The All-Star Weekend Thread: January 22-25, 2015 (questions, info, meetups, etc here)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He tends to ignore the way the song is meant to be done at pro sporting events. I mean, just look at the sheet music!

The-Star-Spangled-Banner-Sheet-Music-for-Sporting-Events.jpg
That is clearly how Jo Dee Messina decided to sing it.

Reminded me of the Maya Rudolph sketch on SNL where she made fun of how it is sung at sporting events.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I wish they would just go with instrumental for the SBB, some of these people that try to customize it or drag it out is terrible. But it did sound like you heard some boo's when the anthem singer was announced because it wasnt Leo, if that was the case that is extremely poor taste, its not the anthem singers fault they chose someone else. I remember it happening another time where it was someone else, but everyone yelled Leo when they announced the singer, maybe light hearted, but the singers reaction was kind of WTF

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I wish they would just go with instrumental for the SBB, some of these people that try to customize it or drag it out is terrible. But it did sound like you heard some boo's when the anthem singer was announced because it wasnt Leo, if that was the case that is extremely poor taste, its not the anthem singers fault they chose someone else. I remember it happening another time where it was someone else, but everyone yelled Leo when they announced the singer, maybe light hearted, but the singers reaction was kind of WTF

Don't think they were boos, but some where saying Jooooo.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
What the hell does that mean?

Some where playing off of Leooo and were saying Jooo (for Jo Dee Messina) before the SSB. Or maybe it was Jo Deee I really don't remember. There were also a few that said Leoo too so it was a mix of different things so I can see where someone would think there were boos.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Some improvisation, but still beautiful. I prefer a straight rendition myself, but sometimes a slightly different version can be magical. I liked the woman's version at the ASG, so what do I know.

Not sure anyone will ever top the Whitney Houston Super Bowl XXV version. Powerful and yet restrained.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
[musiccritichat]

Both the Botti and Whitney renditions benefit greatly from an arrangement that perfectly supports/matches the tone of the way in which they melody is performed. The chording/chord voicing of the Botti is magnificent, and is matched by his restrained, slightly improv-ed (he is a jazz musician after all) performance. And the Whitney at Super Bowl version is also a masterful handling of the arrangement that matches her powerful yet tasteful vocal performance. I forget what an incredible gift she had.

[/musiccritichat]

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
[musiccritichat]

Both the Botti and Whitney renditions benefit greatly from an arrangement that perfectly supports/matches the tone of the way in which they melody is performed. The chording/chord voicing of the Botti is magnificent, and is matched by his restrained, slightly improv-ed (he is a jazz musician after all) performance. And the Whitney at Super Bowl version is also a masterful handling of the arrangement that matches her powerful yet tasteful vocal performance. I forget what an incredible gift she had.

[/musiccritichat]

Yeah, I know some of those words.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad