The Atlantic Division

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Meh, these are things that could possibly happen or not.....As far as not much help on the way we have already seen some great nhl games by both White and Chabot this season,add in a potential lottery pick along with kids like Brown,Batherson,Formenton etc,etc ..And we arent in as hopeless a position as many would believe,there are 7 teams that made the playoff last season that could miss this year...Think that wont happen again next season??
those things are all LIKELY to happen. not could happen. at least 2or 3 WILL happen.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The variance in who is in a playoffs position isn't as dynamic as you make it to be this season and you know that VERY WELL.

I will repeat it: we played more teams who are in a playoffs spot than you did (27 vs 26) & even more in relation to total games played (52% vs 46%), we have a way superior record vs those better teams (17-5-5 vs 13-11-2). This is self explanatory.

About "taking advantage of weaker competition", you did: you played 30 games vs teams not in a playoffs spot, we played 25 games vs those.
And about taking advantage, how about this: vs Western teams outside of the playoffs we are 3-5, you are 10-3-1. See, I too can isolate certain data and make an argument like yours.

And yes, there's a chasm. 117 points pace vs 101 is a chasm. That pace, when we played 52% of games vs better teams when you only had 46% of your games vs them, makes it more of a chasm. And that chasm gets even bigger when one considers that we lost 130+ men games and we fielded only 70% of the team in half the games we played.

I find it a bit weird you're trying to spin losing to bad teams as a positive.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
those things are all LIKELY to happen. not could happen. at least 2or 3 WILL happen.
Crystal ball much??What would happen if Matthews went through what our best player did this offseason??I think you would be singing a different tune,the leafs look great but anything can happen please try not to be so sure your scenario is the only thing that is for sure

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Ottawa was terrible tonight, if Condon didn't play well after they pulled Anderson it could have been 9-3 for Toronto.

I cannot believe that anyone would think Ottawa was Ontario's team, they can't even fill their arena.

The worst part of hockey..the Send scored 3 goals so Anderson was off the hook. Condon took the L in this game, so undeservedly.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Crystal ball much??What would happen if Matthews went through what our best player did this offseason??I think you would be singing a different tune,the leafs look great but anything can happen please try not to be so sure your scenario is the only thing that is for sure

you don't need a crystal ball to say that if you have 5 or 6 things with an 80% chance 9f happening, 2 or 3 WILL happen.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Am I the only one here who thinks Florida may be able to make a run at one of the wild card spots. 9 points back with 4 games in hand. They would have to finish the season really strong, needing >40 points in their last 30 games.

I think realistically they would need 95ish points, so 43 in 30 games. Thats a P% of just over %70, high, but not impossible.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Am I the only one here who thinks Florida may be able to make a run at one of the wild card spots. 9 points back with 4 games in hand. They would have to finish the season really strong, needing >40 points in their last 30 games.

I think realistically they would need 95ish points, so 43 in 30 games. Thats a P% of just over %70, high, but not impossible.

They definitely have a shot at the wildcard. Despite the poor reputation others give them by association, they are on the same level as most of the Metro teams.

Reactions: emilepep

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
1 Right, so until that’s ascertained your argument, which is based on unknown numbers, has no legs.

2. I’ve never thought about it, I suppose a team that’s elite doesn’t get whupped by the Buffalo Sabres though, lol.

Note: I don’t think Toronto is elite, so when they lose to the Sabres too this posts can’t bite me in the ass.

1. Nope, it has great legs to stand on. Though that doesn't suit your argument, so it's better - for you - to discard it.

2. Since that's the level you want to stoop down to, I will oblige:
- Toronto lost to Arizona 4-1... At home... While being outshot too.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
They definitely have a shot at the wildcard. Despite the poor reputation others give them by association, they are on the same level as most of the Metro teams.
They have a good young core and average to above-average goal tending. I think they have the skill to do it, but there is a great chance they flop in the last 30 games and do absolutely nothing.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I find it a bit weird you're trying to spin losing to bad teams as a positive.
One would think that this was rocket science... Oh well...

A 683 pts% vs non playoffs teams isn't "losing". As a matter of fact, it's winning better than your entire average (=623) this season.

But a 722 pts% is higher, therefore better, than 683%. And 722% is way better than that 538 you have vs the best teams.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
The whole Metro is between the Leafs and the Panthers, not sure I've ever seen that before.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
One would think that this was rocket science... Oh well...

A 683 pts% vs non playoffs teams isn't "losing". As a matter of fact, it's winning better than your entire average (=623) this season.

But a 722 pts% is higher, therefore better, than 683%. And 722% is way better than that 538 you have vs the best teams.

Wow your team never loses and you’re still at the same level of points as us. Congrats on being at Leafs level for now at your very best- until you fall back to earth.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Wow your team never loses and you’re still at the same level of points as us. Congrats on being at Leafs level for now at your very best- until you fall back to earth.

Tied first with Nashville for least regulation losses (12), third in all losses (regulation + OT).
Two regulation losses in the last 24 games, five in the last 36.
Yeah, we pretty much lose less than everyone and for sure less than you guys. <- fact-rich paragraph.

And the easy answer to your question, it's games in hand.
We have 74 points in 53 games. When you were at 53 games, you had 65. That gives you a good idea of where the real difference is...

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Tied first with Nashville for least regulation losses (12), third in all losses (regulation + OT).
Two regulation losses in the last 24 games, five in the last 36.
Yeah, we pretty much lose less than everyone and for sure less than you guys. <- fact-rich paragraph.

And the easy answer to your question, it's games in hand.
We have 74 points in 53 games. When you were at 53 games, you had 65. That gives you a good idea of where the real difference is...

And yet you’re at the same level of points. Congrats. So cocky over nothing!

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
And yet you’re at the same level of points. Congrats. So cocky over nothing!
I can't simplify that concept more than showing you examples with real numbers. It's at the simplest level possible, I can't go any lower than that in simplicity. If you don't understand, I can't help you.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I can't simplify that concept more than showing you examples with real numbers. It's at the simplest level possible, I can't go any lower than that in simplicity. If you don't understand, I can't help you.

Toronto - low 70’s
Boston - low 70’s

Simplest level possible. I can’t help you more either.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
you don't need a crystal ball to say that if you have 5 or 6 things with an 80% chance 9f happening, 2 or 3 WILL happen.
Odd... When I used the same type of argument about most aspects of Toronto last season, no Leafs fans agreed and as a matter of fact were so angry. I could have used you for that... :)

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Odd... When I used the same type of argument about most aspects of Toronto last season, no Leafs fans agreed and as a matter of fact were so angry. I could have used you for that... :)
I'm not sure what youre referring to. i suppose it would depend on the 5 things. 33 year olds that are already declining continuing to do so are a near sure thing. 26 yeat old goalies devliningvare highly likely. players hitting UFA, on a horrid team with severe arganizational issues is a complete unknown but significant possibility. no one can really say what's happening there.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I'm not sure what youre referring to. i suppose it would depend on the 5 things. 33 year olds that are already declining continuing to do so are a near sure thing. 26 yeat old goalies devliningvare highly likely. players hitting UFA, on a horrid team with severe arganizational issues is a complete unknown but significant possibility. no one can really say what's happening there.
I was talking about the concept in general. That's all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad