The All Purpose Defence Thread

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I notice we have a lot of individual player threads but nothing on the defence as a whole.

Phaneuf has been great which is a relief as he had struggled a bit last year, great to see him doing well.

Rielly has had his ups and downs but has done well for a rookie. I see great glimpses.

Gunnarsson is actually not that noticeable which is good for a defenceman of his ilk, though could be better.

Gardiner has been a bit of an enigma. Can't describe his play other than less offensive this year.

Franson has that half slapper working for him. Never knew he was this clueless in his own end.

Ranger :shakehead

Fraser hasn't played enough.

Not an overall fan of our defence as a whole, and would love to see two new guys brought in. Guys like Klein, Girardi, Scuderi, Orpik. Guys who are defensively responsible and cost 2-5 million. I think we need two of those type to come in and replace two guys if we want any shot of contending.

But this thread's purpose is not about what I think but about how everyone feels about our defence as a whole.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
We could use an upgrade at every D position, including making Phaneuf a #2 D.

Too bad there's this thing called a salary cap!

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I notice we have a lot of individual player threads but nothing on the defence as a whole.

Phaneuf has been great which is a relief as he had struggled a bit last year, great to see him doing well.

Rielly has had his ups and downs but has done well for a rookie. I see great glimpses.

Gunnarsson is actually not that noticeable which is good for a defenceman of his ilk, though could be better.

Gardiner has been a bit of an enigma. Can't describe his play other than less offensive this year.

Franson has that half slapper working for him
. Never knew he was this clueless in his own end.

Ranger :shakehead

Fraser hasn't played enough.

Not an overall fan of our defence as a whole, and would love to see two new guys brought in. Guys like Klein, Girardi, Scuderi, Orpik. Guys who are defensively responsible and cost 2-5 million. I think we need two of those type to come in and replace two guys if we want any shot of contending.

But this thread's purpose is not about what I think but about how everyone feels about our defence as a whole.

That half slapper has not had even a tiny bit of success this season. He need to learn how to get his ****ing shots through.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Thus far

Phaneuf - Beast
Gardiner - Good
Gunnarsson - Good
Rielly - Average to Good
Franson - Average to Bad
Ranger - Bad
Fraser - Bad

Mine:

Phaneuf- Best (Best defenseman by a mile)
Gardiner- Bad (Bought in to score points however he has 4pts in 22gps. He's also bad defensively)
Gunnarsson- Good (Very sound positionally, and he rarely makes mistakes)
Rielly- Good (I like his game. If he can limit his GA on ice, then he'll become even better)
Franson- Average (Our top productive defenseman, however he sucks defensively)
Ranger- Average (IDK why everyone hates him. Good defensively, just need to work on his footspeed and limit his errors.)
Fraser- Bad (Hits and blocks shots. That pretty much what he does. Below average defensively and seems to be getting injured every often.)

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Also, I'm just going to say that I am very glad that Burke drafted Stuart Percy. Leafs could benefit from him a lot in the future.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
Phaneuf - Has always been this good. He's just getting more attention now since his contract is up.

Gunnarson - Like someone ^ said he's invisible so nothing has changed.

Gardiner - Showing signs of stardom with his effortless stride, too bad he doesn't shoot enough or at the right times.

Rielly - Bullet. Seeing him make a good play in his own zone only to torpedo-rush the puck or make a good first pass is fun to watch. Prone to defensive lapses but hey he's a rookie.

Franson - Using the body more this season but too often he sacrifices his position to make it. Shot is still effective, can he effectively clear the puck out of our zone? I have no idea...

Ranger - Horrible....meh improving....horrible.....LIFE!....horrible. Danger! Danger!

Fraser - Probably our worst Dman this year in the short time we've seen him. I don't know what's up but at least he's been clearing the front of our net.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
Ranger is getting better, and for 1 million, he's only suppose to be there as a 5/6th guy. He's made many smart plays by breaking up rushes, but sadly he isn't given credit for those. He only gets blamed for the ***** that happens, not the problems he prevents.

mikebel111*

There has been improvement in own end

But randy knows still some work to be done

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Phaneuf-A
Gunnarsson B
Gardiner C
Rielly C
Franson C
FraserC
Ranger C-

Phaneuf's great so far.

Gunnarsson's been solid but he's too high up in the depth chart for his skill set.

Gardiner's better in his own end but his offense is going down the tubes

Franson's good on the powerplay but his defensive play is lacking

Rielly's had his ups and downs. Playing with Franson or Ranger as a partner doesn't really help

Fraser's been hurt and has looked kind of slow out there. Not sure how much we can really expect from the guy.

Ranger has also been up and down. Not really a fan of his game would rather have Liles out there.

mikebel111*

Ranger is getting better, and for 1 million, he's only suppose to be there as a 5/6th guy. He's made many smart plays by breaking up rushes, but sadly he isn't given credit for those. He only gets blamed for the ***** that happens, not the problems he prevents.

I feel bad for him

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Yet we were 6th in the league before tonight on d?? I have seen flashes, but inconsistent is the word. Dion is solid.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Let's start with

Who I would keep

Phaneuf - He's been fantastic. The only complaint would be a little more offensive production. But aside from that he's been a horse for us this year.

Rielly - So much potential, And even better physically then I thought he would be at this stage. Still the odd mistake but he's got the all the makings of a perennial all star.

Gardiner - I wouldn't not trade him(have to be a similar aged player), But his skating and overall skill out weigh any shortcoming he may have. Puck movement is key nowadays and he does it better than most.

Unsure about

Gunnarsson - I'm content with him, But I feel he's playing too much in the top pairing. At this point there may not be another option, But an upgrade is needed in the short term until Rielly is ready for that role.

Ranger - Was a fan when he was with Tampa and even liked him a lot last season with the Marlies, But the his play is so inconsistent and I'm not sure playing top four minutes is possible at this point.

Move them

Franson - I'll admit he has some qualities, mostly PP orientated, But I like my defense to be able to skate well and it's not his strong suit. Also lackluster play 5 v 5 is another issue.

Fraser - Good character guy, Tough as well. But again mobility is a problem.

In summery: Aside from Phanuef and the two kids, I could see the bottom four guys I've mention not returning for next season. So there could quite a turn over on defense coming on the horizon.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Gunnarsson has not been good or ok. He needs the "sheltered minutes" further down the lineup.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
I want to see randy switch some pairings around. Don't be stubborn and keep rolling the same pairs. Try something different, it can't hurt.

Rielly - phaneuf
Jake - gunnarsson
Fraser - franson

At some point I want to see Percy with Gardiner. Think he is the perfect compliment to his game.

R

Last edited:

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
most of the people saying move franson, franson's s***, etc. are mostly the same people attacking Nonis in August for not having him signed yet.

I've watched every leaf game this year and I don't think he's been as bad as some people have said. I think expectations were too high for him after his great year last year. I like that he's been more physical, although agree it does put him out of position sometimes. One of his strengths is his reach and if he can find a good mix between a good stick and physicality I think he'll come around.

His offense isn't bad really... He's on a 44pts/82 gms pace. And he's still only 26, I really, really don't believe he should be moved anytime soon.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
most of the people saying move franson, franson's s***, etc. are mostly the same people attacking Nonis in August for not having him signed yet.

I've watched every leaf game this year and I don't think he's been as bad as some people have said. I think expectations were too high for him after his great year last year. I like that he's been more physical, although agree it does put him out of position sometimes. One of his strengths is his reach and if he can find a good mix between a good stick and physicality I think he'll come around.

His offense isn't bad really... He's on a 44pts/82 gms pace. And he's still only 26, I really, really don't believe he should be moved anytime soon.

that is the rub.
most defensemen get better with age. so. being 26 = pretty much hitting puberty in hockey land.

the problem is we've got
Franson
Gardiner
Rielly.

Rielly's not going anywhere unless a miracle happens and something AH.MAH.ZING appears and it's like the magical piece of the puzzle. (and truthfully, even then, I don't think Nonis bites).

which leaves Gardiner & Franson
reporters have stated that Carlyle said if Gardiner was traded he'd be very unhappy. he truthfully sees potential in the kid.

Franson pretty much wants a payday.

soo.... (shrug)

if there was a way to keep

Phaneuf
Franson
Rielly
Gardiner

as well as get more physical/stay at home defensemen (i think we're going to have to use some rookies for that as well) and Franson taking a cut - I can see it happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad