Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Gary+Bettman+EPA.jpg

:laugh: Yeah, that's about right.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
It's too bad most hockey fans were so thirsty for controversy that they immediately had Wideman engraved as the bad guy. Even if he wins the appeal, his new reputation won't change. Just like how Kane is still being mocked as a rapist even after how the whole thing turned out.

Recovering the money is not nearly as important as recovering his reputation in my opinion. It's an appalling reaction by the league. There was no attempt to protect what has been a very clean career.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I wonder if the Flames organization might take legal action against the league for not acting in good faith through the appeal process. If they feel that the league intentionally delayed the process in order to make sure his original suspension was served no matter what, that might be a grievance.

Flames organization? Nope. The Players Union? Sure. They can make that claim to the independent arbitrator in the Wideman appeal hearings this week if they want to.

In a case where a player is facing discipline and previous infractions are taken into consideration when deciding the punishment, is there some sort of "official record" the NHL refers to?

Let's say, hypothetically, the arbitrator rules in favour of Wideman and absolves him of any wrong doing even though he missed ~20 games. Fast forward a couple years and he's caught giving a player an illegal check to the head and he's facing discipline. When deciding the punishment, does he have a clean record up until that point or do officials take into consideration "that ref incident in 2016"?

Even if this suspension isn't rescinded, I don't think this suspension would have any bearing on Player Safety decisions down the road. This incident is unrelated to the DoPS.

If the arbitrator vacates the suspension then it is wiped from his record and can't be used to determine repeat offender status or precedent.

If the arbitrator doesn't vacate the suspension then it can be used to determine repeat offender status and as the basis for a stiffer suspension in the future if Wideman commits some other transgression. It doesn't matter that the original suspension was handled by the Department of Hockey Operations (Colin Campbell) rather then the Department of Player Safety. The CBA section for On-Ice Discipline doesn't even mention either department, just the League itself as having the power to discipline players. On-Ice Discipline covers both incidents with players and officials.

Last edited:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Arbitrators decision not expected for another week according to the Score app.

The guy's going to sit 20 before they decide he doesn't have to sit 20. Oh well, I haven't missed him

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
If the arbitrator vacates the suspension then it is wiped from his record and can't be used to determine repeat offender status or precedent.

If the arbitrator doesn't vacate the suspension then it can be used to determine repeat offender status and as the basis for a stiffer suspension in the future if Wideman commits some other transgression. It doesn't matter that the original suspension was handled by the Department of Hockey Operations (Colin Campbell) rather then the Department of Player Safety. The CBA section for On-Ice Discipline doesn't even mention either department, just the League itself as having the power to discipline players. On-Ice Discipline covers both incidents with players and officials.

Thanks for the clarification. That's another good reason to put up the fight even if he has sat out 20 games by the time of the ruling.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Arbitrators decision not expected for another week according to the Score app.

The guy's going to sit 20 before they decide he doesn't have to sit 20. Oh well, I haven't missed him

I like the direction Harley has been forced to go BUT I think it really screwed with an opportunity to trade Wide's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad