Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
They have multiple different streaming providers now. The Yankees will have 21 exclusive games on amazon prime.

I won't even get started with the costs of going to the ballpark, parking, etc.
I suppose that sucks if you're a Yankees fan.

On the flip side, for example, I'm a Padres fan. For $129.99(or free, because my cell provider is T-Mobile) I can watch every single Padres game this season. I have to use a VPN to see the games against the D-backs because they're blacked out locally, but that's easy to do. That's less than $1 a game and I can do that because MLB TV exists. I don't really understand how MLB is screwing fans over when prior to MLB TV(or MLB Extra Innings as it used to be called) I couldn't see any Padres games unless they were in town.

Costs of going to the ballpark have gone up, sure. I'd love to be able to attend games for 50 cents like they did decades ago and eat hot dogs that cost a nickel, but the world doesn't work that way. Costs of going anywhere have gone up. The movies, NHL games, NFL, MLB, the grocery store, Target, the gas station...

The Diamondbacks offer a value menu where there are numerous food options on the cheap. I eat $2 hot dogs at Chase Field and they're great. They're not half-pound dogs or anything; they're the "regular" size, which is all ballparks offered for the better part of the 20th century. In most cities, there's a viable public transportation option to get to the games.

I don't know. Not that it matters or anything. And just so we're clear, I think pro sports owners suck rocks, but MLB is an affordable entertainment option. Especially if you understand you can't park outside the front gate, sit next to the dugout, and eat all day for the same price you could in the 1930s.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I suppose that sucks if you're a Yankees fan.

On the flip side, for example, I'm a Padres fan. For $129.99(or free, because my cell provider is T-Mobile) I can watch every single Padres game this season. I have to use a VPN to see the games against the D-backs because they're blacked out locally, but that's easy to do. That's less than $1 a game and I can do that because MLB TV exists. I don't really understand how MLB is screwing fans over when prior to MLB TV(or MLB Extra Innings as it used to be called) I couldn't see any Padres games unless they were in town.

Costs of going to the ballpark have gone up, sure. I'd love to be able to attend games for 50 cents like they did decades ago and eat hot dogs that cost a nickel, but the world doesn't work that way. Costs of going anywhere have gone up. The movies, NHL games, NFL, MLB, the grocery store, Target, the gas station...

The Diamondbacks offer a value menu where there are numerous food options on the cheap. I eat $2 hot dogs at Chase Field and they're great. They're not half-pound dogs or anything; they're the "regular" size, which is all ballparks offered for the better part of the 20th century. In most cities, there's a viable public transportation option to get to the games.

I don't know. Not that it matters or anything. And just so we're clear, I think pro sports owners suck rocks, but MLB is an affordable entertainment option. Especially if you understand you can't park outside the front gate, sit next to the dugout, and eat all day for the same price you could in the 1930s.

I think the problem is, now if you have MLB.TV(which I've had before), now any of those games are blacked out if they are on the "exclusive" game on one of the few different streaming services they have signed up for. So in essence, even if you are paying for MLB.TV, you're going to need other services as well to see the other games.

Also, this is the first time I'm hearing about T-Mobile, I searched it, omg. I'm glad you mentioned something I just signed up for it through the app. Greatest thing ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I think the problem is, now if you have MLB.TV(which I've had before), now any of those games are blacked out if they are on the "exclusive" game on one of the few different streaming services they have signed up for. So in essence, even if you are paying for MLB.TV, you're going to need other services as well to see the other games.

Also, this is the first time I'm hearing about T-Mobile, I searched it, omg. I'm glad you mentioned something I just signed up for it through the app. Greatest thing ever.
Dude, right??? I was with Sprint and got moved to T-Mobile when they bought Sprint. I had already paid for MLB TV when my buddy told me about getting it for free. He said it was free last season, too, but I had no idea. And schockingly, MLB is being cool and giving me a full refund since I already have it through T-Mobile.

You'll love what they've done with the app. Everything about it is great.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Dude, right??? I was with Sprint and got moved to T-Mobile when they bought Sprint. I had already paid for MLB TV when my buddy told me about getting it for free. He said it was free last season, too, but I had no idea. And schockingly, MLB is being cool and giving me a full refund since I already have it through T-Mobile.

You'll love what they've done with the app. Everything about it is great.

Ha, i'm in the same boat(originally Sprint). I've seen the tuesday deals a couple of times, but didn't think anything like this would be showing up. Glad I hadn't ponied up for the dough, and good on the MLB for giving you a full refund.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
A buddy from Tucson wants to go to a game so I'm breaking my boycott and going this Thursday. Which app has the best prices with the lowest fees these days? I think I used seat geek last time I bought tickets but that was like 2+ years ago.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
A buddy from Tucson wants to go to a game so I'm breaking my boycott and going this Thursday. Which app has the best prices with the lowest fees these days? I think I used seat geek last time I bought tickets but that was like 2+ years ago.
Vivid Seats is pretty good. I think fees are like $10/ticket. StubHub is good, too. Their fees are just under $8/ticket.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I was up in Glendale retrieving a lost key fob at the arena. The security guy showed me a list of more than 20 concerts for next year and told me that the arena would be just fine.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I was up in Glendale retrieving a lost key fob at the arena. The security guy showed me a list of more than 20 concerts for next year and told me that the arena would be just fine.
They’re going to say that. Unless they get paid by the event. They had that many this past year.

GRA improved this year quite a bit but Pollstar numbers still put them way behind Footprint. 3-4 years from now it could be a whole different ball game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
As if a security guy would have any clue about anything GRA except for booked dates. The Coyotes gave them over 40 dates a year, so having 20 still leaves them 20 behind where they were. I think without having a major tenant it would be tough for any arena to be profitable. That is my guess, I could be wrong.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They’re going to say that. Unless they get paid by the event. They had that many this past year.

GRA improved this year quite a bit but Pollstar numbers still put them way behind Footprint. 3-4 years from now it could be a whole different ball game.
If the Coyotes get their new arena it will get worse not better. I think AM has an axe to grind with Glendale.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
As if a security guy would have any clue about anything GRA except for booked dates. The Coyotes gave them over 40 dates a year, so having 20 still leaves them 20 behind where they were. I think without having a major tenant it would be tough for any arena to be profitable. That is my guess, I could be wrong.
20 paying dates are better than 40 non paying dates. The Coyotes lease ensured they essentially played for free in Glendale. I doubt the arena makes money going forward either ftr

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Jakey 53 said:

I think the Glendale arena has always had about 20 non-hockey events every year. So yeah they are right now -43 events in the hole per year. There are arenas that do good with no major tenants but usually they are the best arena (amenities, condition, location) in their respective metros. If the Tempe arena gets built, the Glendale arena will easily be 3rd in the Phoenix metro.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the Glendale arena has always had about 20 non-hockey events every year. So yeah they are right now -43 events in the hole per year. There are arenas that do good with no major tenants but usually they are the best arena (amenities, condition, location) in their respective metros. If the Tempe arena gets built, the Glendale arena will easily be 3rd in the Phoenix metro.
What do you mean "if"?:)

Reactions: Kaizen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The team's overall play is not reflective of their record. There were a lot of well played games to go along with the stinkers like last night. If you like hockey and have the money, you can see a lot of good hockey while following a losing team.
You are what you are. The Coyotes are exactly what their record shows. Don't try to sugar coat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad