THE ATHLETIC: The future of NHL TV broadcasts is coming, and it looks very different

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Atheltic has a paywall but I was given permission by them to display part of the column via screengrabs that link back to them.

The future of NHL TV broadcasts is coming, and it looks very...

upload_2018-12-5_4-45-4.png

upload_2018-12-5_4-47-55.png

I know that NBC has done a couple of test games doing what Flood wants to sell to Bettman and there is a very good chance that NBC will do a game like this in early 2019 with the main game on NBC and NBCSN showing the enhanced production.

Comcast has signed a test deal in New Jersey where Xfinity users with a X1 remote can bet via William Hill on any props offered by using the D button on the remote.

This is the direction we are headed.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Do people really want to be directing all the camera angles if they are actually trying to watch the game? I wouldn't but I guess it's a way to engage casual fans.

The NHL does need to invest in better microphone systems and better cameras though, more high-speed cameras so they can get away from blurry low resolution slow motion replays. I was watching some CFL games this year where they really did an amazing job micing up the field, live mics the whole time. Something to emulate although you might have to put the broadcast on a 7 second delay.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Do people really want to be directing all the camera angles if they are actually trying to watch the game? I wouldn't but I guess it's a way to engage casual fans.
Personally I hate the "action cut" where they go to a close up for no reason and make it impossible to see what is happening. The D is carrying the puck out of his zone and looking for a pass but we better show you his face! I also hate how on a goal line play they never show the overhead angle first.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Give me a legitimate 4k stream with minimal camera movement. With a 55"-65" TV, at 4k you can pretty much read the player names on the jerseys at normal zoom, so following the puck should be easy. You'll likely never get a true 4k cable stream anytime soon, so focus on making the online stream as good as possible, and it should revolutionize the way people follow hockey.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
They're right that people like watching with two screens, but it doesn't follow that your second screen should just be a different angle of the same action you're seeing on the main screen.

In my ideal world I want my handheld screen to supplement. Have it so I can find in-game stats, watch replays on the fly, receive on-the-go analysis, discuss with other fans.

Mr. Fancy Pants

Sep 20, 2002
Gifu
Visit site
The NHL does need to invest in better microphone systems and better cameras though

Is it just me or does is it seem that you could hear the crowd better and louder in broadcasts 20 years ago? Now it seems they turn the crowd noise down and the announcers up. Just give me a broadcast where I can turn off the announcers and I'd be happy (MLB used to have this as part of their online streaming service).

Reactions: OddyOh

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Just give me a broadcast where I can turn off the announcers and I'd be happy (MLB used to have this as part of their online streaming service).
NFL is the league who should really be doing this-turn up the crowd and put a mike on the lead ref so you can hear what's happening on the field-and no more tony romo or joe buck babbling about whatever

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Is it just me or does is it seem that you could hear the crowd better and louder in broadcasts 20 years ago? Now it seems they turn the crowd noise down and the announcers up. Just give me a broadcast where I can turn off the announcers and I'd be happy (MLB used to have this as part of their online streaming service).

NFL is the league who should really be doing this-turn up the crowd and put a mike on the lead ref so you can hear what's happening on the field-and no more tony romo or joe buck babbling about whatever

That would be the dream bur I don't think any league will do this because the announcers slip ads in. They would lose significant revenue if it ever got popular.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Sounds like an idiotic gimmick that nobody wants and nobody will enjoy.

North-south view? Really? Literally the worst angle imaginable for hockey. They figured that out over 50 years ago.

Reactions: OddyOh and Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

In the older buildings, the announcers were usually close or in the crowd. Now they are at the top of the arena.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
North-South view.

f***. No. Bad enough we have to watch that garbage on the PP in the playoffs.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

NBC did a game with no announcers in 1980

Reactions: Tarantula

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
For me, the future would be VR. Every team takes out a few seats and replaces it with a 360 camera. You put your headset on and you're at the game. Optional commentary, real crowd noise. I'd pay double for that.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
What i see in my magic glass ball:

In 50 years you will have a suit, VR helm and you will pick your player. And then you will see the game, and you wil also feel the game like he. Hard body-check - boom, you will take it. Puck to the feet - boom, you will feel it. And also when he scores a goal, the suit will pump into your body some chemical and you will feel exactly the same feeling, like the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad