OT: The Avalounge -- If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoppaForsberg*

Me and my friend have been talking about robots for the past hour or so, and I have a question for HF.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
giphy.gif

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
^^^Just finished watching the latest season of Veep the other day and Tony Hale (Buster) is great in that too. I love that show. Veep and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are my two favourite comedies right now. Curb goes back to the #1 spot though if/when they do another season.

FoppaForsberg*

Okay. Say that robots become highly advanced, so much so that they appear just like a human. And you met someone, and really hit it off and started dating and really enjoy them. But then one day they reveal to you that they are a robot, would you stop dating them?

This all stemmed from hypothetical robot questions, which stemmed from Ex Machina last night.

FoppaForsberg*

All it takes is one idiot to screw up and robots rule the world.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Okay. Say that robots become highly advanced, so much so that they appear just like a human. And you met someone, and really hit it off and started dating and really enjoy them. But then one day they reveal to you that they are a robot, would you stop dating them?

This all stemmed from hypothetical robot questions, which stemmed from Ex Machina last night.

Yes, because one they cannot feel and two they can't reproduce.

My friend had a class about robots and the prof ask should they have equal rights... the answer is no.

FoppaForsberg*

Yes, because one they cannot feel and two they can't reproduce.

My friend had a class about robots and the prof ask should they have equal rights... the answer is no.

Yeah but say they did, say that they became so advanced that they could 'feel' in a sense. And this is all after you've already been dating for several months, maybe a year, and then suddenly you find out they're a robot. Are those feelings not real?

I'm the king of hypothetical questions.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I suppose if they can feel and reproduce, it becomes a little interesting. Do they have the capabilities of expressing emotions? Can they be sarcastic, witty or funny? In a nutshell do they have personalities and not just cd plugged inside them futurama style.

Another question would be can they die or do they just become obsolete? I'm sure if we become so advanced to building a robot we can find a way to prolong their life where they can't actually die, which becomes another problem. As the beauty of life is that it ends. If they can just live a life that's for thousand years, how could they move on once all their friends and family die?

FoppaForsberg*

I suppose if they can feel and reproduce, it becomes a little interesting. Do they have the capabilities of expressing emotions? Can they be sarcastic, witty or funny? In a nutshell do they have personalities and not just cd plugged inside them futurama style.

Another question would be can they die or do they just become obsolete? I'm sure if we become so advanced to building a robot we can find a way to prolong their life where they can't actually die, which becomes another problem. As the beauty of life is that it ends. If they can just live a life that's for thousand years, how could they move on once all their friends and family die?

Yes, they can learn and adapt, quickly learn the advanced fundamentals of human interactions like sarcasm and wit and do them just as well as humans. They're basically humans outside the fact that their insides are circuitry and wires.

Hmm.. wipe their memory of previous friends and family perhaps? Or rewrite their code so they don't feel emotions on the ones they've lost. That's if they're humans they're trying to forget, if they're anti human and just wanna stick with their robot brethrens they won't have to worry about that though because they've all live forever.

I would think they would eventually die, or become obsolete though. The earlier robots would be inferior to a robot made 500 years after it, so I would assume they would be had for scraps or something.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
1996-97 Avs @ Habs is on NHL network right now. Roy's first game back in Montreal.

Kerry Frasiers pompadour is epic.

2nd week in a row they've shown an old Avs game on a Thursday. I thought about starting a GDT but it would have been overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad