News Article: The Atlantic: 10 Left Shot defensemen (the LA Kings should consider)

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
olli-maatta-maatta-goal.gif

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Olli Määttä, Detroit - The irony.

I am fine with whatever except for Provorov depending on price, really. I only really care about moving RD off of the roster, but if there is a solid LD out there then sure. I like Chychrun, but don't want anything to do with him at the price that Arizona is asking for. I am hoping for a stalwart shutdown LD that is hard to play against more than anything. We have all the puck movers we need.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
That is a lot of retention so you'd have to pay up for that. Isn't there a dollar limit on how much can be retained...not sure they could even do 50%.
(not fully directed at you) but I am always curious why people reply in this fashion questioning things that they themselves admit they don't know. Because you are 104% wrong

• The percentage retained cannot be more than 50 percent of the salary and cap hit.

Other rules, which don't currently pertain to the Phlyers because they aren't retaining on any players

There are a few key limitations:

• ‘Salary’ refers to remaining base player salary and bonuses, including signing bonuses.
  • The percentage retained cannot be more than 50 percent of the salary and cap hit.
  • The same percentage must be retained for both salary and cap hit. This cannot be altered from year to year.
  • Teams are limited to three retained salary contracts each season.
  • Teams cannot retain more than an aggregate amount of 15 percent of the salary cap upper limit. In 2014-15 that number is $10.35 million.
  • A player’s contract can only be traded twice in a retained salary transaction

Reactions: Steve Zissou

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
(not fully directed at you) but I am always curious why people reply in this fashion questioning things that they themselves admit they don't know. Because you are 104% wrong

Other rules, which don't currently pertain to the Phlyers because they aren't retaining on any players

There are a few key limitations:

• ‘Salary’ refers to remaining base player salary and bonuses, including signing bonuses.
  • The same percentage must be retained for both salary and cap hit. This cannot be altered from year to year.
  • Teams are limited to three retained salary contracts each season.
  • Teams cannot retain more than an aggregate amount of 15 percent of the salary cap upper limit. In 2014-15 that number is $10.35 million.
  • A player’s contract can only be traded twice in a retained salary transaction
So there is a dollar limit but not on a per player basis. Got it.

"...of the salary and cap hit" is an interesting way to put it. His total salary this year is $4.75M but his cap hit is $2MM more. Are they limited on how much they can retain or would that 50% fluctuate based on the lower of cap/salary?

Speaking of salary, holy shit the Kings aren't touching this guy. $8.5MM and $8.625MM in actual dollars the next two seasons coupled with his subpar play? No thanks.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
So there is a dollar limit but not on a per player basis. Got it.

"...of the salary and cap hit" is an interesting way to put it. His total salary this year is $4.75M but his cap hit is $2MM more. Are they limited on how much they can retain or would that 50% fluctuate based on the lower of cap/salary?

Speaking of salary, holy shit the Kings aren't touching this guy. $8.5MM and $8.625MM in actual dollars the next two seasons coupled with his subpar play? No thanks.
Bold 1: The rules are clearly spelled out in the link provided

50% retained would mean a cap hit of $3,375,000
40% retained would mean a cap hit of $4,050,000
30% retained would be a cap hit of $4,725,000

He is much better than he has been this year in Philly. That team is in trouble long term and also Torts

I trust our pro scouting more than ever. They were totally right on Moore, Fiala, Stetcher was a great bargain pickup to fill holes last year. They also hit a homerun with Copely.
If they see something in him and the right deal can be made, I am all for it

Reactions: Steve Zissou

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Bold 1: The rules are clearly spelled out in the link provided

50% retained would mean a cap hit of $3,375,000
40% retained would mean a cap hit of $4,050,000
30% retained would be a cap hit of $4,725,000

He is much better than he has been this year in Philly. That team is in trouble long term and also Torts

I trust our pro scouting more than ever. They were totally right on Moore, Fiala, Stetcher was a great bargain pickup to fill holes last year. They also hit a homerun with Copely.
If they see something in him and the right deal can be made, I am all for it
"Cannot be more than 50% of the salary and cap hit"

$3,375M is more than 50% of his current salary for the year but is 50% of his cap hit.

I'm not clicking on the link: I want you to explain it to me like I'm a simpleton bringing you some soft serve while my gunshot wound to the buttocks heals up.

As for the pro scouting, I'm not patting them on the back for Fiala since he scored over a PPG last year. They've done well with established good players that didn't cost significant assets outside of Fiala who, again, was a known stud. This would cost assets plus the contract problem while hoping he reclaims his game from a few years ago.

It would be risky. The main thing, IMO, is that it doesn't put them over the top and probably doesn't move the needle enough.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Let's invent a time machine and trade for a 25 year old Mattias Ekholm.

Otherwise, I want Walman from Detroit. If that can't happen then it's Chychrun or bust from me.

Reactions: funky

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think McCabe's value might be two 2nd round picks (or equivalent). That's what Regehr cost. Hopefully it would only cost one 2nd.

Some Coyote's fans think that while the ask for Chych is two 1sts and a 2nd, that he'll likely get one 1st and two 2nd equivalent assets.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

$3,375M is more than 50% of his current salary for the year but is 50% of his cap hit.

I'm not clicking on the link: I want you to explain it to me like I'm a simpleton bringing you some soft serve while my gunshot wound to the buttocks heals up.

As for the pro scouting, I'm not patting them on the back for Fiala since he scored over a PPG last year. They've done well with established good players that didn't cost significant assets outside of Fiala who, again, was a known stud. This would cost assets plus the contract problem while hoping he reclaims his game from a few years ago.

It would be risky. The main thing, IMO, is that it doesn't put them over the top and probably doesn't move the needle enough.

It’s 50% of the cap hit. If Philadelphia retains 50% on Provorov, both the Kings and Flyers would be on the hook for $3,375,000 for this year and the following two years.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego

The phrase in bold is referring to the fact that the salary AND cap hit cannot be more than 50% each. In other words, if the team takes 50% salary retention, then they must also take a 50% cap hit, or vice versa. You can't do 50% cap hit and 99% salary....the salary and cap hit must be equal, with the max set at 50%.

If Philly retains 50% of Provorov's cap hit, they must also retain 50% of his salary....thus his cap hit to the Kings would be 3.375 AAV, with actual dollar to Provorov from the Kings at $4.3125 mil.

Philly has not used any of the 3 salary retention trades available. Consequently, they'd also be under the 15% salary cap available for the 3 salary retention. If the Oilers wanted to trade away their 3 most expensive contracts with 50% retention, they wouldn't be able to since they'd be over the 15% salary cap, at the moment. They'd have to wait until the salary cap hit 100+ mil or offer less retention until then :laugh:

When teams trade a player, they can retain, or keep, some of the players' salary and cap hit. The team keeps a % of both the cap hit and salary for the remainder of the contract.

Therefore, if a Player with a Salary of $2.0M and a Cap Hit/AAV of $3.0M is traded with 20% retention, the trading team would continue to pay 20% of the $2.0M Salary and would continue to have a cap hit of 20% of the $3.0M Cap Hit.

The maximum retention % is 50%.

Teams can only carry a maximum of 3 Retained Salaries at a time.

An individual contract can only have a maximum of 2 teams retaining salary on it.

The maximum amount of retained salary by a team is 15% of the Salary Cap for the current year.

If a team retains salary on a traded player and that player is later sent to the minors, there is no change to the cap hit for the retaining team.

If a team retains salary on a trade, they cannot reacquire that player for one year from the date of the transaction, unless the contract ends prior to one year.

Last edited:

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The phrase in bold is referring to the fact that the salary AND cap hit cannot be more than 50% each. In other words, if the team takes 50% salary retention, then they must also take a 50% in the cap hit, or vice versa. You can't do 50% cap hit and 99% salary....the salary and cap hit must be equal, with the max set at 50%.

If Philly retains 50% of Provorov's cap hit, they must also retain 50% of his salary....thus his cap hit to the Kings would be 3.375 AAV, with actual dollar to Provorov from the Kings at $4.3125 mil.

Philly has not used any of the 3 salary retention trades available. Consequently, they'd also be under the 15% salary cap available for the 3 salary retention. If the Oilers wanted to trade away their 3 most expensive contracts with 50% retention, they wouldn't be able to since they'd be over the 15% salary cap, at the moment. They'd have to wait until the salary cap hit 100+ mil or offer less retention until then :laugh:

Awesome. So it is as simple as I always thought it was before wandering in to this thread today.

Reactions: King'sPawn

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I don't know much about any of those players but I'd like to see the Kings get a physical LH SAH defenseman.
I'm in the same boat when it comes to knowing the players and thinking the Kings need physicality, size, and defensive stops from a LD2.

Gavrikov and Joel Edmundson seem to be decent options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad