The Arizona Coyotes left Shane Doan’s retirement banner in a dumpster in Gila River Arena

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
To what purpose? So the fans could boo him? To say "thank you Arizona fans?" I don't understand why he had to show up really.
You own the team. You have spent weeks creating renderings and material for the new arena. The bid for said land is still happening. I think for his own perception within the league it would have made sense for him to show up.

In regards to the fans it’s a different story. Obviously there is less of a need for him to make the appearance there.

Reactions: Summer Rose

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
this is an example of the ENTIRE problem with the organization going back several owners. There was a website run for awhile that listed all the things the organization had done. Regardless of who owned them. They did and said stupid stuff

OTownCat

Mar 21, 2024
Florida
What's worse...dumpster/storage or being used as drip clothes?
  • Pennants proclaiming National Hockey League championships, Stanley Cup victories and other triumphs used to hang from the rafters of Maple Leaf Gardens. But they were taken down (on the premise that they were obstructing some customers' views). In 1969, painters doing over the Gardens' television booth used (perhaps unknowingly) a dozen or more of these banners to catch paint drips. Commented former Leafs' captain Syl Apps, "I would think that the pennants could have been put to better use than that. We worked awfully hard to get them. I'm rather shocked that they mean so little."

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Any reasonable and responsible employee would have found another job by now, so I don't think it is a big surprise that there would be some relatively big things overlooked.

Reactions: JMCx4

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
It sounds like it was packed away in a box with some other stuff, and then the boxes were thrown out.

Not a great look, but somewhat understandable when you think about the logistics of clearing out an entire arena’s worth of stuff.
no...that is "handle with care" priority one material...losing it in a bunch of moving boxes is not acceptable.

Reactions: cptjeff

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
What's worse...dumpster/storage or being used as drip clothes?
  • Pennants proclaiming National Hockey League championships, Stanley Cup victories and other triumphs used to hang from the rafters of Maple Leaf Gardens. But they were taken down (on the premise that they were obstructing some customers' views). In 1969, painters doing over the Gardens' television booth used (perhaps unknowingly) a dozen or more of these banners to catch paint drips. Commented former Leafs' captain Syl Apps, "I would think that the pennants could have been put to better use than that. We worked awfully hard to get them. I'm rather shocked that they mean so little."
I have questions about this story.....

1.was it old mouldy banners that were replaced with new ones...because the leafs have a lot of Banners hanging, then and now. and I'm pretty sure they had every cup banner hanging even back then........ so yeah if you replaced it it's different than packing it in a box and leaving it behind, never to be used again.

2..I can see back in the Ballard days that happening...... but that was Ballard...so of course he was a POS....

3. there were a LOT of banners hanging in the gardens taking them down was reasonable.......and things kinda meant less in those days... but for the Coyotes, who literally have what? 3 banners hanging up? maybe 4? in the 2020's? that's a much bigger mistake.

upon further reading it sounds like it was a maintenance staff that did it...seemingly without permission as they were in fact stored in the garden's upholstery shop....

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
IMO, that speaks volumes of what they really think of Doan’s loyalty for all those years, not to mention probably the rest of their players…

What a trashbag franchise.

Reactions: Kimota

OTownCat

Mar 21, 2024
Florida
I have questions about this story.....

1.was it old mouldy banners that were replaced with new ones...because the leafs have a lot of Banners hanging, then and now. and I'm pretty sure they had every cup banner hanging even back then........ so yeah if you replaced it it's different than packing it in a box and leaving it behind, never to be used again.

2..I can see back in the Ballard days that happening...... but that was Ballard...so of course he was a POS....

3. there were a LOT of banners hanging in the gardens taking them down was reasonable.......and things kinda meant less in those days... but for the Coyotes, who literally have what? 3 banners hanging up? maybe 4? in the 2020's? that's a much bigger mistake.

upon further reading it sounds like it was a maintenance staff that did it...seemingly without permission as they were in fact stored in the garden's upholstery shop....
It's straight out of Wikipedia for Harold Ballard as I didn't know much about him....he was quite the character. This was a bullet point under the heading of Other Incidents and Anecdotes about him. Both of these banner stories are sort of crazy...and disrespectful to fans whom are fully invested into these teams.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
@cptjeff
There we go Dan Synder got third place.

So first Harold Ballard [also kiddi sex ring in the garden in the 80s (not ran by him by the way, but knowing him, he might have sold tickets to it to make a buck)and overall asshole to everybody]
Second place Marge Schott (Loved her team, but racist af and hard nazi memorabilia and she was way too into her dogs).
And then there is Dan.
We willing to expand Sports to includes Sports Entertainment?

Cuz this guy would be near the tops if we did lol

1713476575234.png

• Haha
Reactions: Edenjung

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If the Coyotes return they have to not make a joke out of that franchise. Unless it's used as a dumping ground for unwanted contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad