The Atheletic now covers all 31 NHL teams

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Introducing coverage for all 31 NHL teams: The Athletic is...

When I [James Mirtle] joined The Athletic almost two years ago, the Maple Leafs were just the second NHL team we had coverage for. Last season at this time, that had just increased to 15 teams — including eight in the U.S. and seven in Canada — with Pittsburgh recently added to the fold.

Beginning today, we will have full-time beat coverage of every single NHL team, just in time for the 2018-19 season to open on Wednesday. That means we plan to be at every NHL game, all 1,271 during the regular season and roughly 100 more in the playoffs.

It’s been a remarkable journey from there to here, and it wouldn’t have been possible without hockey fans signing up for subscriptions en masse right from the beginning. NHL coverage hasn’t always been a priority at large media outlets, especially in the U.S., but it has been a driving force for us, to the extent it made sense to provide high-end analysis and reporting on all 31 teams this season.

Nice. And it's been a good read for me this past year.

There are folks unable to get the scratch together to pay for a subscription. But there are often discounts out there available if you look. (31% available at the moment; and my referral seems to be worth 25%.)

Seems to be a lot better (in depth, frequency, persistence) reporting with at least one pundit for each team than THN ever was.

(I know there are a few Athletic folks who have accounts on HFB.)

Congrats on the milestone. Here's to great coverage.

Reactions: Fenway
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I hopped on a 'Welcome to Athletic, Seattle' special when they first came here. It was 30% off and felt a good value (40$ for one year). The national coverage is amazing, The local coverage has been really good, although a few sports were missing at launch.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I wouldn't be surprised to see some new/additional coverage on the AHL teams. (Perhaps not a 1-1 reporter to team, but I could see someone covering Barracuda-Heat, Reign-Gulls, with perhaps single reporter (part time) coverage of Eagles, Condors, Road Runners. And perhaps 4 or so reporters for other divisions as well.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad