News Article: the Avery rule

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
The 25% going to the agent is cumulative. 3% a year x 5.5 and even then it doesn't add up but I guess he is adding ancillary management fees.

There's no way on god's green earth a player only takes home 5% of his gross pay. I couldn't read that article because of it. It's such a stupid proposition it's mind numbing.

If that's the case the players are almost better off taking a job as a Frozen food manager at a local supermarket.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Was he, though? Seemed to be a popular guy and close friends with a lot of the guys on the team.

Read up on relationship he had with Dustin Brown during his time in L.A.

Making fun of teammates to the point of it leading to a possible physical altercation = not cool....

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Making fun of teammates to the point of it leading to a possible physical altercation = not cool....

You can point to a teammate that had a poor relationship with Avery, we can point to a teammate that had a good relationship with Avery.

He's a dick. That's how he made his money in the NHL. To have that persona on the ice, you kind of need to have it off the ice a little bit, too.

If you watched the show formerly known as 24/7 this season with the Blackhawks, you could see that those guys on the team really didn't like when Shaw got in their faces during practice and all that. But, when the game starts, you'd rather have him on your team than playing against you.

I don't know. I always thought Avery was an odd player that the Rangers had. You basically either liked him or hated him. I definitely liked him. I thought he brought a ton of heart to a team that needed it, and kept it going even when they brought in some guys to help Avery in that department. There was no middle ground with Avery. Probably had a similar affect on his teammates as he did his fans.

NYRangerFan*

Avery made the team better when he played, period. I don't care how he treated players as long as he was a good player for us, which he was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Was he, though? Seemed to be a popular guy and close friends with a lot of the guys on the team.

His relationship with one specific guy, or even with one locker room, doesn't really paint the full picture though, does it? I mean, by most accounts the Avery that played for the Rangers was the best Avery possible, both on and off the ice. He seemed to have matured quite a bit compared to his early days, and outside of Torts he seemed to fit in pretty well.

I watched a few games during the 2010 Olympics at his bar downtown and the place was full of Rangers, but I guess that isn't proof that he was liked by most.

I personally loved the guy. I watch the game for entertainment first and foremost, and he's about as entertaining as a hockey player can be. This article does make you appreciate the skills of professional writers though...

NYRangerFan*

Considering the team has performed much better in the years since Avery left, I disagree with you.

Thats fair. I'm talking about the teams he was on tho, he made those teams better. I rather have Avery on the 4th line over Glass

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Thats fair. I'm talking about the teams he was on tho, he made those teams better. I rather have Avery on the 4th line over Glass

I'd rather have you on the 4th line than Glass.

I thought Avery was entertaining and useful his first stint here. That was an aging team that needed a shot in the arm and he provided it.

I think his NHL career and effectiveness took a nose dive starting with his embarrassing stint in Dallas and through his 2nd stint here with the Rangers. Lots of people like to blame Torts for that, but Avery was completely unhinged at that point.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
if that 5% rule was correct that means that Lee Stempniak is making under 50,000 for the year.

It's not. Exaggerated is an understatement. I enjoyed the article nevertheless, union talking points aside.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I thought Avery was entertaining and useful his first stint here. That was an aging team that needed a shot in the arm and he provided it.

I think his NHL career and effectiveness took a nose dive starting with his embarrassing stint in Dallas and through his 2nd stint here with the Rangers. Lots of people like to blame Torts for that, but Avery was completely unhinged at that point.

Its odd because Avery and Torts butted heads — but they are both very similar. They both can be effective to a point. And then things make a complete 180. I agree that when Avery first got here, the effect he had was positive and impactful. But that impact just isn't long lasting of sustainable with borderline personalities like Torts and Avery.

NYRangerFan*

Well i am fast. A bit small tho, 5'8 :laugh:

Thats true. For a young team, Avery isn't a good idea but for a veteran team, he worked out

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Its odd because Avery and Torts butted heads — but they are both very similar. They both can be effective to a point. And then things make a complete 180. I agree that when Avery first got here, the effect he had was positive and impactful. But that impact just isn't long lasting of sustainable with borderline personalities like Torts and Avery.

Agreed.

Torts was still in effective mode when Avery was around the 2nd time wearing out his welcome.

But they are similar in a sense that their shelf lives are short. Both are combustable guys with chips on their shoulders.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
I think the article while possibly being a little over the top does a good job of trying the shock and or scare the audience it was intended for. This article is basically directed at young NHL athletes and trys to make the point that A) your career doesn't last forever and B) that million dollar contract isn't anywhere close to a million dollars etc

He is saying Hey, be smart with your money, use the freebies or bank the extra cash. This is good advice for anyone.

I think Avery just likes to bust balls and is really good at it. I have known many guys over my life who were like this. If you were buddies it was no big deal whatever but if you weren't people could get really really pissed. Its probably why he got along so well with Hull. They both have that smile that screams punch me in the face.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Avery in his first stint was great, he was entertaining, creative, and got under his opponents' skin.

I was excited for him to return in 2009, but he was a caricature of his former self. Opponents weren't taking the bait anymore and the officials had a careful eye on him. When he was engaging in his typical Avery antics, it felt stale and contrived, like he was doing it for publicity and attention. I defended him for awhile and denied he was a distraction, but once he started flouting team rules, that was it for me.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Seemed to have a problem with authority that got him shipped out of every team he played for and made him a pariah in the NHL.
He was shipped out of Detroit because he was the asset that L.A. demanded in exchange for Schneider. Some behind the scenes footage from "The Season" shows Scotty Bowman saying they shouldn't make the deal because Avery is special or unique (can't remember what wording he used).

He left the Rangers because he was offered $16 million because he was a good hockey player. He later was expelled largely because their head coach was a child.

So I don't think that's a fair statement.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He was shipped out of Detroit because he was the asset that L.A. demanded in exchange for Schneider. Some behind the scenes footage from "The Season" shows Scotty Bowman saying they shouldn't make the deal because Avery is special or unique (can't remember what wording he used).

He left the Rangers because he was offered $16 million because he was a good hockey player. He later was expelled largely because their head coach was a child.

So I don't think that's a fair statement.

Fair enough. Ill give you Detroit and 1st Rangers stint.

He was jettisoned from LA and, especially, Dallas because of his antics.

I disagree about your assessment of Rangers part 2.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway

2:14

Just the best ****-eating grin you'll see

I remember this. I fealt so sorry for Artie. It is not that uncommon (spelling?) to do a thing like that in European hockey, and no one cryes about it. Disrespectful...come on. It`s a fun thing to do. When Linus Omark put up a little show during a shut out, they whine and cry over it? Ok..Rant over :yo:

I miss Avery too, he added some coulors to a grey Torts team

Last edited:

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Considering the team has performed much better in the years since Avery left, I disagree with you.

They have performed much better since Jagr left too, I guess we can say that Glass is a better player than Jagr?
Avery was a entertainer,fun to watch.
Edit: Sorry, didn`t read post #63-64 before I wrote this.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3