News Article: The Bad News Within theJackets Strong Start

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
https://thehockeywriters.com/columbus-blue-jackets-strong-start-2017/

This article sums up nicely the bad about the Jackets start. I tend to agree in that I don't think they have been all that impressive in winning the 5 games, with the exception of the Isles game. Particularly troubling is the (non-existent) power play and a below average PK. Faceoffs are another blot on the resume.

Tonight will be a true test. Maybe it is the skepticism that has built up over the team's history but if Bob doesn't play lights out it could be ugly.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

This article sums up nicely the bad about the Jackets start. I tend to agree in that I don't think they have been all that impressive in winning the 5 games, with the exception of the Isles game. Particularly troubling is the (non-existent) power play and a below average PK. Faceoffs are another blot on the resume.

Tonight will be a true test. Maybe it is the skepticism that has built up over the team's history but if Bob doesn't play lights out it could be ugly.

That's good news if you ask me. All of that will even out over the season. The fact we can win even when we aren't playing great is a good sign.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio

Disagree Epsen. CBJ played very well against the Peg on Tuesday, maybe better overall than the lights out Isles game. The Rangers game was a B+. The Carolina game was played on a "sheet of s>>>." That leaves the Minnesota game as the odd win - yes it was ugly, but they found a way. Chicago loss - Korpi was bad and the rest didn't bring their A game. It happens.

CBJ have given up 2 or less goals in 4 of the 6 games played. That will win 90+% of the time. Agree that the PK % can be an important stat over the long haul, but the PK % so far is 78.57, barely off the league-wide average of 81.02%. It is 3 goals allowed in 14 PK attempts, hardly enough to be statistically meaningful, especially when two were allowed on poor plays against Minnesota. "Obviously, it’s early in the season so one or two games can skew percentages." quoted from the very article - and one sentence later - "that's bad." Good grief. One game doesn't skew the percentage at this early stage, one GOAL does - one less PK goal allowed and the PK% goes to 85.7%

The PP is struggling. However, as J16 points out, this stat generally evens out over the season. Further, at 1 for 16 on the PP - 2 additional goals would have put the Jackets at 18.75%, virtually identical to the league average. There just isn't enough to analyze or nitpick. If the article was a response to a "CBJ going to win SC" statement based on these first 6 games, then I get it. No one has said that.

Yes, I would love to see the FO% better; it is not going to be a strength, but it needs to get better. Not one of the C's is at 50% or better. It will not cost them the season, but it could be a factor in a key playoff game. Let's see how they do on the dot as Dubi's wrist gets stronger, as Foligno gets some more draws (he was really good early games, not so much the past few), and as Wennberg realizes that the only thing keeping him from elite is on the dot and pucks in the net.

Nothing is either as good or as bad as it seems after 6 games. I like the trend - the Peg game was solid and the kids are starting to bring it, even if not scoring goals. The article kvetches about Bjorkstrand at 3 assists and a +4 after 6 games - really? Panarin has 1 goal....(and I am not being critical of Panarin - this is a defense-first team, goal scorers will be streaky). Talk to me after 15-20 games. If by the writer's own admission it's really early, what the h... is the point of the article, other than for that freakin' site to side-hand a small market US team?

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So the team isn't perfect. Yeah, um, we knew that. We're all Jackets fans here; we all spend all our time when we should be cheering waiting for the other shoe to drop. This hardly needs reinforcement. ;)

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
So the team isn't perfect. Yeah, um, we knew that. We're all Jackets fans here; we all spend all our time when we should be cheering waiting for the other shoe to drop. This hardly needs reinforcement. ;)
Why do you have to say the same things I do in a much more concise manner? I have to kvetch for 4 paragraphs when I should have waited for your post and then just hit that new "Like" button.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Why do you have to say the same things I do in a much more concise manner? I have to kvetch for 4 paragraphs when I should have waited for your post and then just hit that new "Like" button.
Some people still need it spelled out for them now and again, so you're good. :)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Waaaaaaaaay to early in the season to worry about anything or anyone really. Nobody has truly looked out of place so far. At least wait until the holidays until you really start having to worry about things.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm going to amend an earlier prediction I made in another thread. (And I rarely make predictions, so you all should probably take notice. Or not.)

Not only do I believe that at some point this season the Jackets will defeat a good team, but I also predict that there will be some reason people will find to pooh-pooh said victory. This may even happen on multiple occasions.

Reactions: Viqsi

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
This team will go as far as Bob (and the defense) will take them. In 3 of 7 regular season games we've scored 0 or 1 goals in regulation. Maybe it's the PP, maybe it's slow starts but it's an issue. We did win one of those (2-1 in OT) but those are generally losses..
Good news is in 4 of 7 games we've held the opposition to 2 or less goals in regulation. Those are good numbers and lost the Tampa game in that case.
Only played one game where it was truly a shoot-out (the 5-4 OT winner) with both teams scoring more than 2 goals.
We don't have very many (Pannarin is exception) playmakers. Lot of guys who can score goals (and who will) but we'll go as far as Bob takes us.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Disagree Epsen. CBJ played very well against the Peg on Tuesday, maybe better overall than the lights out Isles game. The Rangers game was a B+. The Carolina game was played on a "sheet of s>>>." That leaves the Minnesota game as the odd win - yes it was ugly, but they found a way. Chicago loss - Korpi was bad and the rest didn't bring their A game. It happens.

CBJ have given up 2 or less goals in 4 of the 6 games played. That will win 90+% of the time. Agree that the PK % can be an important stat over the long haul, but the PK % so far is 78.57, barely off the league-wide average of 81.02%. It is 3 goals allowed in 14 PK attempts, hardly enough to be statistically meaningful, especially when two were allowed on poor plays against Minnesota. "Obviously, it’s early in the season so one or two games can skew percentages." quoted from the very article - and one sentence later - "that's bad." Good grief. One game doesn't skew the percentage at this early stage, one GOAL does - one less PK goal allowed and the PK% goes to 85.7%

The PP is struggling. However, as J16 points out, this stat generally evens out over the season. Further, at 1 for 16 on the PP - 2 additional goals would have put the Jackets at 18.75%, virtually identical to the league average. There just isn't enough to analyze or nitpick. If the article was a response to a "CBJ going to win SC" statement based on these first 6 games, then I get it. No one has said that.

Yes, I would love to see the FO% better; it is not going to be a strength, but it needs to get better. Not one of the C's is at 50% or better. It will not cost them the season, but it could be a factor in a key playoff game. Let's see how they do on the dot as Dubi's wrist gets stronger, as Foligno gets some more draws (he was really good early games, not so much the past few), and as Wennberg realizes that the only thing keeping him from elite is on the dot and pucks in the net.

Nothing is either as good or as bad as it seems after 6 games. I like the trend - the Peg game was solid and the kids are starting to bring it, even if not scoring goals. The article kvetches about Bjorkstrand at 3 assists and a +4 after 6 games - really? Panarin has 1 goal....(and I am not being critical of Panarin - this is a defense-first team, goal scorers will be streaky). Talk to me after 15-20 games. If by the writer's own admission it's really early, what the h... is the point of the article, other than for that freakin' site to side-hand a small market US team?

The really great thing about this is the Jackets have lots of room for improvement. If they peaked this early, I suspect they would limp gasping into the post-season.

Besides that as a fan nothing is more fun than watching continuous improvement. Let's hope they can do that.

I'm going to amend an earlier prediction I made in another thread. (And I rarely make predictions, so you all should probably take notice. Or not.)

Not only do I believe that at some point this season the Jackets will defeat a good team, but I also predict that there will be some reason people will find to pooh-pooh said victory. This may even happen on multiple occasions.

You really went out on a limb there. As long as you are feeling wild and crazy, do you think they will have off nights when they play a poor game that they may lose or win? And to really push the envelope, do you think they could lose to another good team this season?

Waiting with baited breath,

signed,

Sleepless in Worthington

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
On the plus side a number one center fixes pretty much all of these problems. :laugh::naughty:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You really went out on a limb there. As long as you are feeling wild and crazy, do you think they will have off nights when they play a poor game that they may lose or win? And to really push the envelope, do you think they could lose to another good team this season?

Waiting with baited breath,

signed,

Sleepless in Worthington

That limb's gonna break if I scoot too far out. But as you're so desperately sleepless...

I'll say those things will happen. And for good measure, I'll say they'll lose at some point to a team below them in the standings in a way that will have people apoplectic. (For like a day.)

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
To be honest I have only seen the last two games and as good as they looked against Peg, Tampa left me perplexed. I think we have better talent than what we are showing with the PP. After seeing how much improvement we have made the last few seasons, I will bite my tongue on that and hope they work it our in practice. Lets GO Jackets!!

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I tend to agree with those who think many things will even out over time. Panarin will scores goals, several centers will improve their FO percentage and the PK numbers will improve.

On the other hand, I have more lingering questions about the PP. On face we have our "best five" on the first unit. However I'm unsure if it's the most effective five.

Cam seems miscast in the middle of the 1-3-1. He's a slot guy like Panarin. While certainly a skilled passer, Wennberg is unwilling shoot and his excessively deliberate decision making adds to the already slow puck movement.

Whether this is all scheme, personnel or execution has to be determined, but I don't see anything currently to make me believe it's headed toward improving...... (I wonder if rotating out one forward and having both Seth and Zach on the first unit might not prove more effective).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I tend to agree with those who think many things will even out over time. Panarin will scores goals, several centers will improve their FO percentage and the PK numbers will improve.

On the other hand, I have more lingering questions about the PP. On face we have our "best five" on the first unit. However I'm unsure if it's the most effective five.

Cam seems miscast in the middle of the 1-3-1. He's a slot guy like Panarin. While certainly a skilled passer, Wennberg is unwilling shoot and his excessively deliberate decision making adds to the already slow puck movement.

Whether this is all scheme, personnel or execution has to be determined, but I don't see anything currently to make me believe it's headed toward improving...... (I wonder if rotating out one forward and having both Seth and Zach on the first unit might not prove more effective).
Yeah, I'm honestly thinking moving Milano onto the first unit for the time being while Wennberg trains himself to shoot a little more instinctively might be worth trying.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I tend to agree that our record is better than what we have shown. We’ve beaten poor teams and gotten rocked by the good ones. Lots of disappearing acts so far which is concerning. Even Torts said the TB video wasn’t flattering. But I’m confident we’ll get our act together.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
After 11 games here are a few random facts & thoughts:

Panarin on pace for 70+pts!...7 goals and 63 assists

Power play dead last in the league...and Jackets don't get a lot of chances

Penalty kill ranked 4th...and Jackets seem to get enough practice at this

Averaging 3 goals a game...that is with Milano on pace for 35+ and Dubi on pace for 0

Bob is Vezina worthy...Korpi not so much

Haven't beat a really good team yet. 0-4

Offensively the team looks terrible to me...no rhythm

In spurts they have looked pretty good but for the most part not so much. Only game they played from start well from start to finish was opening night.

CJWennberg is probably closer to being right than most will acknowledge

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I agree with some of EspenK's points but will add some additional takes, most based more on my opinions rather than facts.

I don't like the 0-4 record against top teams, but it's interesting to me Korpi played in two of those. (I see no Vezinas in his foreseeable future. :sarcasm:). Might that have made any difference inhow the guys in front of him played?

I, as do most of us, agree the PP is horrific! Is it scheme? Lineup?Execution? There's a lot of red lights not being lit....terribly costly.

Wennberg is playing timid and I'm left to ask if the buildup on him centering Panarin has overwhelmed him. While he's always been a reluctant shooter, he's now playing much less instinctively with the puck and his defense is not what it's been.

I don't often criticize Torts. His actions may sometimes puzzle me, but I have confidence in him. However, I don't like his handling of Milano (or Dubois) over the last games. Yes, Milano makes mistakes; he's going to as part of the growing process. But he's not going to improve gathering splinters on the bench. He needs to get enough ice time to at least justify the need for a shower after the game. Same for Dubois. One hopes they are mentally tough and maintain their confidence.

The Athletic cited Sedlak's absence as a contributor to the above situation. Torts lacks confidence in Dalpe. So do I. His "highlight" was stepping in to support a teammate, yet he couldn't even do that competently enough to draw an offsetting penalty. There's got to be a better stiff to call up.

Overall, the center position is a mess. The Captain is holding up his end, but the otherwise it's incredibly lacking. Yes, Dubi has been ok the last two games, but "two good games does not a hero make."

I'm not sure how much Duchene would have helped this team. Add him to our current Center group and he and Foligno would be an improved one-two punch. BUT, had he been added Foligno wouldn't be playimg Center, leaving only a (possibly) slightly improved combo of Duchene/Dubi/Wennberg/Sedlak. (We would benefit from Nick on wing).

Several have properly cited the lack of a compatible play-mate for Panarin. I think that true and while he's not a top line guy, Bjork's skill set strikes me as a style mesh though may well not yet deserve the minutes for that pairing. Regardless I still believe the Breadman will light it up at some point as long as he stays mentally engaged.

The defense has had a few wobbles but has been the strength in front of Bob, easily our best player. A not surprising plus has been the offense our D has provided. The Jones/Z pairing is the best we've had. As I think back - others may have a better idea - but our previous best D pair, but only for a single year, was Hejda and Commie. And it strike me the chemistry between Savard/Johnson are a better shut-down than that 2009 duo.

To me, here's the bottom line.....In the near term, this team shares a common denominator with prior years in that it's fate will ride on the play of Bob.

Oh....and we can win a lot of games playing that way as long as Bob is Vezina Bob.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The Athletic cited Sedlak's absence as a contributor to the above situation. Torts lacks confidence in Dalpe. So do I. His "highlight" was stepping in to support a teammate, yet he couldn't even do that competently enough to draw an offsetting penalty. There's got to be a better stiff to call up.

Nice work on the whole post, Moe, but it was funny I jumped from reading this to seeing this linked on social...

https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/news/tyler-motte-recall-october-30/c-292423644

The Columbus Blue Jackets have recalled forward Tyler Motte from the Cleveland Monsters, Columbus' American Hockey League affiliate, club General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen announced today.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Do some of you guys REALLY not remember when the team actually was bad or simply not good at all?

I actually feel bad for the people who can't enjoy the way this current roster/team is put together. Literally. While some valuable players also have been moved, the true "dead weight" that was on the team before has been nearly purged 100% within the last couple/few years. Its like people want to change things just for sake of changing things without acknowledging that "change" doesn't always work out positively. Quite frankly many of the medium and big moves we've made recently (last 2-3 yrs) have worked out (very) well and have somewhat "spoiled" or "tricked" us (you) as fans thinking that it always works or worked out like this. The funny or ironic thing about this is that many of these "current" moves have been made because of "moves" that DID NOT end up working out.

I remember the days not long ago when our best options in net (IMO) were f***in Freddy Norrena And Mathieu Garon. I remember Arniel. I remember peoples ideas of a Anisimov-Dubinsky return for Nash. I remember when, unlike Dubinsky and Foligno, we had true "albatross" contracts/cap hits (yes i'm talking Umberger/Wiz) that significantly affected the ability to ice a legitimately dangerous roster. I remember our signing of the "prized winger of free agency" to a huge contract, only for this guy to soon after "not be able to skate again". I remember when people wanted NOTHING to do with resigning Atkinson, Savard or Johnson. I remember our "#1C" and "future max contract face of the franchise" get sent home on a road trip for being.....tired.

Then I remember nearly breaking an ALL TIME "wins in a row" record and finishing top-5 in the league while playing in the statistically strongest division in the league. Then I remember Brandon "best backhand in the league!!" Saad get traded for 1 of the best 10-15 offensive hockey players in the world. I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people that aren't "confident" in this team or don't think this team is good or "very" good, thought and said the same stuff before and even during last year. You were wrong then and you're wrong now. IMO of course ;)

Reactions: Monk

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also, the idea that this team will go only as far as their (starting) goalie takes them can be said for every hockey team in existence. From squirts in Omsk to the over-60 leagues in f***ing Saskatoon. And frankly I think it says more about the "confidence" we should have in Bob NOT the "team". This team CAN go as far ( THE STANLEY CUP) as Bob allows them. Many differences between good Bob, ok Bob and bad Bob.

We don't need Bob to TAKE this team anywhere. All we need him to do is ALLOW this team to win.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Here is the GOOD news with the Jackets strong start.

I don't think anyone believes that Panarin, Wennberg or Werenski are playing GOOD hockey. Zach and Panarin have been OK, Wennberg, not so much.....but they have STILL been a top 5 team in the NHL. I would have said that other than Bob, these three would have been the key to the Jackets playing well.

If you had said that those three weren't playing well, in no world would you think they would be 9-4. If the rest of the team can keep up their level and those three step it up.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad