The Athletic TO: Has Anyone Subscribed? Is it Worth It?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This is the newest thing (well not "new" it's out for a while), but i am noticing there are a lot more articles, and while you can read one or two, the majority now are behind the paywall.

has anyone subscribed? is it worth it?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'm noticing I am missing some of the free stuff (or if you go back, they go behind the paywall). I got a 20% discount because Mirtle hired this Jonah Carey person? and i'm like yah for a year minus 20%... maybe. I'm trying to get the whole experience.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Got it when it came out. They definitely come out with some quality opinions and insight into the team. They follow the other Toronto sports teams too but I really only use it for the Leafs articles.

There's one author there who I've really liked so far. Jack Han and his The Video Room series. He has very detailed breakdowns into things like "How the Maple Leafs system allows them to generate so many shots", "What individual skills make Auston Matthews an NHL all-star?" and others. Brings up some very detailed points and good videos posted in the article to enhance his points.

Of course there's always Mirtle and Alter with their articles too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I like it a lot - the articles go pretty in depth, some nice stats work too that you likely wouldn't find in most media outlets. I just got subscription
You also get access to articles from other cities that the Atheltic has offices in (should you be interested in other teams/sports)

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I bought a subscription and read probably 2-3 articles a day. I've enjoyed it so far and don't have an issue supporting some of the writers I like.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Is there even such a thing as content behind a paywall that won't in some way make its way to free sources eventually? Especially in this market...

What's the style of journalism comparable to?

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I subscribed for a year. It's quality.

They don't clickbait to get ad revenue. It's sub based so they get paid by writing good articles.

Mirtle is one of the best, and they have a bunch of other fantastic writers. Down Goes Brown is writing for them too.

Totally worth supporting them.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I never understand why people pay to read articles when they can get the same articles from countless others for free

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I never understand why people pay to read articles when they can get the same articles from countless others for free

Because it's supporting people doing quality work.

And they are not the same articles.

Get clickbait crap just for ad revenue or pay for quality articles that are researched and smart.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How do you know they're the same if you don't pay and read them?

because if I really want to read an article behind a paywall I will just wait for someone to post it here because they will

short of that there is this thing called google articles can be found.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
because if I really want to read an article behind a paywall I will just wait for someone to post it here because they will

short of that there is this thing called google articles can be found.

you realise you can't quote whole articles, here, right?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I subscribed for a year. It's quality.

They don't clickbait to get ad revenue. It's sub based so they get paid by writing good articles.

Mirtle is one of the best, and they have a bunch of other fantastic writers. Down Goes Brown is writing for them too.

Totally worth supporting them.

yah i am reading some, and i'm like yah, i'm not going to bother cancelling. i'm enjoying the content. (luckily i got the discount ;) i might not feel so "yah i'll keep it" if i was paying 50+

Mad Brills*

There are ways to get their content for free, but you should be supporting good content. That's the way the industry is oging this way.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Is there even such a thing as content behind a paywall that won't in some way make its way to free sources eventually? Especially in this market...

What's the style of journalism comparable to?

I've actually noticed a trend of media companies moving towards subscription centric revenue streams.

The articles tend to be "long form" journalism - so more in depth than other sites that tend to keep things on the shorter end

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
They give you a ton of stuff for free but the quality of articles is so good it guilted me into subscribing lol. I'll gladly support quality journalism.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I've actually noticed a trend of media companies moving towards subscription centric revenue streams.

The articles tend to be "long form" journalism - so more in depth than other sites that tend to keep things on the shorter end

well i know the sun is doing that or has done that for ages (but you got 10 free reads). the star's online content is woefully short.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

It is the trend. The trend will soon also include web tokens and knowledge will cost money. Leaving opinions as well and monthly subscriptions for your PCs OS. The wonderful wide web will be a highly censored cash cow that gives us all a unique web identifier effectively taking away annonimity. We will all love it and it won't be advertisement free. I personally can't wait. I hope they do the same for churches, libraries and other places as well because to be frank, I don't like having to share some of the spaces with the rabble.

#Auroraboy

Add. I hope HFBoards converts to this model soon and charges two cents per post. That would be awesome.

Get rid of terrible posters here as well.

Last edited:

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I've been contemplating subscribing. I like Mirtle and Alter.

How are their podcasts?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I'm noticing I am missing some of the free stuff (or if you go back, they go behind the paywall). I got a 20% discount because Mirtle hired this Jonah Carey person? and i'm like yah for a year minus 20%... maybe. I'm trying to get the whole experience.

Jonah Keri? Assuming it's him, one of the best baseball writers around imo. Used to write for Grantland when it was still going, he's a very good read.

They have Eric Koreen who I like as a basketball writer. Listened to him a few times on Zach Lowe's podcast talking Raptors.

On top of Mirtle, if the all encompassing landscape of Toronto sports interests you I'd say it's worth it with the personnel they're assembling.

Top Chedz

Jan 26, 2017
Their quality is top notch. It's worth it if you're interested in reading everything there is to know about the Leafs. Mirtle is great IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad