[The Athletic] NHL’s losses will top $1 billion

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Bettman said that the NHL would actually lose less money had league owners opted to cancel the entire season than it will playing for the most part without fans. He stated that in-arena revenues make up about 50 percent of all hockey-related revenues – less than many people believe – but the losses are still expected to go from millions of dollars to at least $1 billion.

NHL's losses will top $1 billion: What Gary Bettman revealed about the season

Not good, not good. I'm happy that we get to experience a season at all. Couldn't care less about all the naming rights and helmet sponsors.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
source.gif

CookiesAndMilk

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Some more interesting bits from the article:
  • Three teams are planning to start the season with a small percentage of fans in their buildings (fewer than 5,000): Arizona, Florida and Dallas.
  • As for the discussion that these creative advertising strategies might inevitably lead to ads being placed on NHL jerseys, Bettman insisted that isn’t the case. “The jury is still out on jersey signage,” the commissioner said. But sponsorship experts believe that strategies to increase sponsorship in this unprecedented time will be hard to walk away from when and if things return to “normal” for the NHL.
  • The league remains confident that they will return to a normal schedule next fall, which will include the introduction of the NHL’s 32nd team, the Seattle Kraken. What might change, however, is the lead-up to the annual draft as many of the developmental leagues are either not operating this season or operating in a severely reduced fashion.
  • Daly acknowledged there has been some discussion from within the league’s Central Scouting Bureau about having some sort of bubble tournament that would allow young players to be seen by NHL teams prior to the draft, which is scheduled for July 23-24. The priority, of course, is getting the NHL season up and running smoothly before turning attention to offseason events like that.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
but the losses are still expected to go from millions of dollars to at least $1 billion.
Huh? This would indicate that the losses are expected to be at least $1 billion, either ''from millions of dollars'' or ''to at least $1 billion'' are completely unnecessary in this sentence.

What kind of dumb antonymic language do the Athletic use?

Reactions: Summer Rose

CookiesAndMilk

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Huh? This would indicate that the losses are expected to be at least $1 billion, either ''from millions of dollars'' or ''to at least $1 billion'' are completely unnecessary in this sentence.

What kind of dumb antonymic language do the Athletic use?
He followed up with that if it helps:

The magnitude of the loss starts with a ‘B’,” Bettman said but was not more specific on whether that could be billion singular or billions plural.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
He followed up with that if it helps:

The magnitude of the loss starts with a ‘B’,” Bettman said but was not more specific on whether that could be billion singular or billions plural.
Yeah, well if it would say ''from millions of dollars to $1 billion'', the sentence would at least make sense, but then of course the entire article would be pretty worthless since everyone understands that the league will lose ''''''''millions of dollars''''''''.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, well if it would say ''from millions of dollars to $1 billion'', the sentence would at least make sense, but then of course the entire article would be pretty worthless since everyone understands that the league will lose ''''''''millions of dollars''''''''.

He's not giving a range for the losses, the statement is saying that the losses would have been in the millions (presumably if there was no season), but now it's going to be at least a billion.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
He's not giving a range for the losses, the statement is saying that the losses would have been in the millions (presumably if there was no season), but now it's going to be at least a billion.
How is the sentence ''but the losses are still expected to go from millions of dollars to at least $1 billion'' not describing a range?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
How is the sentence ''but the losses are still expected to go from millions of dollars to at least $1 billion'' not describing a range?

Because he's describing two different scenarios. The first one is the losses for the league not to play the second is for the league to play with no fans. If I get a new job and say "my salary is going to go from 60K to 80K", I'm not saying my salary is going to be somewhere between 60K and 80K, I'm saying it's going from one number to the other.

CookiesAndMilk

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Because he's describing two different scenarios. The first one is the losses for the league not to play the second is for the league to play with no fans. If I get a new job and say "my salary is going to go from 60K to 80K", I'm not saying my salary is going to be somewhere between 60K and 80K, I'm saying it's going from one number to the other.
Not native in English speaking. It took me a moment to get what he wanted to say. Thx for clarifying it.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
That's not what he wrote though. It's impossible for it to range from millions of dollars to at least $1 billion. At least means at least. There is literally no way around that fact.

The correct use of language would've been if he'd written ''the losses are expected to be at least $1 billion'' or the losses are expected to go from millions of dollars to billions of dollars.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
League won't fold, but it would be a cheaper version of the real game. These losses are a tax carry forward anyway, so future profits will be massive (meaning they would be able to write off a lot in the future).

Oct 18, 2011
Some more interesting bits from the article:
  • Three teams are planning to start the season with a small percentage of fans in their buildings (fewer than 5,000): Arizona, Florida and Dallas.
  • As for the discussion that these creative advertising strategies might inevitably lead to ads being placed on NHL jerseys, Bettman insisted that isn’t the case. “The jury is still out on jersey signage,” the commissioner said. But sponsorship experts believe that strategies to increase sponsorship in this unprecedented time will be hard to walk away from when and if things return to “normal” for the NHL.
  • The league remains confident that they will return to a normal schedule next fall, which will include the introduction of the NHL’s 32nd team, the Seattle Kraken. What might change, however, is the lead-up to the annual draft as many of the developmental leagues are either not operating this season or operating in a severely reduced fashion.
  • Daly acknowledged there has been some discussion from within the league’s Central Scouting Bureau about having some sort of bubble tournament that would allow young players to be seen by NHL teams prior to the draft, which is scheduled for July 23-24. The priority, of course, is getting the NHL season up and running smoothly before turning attention to offseason events like that.
I like the idea of a prospects bubble tournament similar to the NFL senior bowl or something along those lines

Oct 18, 2011
Bettman expects NHL financial losses in billions

It is feasible to say if there are no fans by next year the NHL could fold.

Will there be fans?
The NHL is in no danger of folding, do not confuse losing projected income to becoming insolvent. Player salaries are already reduced, travel is reduced, obviously it's a gate driven league but this isn't going to kill it.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
That next TV deal can't come soon enough eh?

As much as I'd love to feel the NHL was being generous running the season at a loss, I always have to come back to that. A good renewal of the TV deal would offset the losses from this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad