The All-Star Weekend Thread: January 22-25, 2015 (questions, info, meetups, etc here)

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Forgot what was a real favorite moment of the event: When the crowd ROARED "Leo"! Loudest I've ever heard it.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Maybe it was just me but the two mounties (?) that sang with Leo really ruined his overall performance.. would have been a lot better with just him.

Wasn't a fan of the American anthem performance either - Leo would of rocked that a lot better.

ASG for me was meh but too be expected. Skills comp was a great experience and Fan Fair was fairly decent. I was just happy to have awesome seats for both.

5K race was a nice added touch to the weekend.

In the big picture a giant success for Columbus.. hard to take Bob's injury news today after such a cool weekend.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Not exactly hockey related but All Star game related from the dispatch

Washington coach Barry Trotz was in Columbus for All-Star Weekend and spent Saturday at the Columbus Zoo with family. He was blown away, and he left with another cause near and dear to his heart: Save Foley! That’s Foley, a tiger at the Zoo that is due to be transported somewhere near Kansas City this spring, even though many workers at the Zoo are opposed, Trotz said, and even though he’s become attached to a female tiger at the zoo. (Foley, incidentally, was the ‘H’ in the much-circulated ‘O-H-I-O’ formation by the three zoo workers and Foley at the Zoo before Ohio State played Oregon in college football national championship earlier this month.) Trotz said he’s hoping to see “Save Foley!” signs behind each teams’ bench on Tuesday. He wants to get Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer involved, too, knowing that he’s the one guy in town – short of the mayor and maybe Les Wexner – who might make a successful personal appeal to Jack Hanna. “We have to keep Foley in Columbus,” Trotz said. “They’re shipping him out of Ohio, and he should stay here.”

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Not exactly hockey related but All Star game related from the dispatch

Washington coach Barry Trotz was in Columbus for All-Star Weekend and spent Saturday at the Columbus Zoo with family. He was blown away, and he left with another cause near and dear to his heart: Save Foley! That’s Foley, a tiger at the Zoo that is due to be transported somewhere near Kansas City this spring, even though many workers at the Zoo are opposed, Trotz said, and even though he’s become attached to a female tiger at the zoo. (Foley, incidentally, was the ‘H’ in the much-circulated ‘O-H-I-O’ formation by the three zoo workers and Foley at the Zoo before Ohio State played Oregon in college football national championship earlier this month.) Trotz said he’s hoping to see “Save Foley!†signs behind each teams’ bench on Tuesday. He wants to get Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer involved, too, knowing that he’s the one guy in town – short of the mayor and maybe Les Wexner – who might make a successful personal appeal to Jack Hanna. “We have to keep Foley in Columbus,†Trotz said. “They’re shipping him out of Ohio, and he should stay here.â€

Apparently, Barry Trotz doesn't understand the point of wild animal conservation.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Until the puck daddy article, I was unaware the cannon was such an issue for opposing teams, but I think that's pretty funny. What a bunch of babies. :sarcasm:

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
If the NHL was smart, they would replace the actual ASG with this. I was thoroughly entertained by the mascots, unlike the yawnfest that was the All Star Game.

We were hoping to catch the mascot game, but somehow, all four of us in my group thought it was supposed to be before ASG. I think a most people didn't even know it was scheduled. Again, only complaint I have from the weekend is that communication was weak from NHL. We did catch the mascot "dance off" and games at Fan Fest.

Sounds like quite a few NHL fans are stuck in town due to weather/cancelled flights.... maybe CBJ can spot them some tickets for Caps game ;-).
http://www.abc6onyourside.com/news/features/featured/stories/NHL-Fans-Stranded-in-Columbus-after-Slew-of-Flighs-Cancelled-71425.shtml

Looks like Nash, Tavares and Halak are stuck here to: http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2015...-puts-tuesday-in-doubt-looking-back-and-ahead

Edit: Not sure about Tavares and Halak being stuck here. This article says they grabbed a private jet out Sunday night. The tweets by Luongo quoted are awesome in this article. "No Sign of OVI8's liver" at Saturday's morning skate. LOL http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2015/01/26/shea-weber-is-cody-fransons-biggest-backer

Last edited:

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
We were hoping to catch the mascot game, but somehow, all four of us in my group thought it was supposed to be before ASG. I think a most people didn't even know it was scheduled. Again, only complaint I have from the weekend is that communication was weak from NHL. We did catch the mascot "dance off" and games at Fan Fest.

This board was the first I heard of a mascot game, despite having tickets for all events this weekend. Communication was terrible.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
This board was the first I heard of a mascot game, despite having tickets for all events this weekend. Communication was terrible.

Here's a quick video of Stinger's first goal. He ended up with 3 goals and won the MVP. :)

Few photos:

IMG_2852.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

Last edited:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Went to both events -would have gladly arrived early for it.

I think it was close to 6:00 when they played the game. I had read somewhere about it but did not remember what night or time. Luckily while standing in the concourse I heard Mike Todd's annoying voice doing the starting line ups so we hurried to our seats. It is a shame the NHL did such a piss poor job on communicating the whole weekend. Other then that and the way the anthems were done everything was great.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I think it was close to 6:00 when they played the game. I had read somewhere about it but did not remember what night or time. Luckily while standing in the concourse I heard Mike Todd's annoying voice doing the starting line ups so we hurried to our seats. It is a shame the NHL did such a piss poor job on communicating the whole weekend. Other then that and the way the anthems were done everything was great.

Damn.. I was probably standing in the ice cold beverage line right about then - lol

Also would have preferred Leo to sing the Canadian anthem alone - it didn't sound too good with 3 different people trying to sing together...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Damn.. I was probably standing in the ice cold beverage line right about then - lol

Also would have preferred Leo to sing the Canadian anthem alone - it didn't sound too good with 3 different people trying to sing together...

Actually the three voices sounded great together. Very well done.

Would have preferred Leo do the SSB, too.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Actually the three voices sounded great together. Very well done.

Would have preferred Leo do the SSB, too.

If you think 3 people hardly singing in sync with each other - and the other two trying to overpower Leo at times great then sure... They sounded great... Ha

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If you think 3 people hardly singing in sync with each other - and the other two trying to overpower Leo at times great then sure... They sounded great... Ha

Um, nobody was trying to overpower anyone, Leo was often singing a lower harmony. The arrangement was actually mildly complex vocally for a sporting event. Well done....Ha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad