 20 in their last game against the Winnipeg Jets. I guess that explains why Lundqvist got the 3rd star with ~88 SV%.

Their team defence seems to have gone from bad to terrible. MSG is a tough place to visit, but unless they are sleepwalking, we should get the 2 points. Holtby needs to be better than last time though.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps roll has been pretty long at this point. Rangers bad streak has been long. They have to be desperate. This has L written all over it.

Caps might win the cup this season but they are not going to win 9 out of every 10 from here out.

It might be that the Bolts game was the klunker they should have lost. Might be that its the start of a streak of games where they struggle.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
It might be that the Bolts game was the klunker they should have lost. Might be that its the start of a streak of games where they struggle.

They've had a few klunkers over the past month, but they've won most of them. :)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I hope we don't face this bad team in the playoffs though

Me too, but let's face it. There are 98% chance that we meet in the 2nd round. 1% is if Holtby or Henrik misses the 1st round and either team loses. 1% is if Rangers forget how to play hockey with a stretch similar to their current one, and somehow lose to the Islanders.

Seven Years

Mar 17, 2011
Fully expecting the Capitals to destroy the Rangers. Rangers have been playing abhorrent hockey all season long. 6-1 Capitals.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fully expecting the Capitals to destroy the Rangers. Rangers have been playing abhorrent hockey all season long. 6-1 Capitals.

I would not conclude that at all. I'd be pleased to see it, but this is something of a last stand game for them. they NEED to beat the Caps and I expect at least effort wise they are going to play like it.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
You throw the records out on this because these two teams know each other so well. Hopefully they're playing as bad as people have been suggesting but I expect I tight contest likely with the officiating slightly favoring the rags and it depends on Holtbeast to get them this one.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Me too, but let's face it. There are 98% chance that we meet in the 2nd round. 1% is if Holtby or Henrik misses the 1st round and either team loses. 1% is if Rangers forget how to play hockey with a stretch similar to their current one, and somehow lose to the Islanders.

The Isles if they keep Hamonic are absolutely capable of beating the Rags even with Hank in net. Do you see Pittsburgh making the playoffs at this point? I sure don't, and I'm loving every minute of their collapse.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The Isles if they keep Hamonic are absolutely capable of beating the Rags even with Hank in net. Do you see Pittsburgh making the playoffs at this point? I sure don't, and I'm loving every minute of their collapse.

Meh, i just don't see it. Rangers have (way) better coach, better defense (i don't think they all forgot how to play hockey, just a bad stretch), and way better goaltending. Obviously i'd be thrilled if the Islanders managed to knock the Rangers out. I just don't see that happening because Rangers are the better team.

Penguins might make the playoffs if they can turn it around, the bubble teams in the East are nothing special. I don't see their playoff run lasting over 5 games though.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Early goal for us and a few nice stops by Holtby would ge ideal. Rongos fold after that, imo.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Meh, i just don't see it. Rangers have (way) better coach, better defense (i don't think they all forgot how to play hockey, just a bad stretch), and way better goaltending. Obviously i'd be thrilled if the Islanders managed to knock the Rangers out. I just don't see that happening because Rangers are the better team.

Penguins might make the playoffs if they can turn it around, the bubble teams in the East are nothing special. I don't see their playoff run lasting over 5 games though.
The defensive questions with the Rangers are legit. Their defensemen aren't that phenomenal and they're not really helped by their forwards or overall system either it seems. The physicality of the Islanders and a pretty decent defense could make for an interesting series. I don't think there's all that much separating the two teams. Then again, I'm not sure the Caps are significantly better either. The Caps have a very high floor and that keeps them up with the best in the regular season but how high is their ceiling?

Securing the top spot would be a nice boon for the Caps and tonight is as good a time as any to make a statement that they belong there. I don't really expect dominance but they should at least be pretty confident coming off of last game's comeback.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Caps suck, they can't even stay in first place in the president trophy race.
Doom, gloom, epic lose, season over.

:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad