Speculation: The Annual European League to NHL UDFA Chatter?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I haven't seen any speculation on who might be the plums from this year's UDFA's from the various European leagues which has seemed like a mid-January rite of passage in previous seasons. Perhaps it is just buried in team forums, but usually by this point there is some public chatter leaking out about possible destinations. Is there no Kuzmenko or Zub out there? Usually we have something, be it Friedman or some other source who has started reporting on someone.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Seems a little quiet this year for sure, maybe just not a 'big fish' who could jump in an NHL roster a la Kuzmenko but some guys who might get ELCs that'll start off as AHL depth which isn't too exciting.

Just stat watching, but RD Jonathan Pudas has had some productive seasons recently in Sweden. He's 29, so he wouldn't be required to sign an ELC. Found an article from earlier this season where he had been hoping to get NHL offers after playing in the Olympics last year but nothing materialized. Article mentions that he has a connection with Columbus scout Josef Bouwmedienne through Team Sweden. He might be in that awkward spot where he wouldn't want to come over to play in the AHL but no NHL teams could guarantee him a spot.

Trying to remember who it was, but I vaguely recall Friedman namedropping a defensive minded Swedish UDFA forward last year but the guy opted to stay in Europe.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Love this subject. I have no links to players and nhl teams. But as a SHL-phile here's a couple players who i think should get a shot.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems a little quiet this year for sure, maybe just not a 'big fish' who could jump in an NHL roster a la Kuzmenko but some guys who might get ELCs that'll start off as AHL depth which isn't too exciting.

Just stat watching, but RD Jonathan Pudas has had some productive seasons recently in Sweden. He's 29, so he wouldn't be required to sign an ELC. Found an article from earlier this season where he had been hoping to get NHL offers after playing in the Olympics last year but nothing materialized. Article mentions that he has a connection with Columbus scout Josef Bouwmedienne through Team Sweden. He might be in that awkward spot where he wouldn't want to come over to play in the AHL but no NHL teams could guarantee him a spot.

Trying to remember who it was, but I vaguely recall Friedman namedropping a defensive minded Swedish UDFA forward last year but the guy opted to stay in Europe.

Cool, appreciate that tidbit on Pudas.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Still another week and haven't heard much yet.

I would think Dronov would be kicking up some interest since he sorta-kinda signed with Carolina this fall but didn't make the opening roster so was given an out. He was at Arizona dev camp earlier too so maybe him with his deal with Metallurg Magnitogorsk being only for this season. Figure someone might want another Zub type find, even if he's a left shot.

Reactions: DaveG

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
32 Thoughts today mentioning TPS defenseman Valtreri Pulli today with a long list of interested suitors including the Sharks, Jets and Bruins among the 6 or 7 teams mentioned.

Edit: 51:50 of the 2/13/23 edition here -

"A number of teams have shown interest to varying degrees" - Marek

Also mentioned Vancouver, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and the Islanders (couldn't remember everyone so I just went back to listen to it again to get them all).

Last edited:

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Jeremy Roy (Nic Roy's brother) looks like he had a solid season in the KHL. With the right D market being so thin, any chance he returns to North America or he is done? 25 yrs, RD, 6'0" 194lbs, 63GP 4G 24A 28P. I know injuries were a big problem but it looks like he's put up a full season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see the U.S. Government is urgently calling on all American citizens to leave Russia immediately......are there any U.S. born players still playing in the KHL?

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I see the U.S. Government is urgently calling on all American citizens to leave Russia immediately......are there any U.S. born players still playing in the KHL?
13 Americans and 50 (!) Canadians, according to Players : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

No one really famous though. The "biggest" names are Joe Morrow and Josh Ho-Sang.

Taylor Beck (CAN) is 3rd in points in the league with 53 points in 62 games. I think that translates to about 25-30 points in NHL.

Trevor Murphy (CAN) is 2nd in D-men points with 9 goals and 34 assists in 56 games. I think he's probably the closest to an "okay" addition to an NHL team you can get from the league.

Last edited:

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Love this subject. I have no links to players and nhl teams. But as a SHL-phile here's a couple players who i think should get a shot.

What's your opinion on Lennström and Smejkal? Because I think those would have higher impact in the NHL than any on your list.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Jeremy Roy (Nic Roy's brother) looks like he had a solid season in the KHL. With the right D market being so thin, any chance he returns to North America or he is done? 25 yrs, RD, 6'0" 194lbs, 63GP 4G 24A 28P. I know injuries were a big problem but it looks like he's put up a full season.

I could see someone looking at his full season and giving him a 2-way deal for AHL service in a possible 8/9 role. It always seems like guys who toil in the AHL for a bit have a really hard time to come back even if their game has seemed to improve.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Vallterri Puli Finnish dman. 6’6 Lefty 21 years old. Jeff Marek reporting sharks bruins jets Canucks Preds islanders penguins and probably others are interested.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
What's your opinion on Lennström and Smejkal? Because I think those would have higher impact in the NHL than any on your list.
Lennstrom been a beast since returning from the KHL. Only reason I didnt include him was because of his age. His superb play during last years playoffs were electrifying. Surprised that he didnt get any interest off the back of it.

Smejkal big and good hands. He can grind out a bottom 6 role for Nhl team. I didnt realize he was a late 96.

I still like Oskar Stal Lyrenas the most. He's an absolute puck magnet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad