Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.8%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 83 31.3%

• Total voters

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It would be the absolute dumbest thing in the world for us to trade CC for this guy.

I know CC didn’t have a great year but all the underlying numbers are there for a forty goal scorer. There’s no way we should be trading that away for a player with red flags.
For what it’s worth I don’t think CC would be a target…. If we’re moving zegras for questionable defense, and not being physical…. I’d find it hard to imagine us moving him for CC who has similar questions in his game.

Out of curiosity what are zegras red flags? I know they are often talked about by other fan bases but I never see anything about them in Anaheim or amongst Anaheim fans really.

Easier to talk amongst Montreal fans on their forums, rather than the trade boards, so I hope you don’t mind friendly discussion

Reactions: Tyson and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
For what it’s worth I don’t think CC would be a target…. If we’re moving zegras for questionable defense, and not being physical…. I’d find it hard to imagine us moving him for CC who has similar questions in his game.

Out of curiosity what are zegras red flags? I know they are often talked about by other fan bases but I never see anything about them in Anaheim or amongst Anaheim fans really.

Easier to talk amongst Montreal fans on their forums, rather than the trade boards, so I hope you don’t mind friendly discussion

Good post.

What do you think Verbeek would be looking to add for Zegras?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Good post.

What do you think Verbeek would be looking to add for Zegras?
I think
Reinbacher or 2024 1st are the easiest starting points from Anaheim perspective. Anything less than that as the main piece and I don’t even think our owners would sign off on it.

for what it’s worth I don’t think he’s realistically available, PV was on ducks podcast and said “other teams think he’s available”…. All that says to me is that he’s open to listening on offers, as he should be on basically anyone not named carlsson/mintyukov.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agreed, I don't know why a majority of hab fans have this "grass is always greener" mindset when it comes to others over our own.

There's not a chance I'd trade Caufield for Zegras. Like absolutely zero.

Caufield has the potential makings of a perennial 40 goal scorer. He's also works hard at trying to improve other facets of his game, something well documented that Zegras has difficulty with.

Besides, IF we were going to trade for Zegras it would be to add onto Caufield and the offense of this team, not take away from it, and it would only be at a fair price.

I cannot see Hughes paying a massive premium for someone like Zegras.

Depending on where we end up picking in this draft, it's quite possible we snag a player who has as much if not more value as Zegras does anyway, all without the headache of contract negotiatons.
Yeah. Why pay a premium of the other team is looking to move this guy?

Reactions: Tyson

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I think
Reinbacher or 2024 1st are the easiest starting points from Anaheim perspective. Anything less than that as the main piece and I don’t even think our owners would sign off on it.

for what it’s worth I don’t think he’s realistically available, PV was on ducks podcast and said “other teams think he’s available”…. All that says to me is that he’s open to listening on offers, as he should be on basically anyone not named carlsson/mintyukov.

I can't see Reinbacher being on the table from a Hughes perspective, trading the RD they deemed more valuable than a forward with the offensive upside of Michkov, only to trade him for Zegras now doesn't make much sense IMO.

The 1st could possibly be in play, depending who's left on the draft board when our number is called. I really do not want to draft another Dman, if that's what we're looking at.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I can't see Reinbacher being on the table from a Hughes perspective, trading the RD they deemed more valuable than a forward with the offensive upside of Michkov, only to trade him for Zegras now doesn't make much sense IMO.

The 1st could possibly be in play, depending who's left on the draft board when our number is called.
I hope they don't trade a top 7 pick for Zegras, that would be disheartening

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I hope they don't trade a top 7 pick for Zegras, that would be disheartening

I just don't want to draft another D if he's the BPA at our pick, if all the top forwards are gone. I'm fine with trading the pick for immediate help in that sense, (not necessarily Zegras) or move down for an Iginla type.

Zegras holds some intrigue for me, but I'm not completely sold on him either.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It would be the absolute dumbest thing in the world for us to trade CC for this guy. (Not directed at you Vachon - just really dumb for the team)

I know CC didn’t have a great year but all the underlying numbers are there for a forty goal scorer. There’s no way we should be trading that away for a player with red flags.
The point was never to trade Zegras vs Caufield

The point was when you make an offer for Zegras, think would you do it for Caufield

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think

Yes, this is what I figured, both about his expected cost and his availability.

We're just bored out of our minds in a tanking season so news headlines are something to talk about, even if we know they're unlikely to come to fruition.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think it will do it. Put yourself in their shoes. They have Zegras who they likely value like we do with Caufield. Zegras is going nowhere in the next year if the offers are late 1st's and B+ prospects.

I wish we could pull that off but I have my doubts.
If they valued him like we valued Caufield then his name wouldn't be in the rumour mill saying that the GM doesn't like him. If they valued him like we valued Caufield they would have signed him to a long term deal instead of going with a bridge deal.

They clearly don't value him like we value Caufield, but since they are under no pressure to actually make a move quickly they probably won't accept a low offer.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yes, this is what I figured, both about his expected cost and his availability.

We're just bored out of our minds in a tanking season so news headlines are something to talk about, even if we know they're unlikely to come to fruition.
It’s tough because both teams are in similar situations…. We both need quality not quantity…. And both need to be bringing in talent not losing talent.

I think the reason PV picks up the phone on zegras is because in a sense he is an expendable piece at the right price(think Hutson, sky high potential but you have plenty of lhd if you were to move him for something you’d consider a weak spot). We have carlsson and mctavish, and a pretty good chance at celebrini/lindstrom this year. I think if we draft a center this year , you def consider moving zegras for a highish end dmen.
Yeah. Why pay a premium of the other team is looking to move this guy?
Well for 1 this is little to no evidence PV is looking to move Z, the only quote on record form PV is “other teams think he is available” … the rest is from insiders that don’t exactly have good track records when it comes to Anaheim…. Examples they also said gibson would never play another game in Anaheim(and I wish he didn’t), they had no idea about drysdale until 20 mins after the trades

Reactions: HabbyGuy and 26Mats

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
If they valued him like we valued Caufield then his name wouldn't be in the rumour mill saying that the GM doesn't like him. If they valued him like we valued Caufield they would have signed him to a long term deal instead of going with a bridge deal.

They clearly don't value him like we value Caufield, but since they are under no pressure to actually make a move quickly they probably won't accept a low offer.
I brought this up on the main boards, and it seems duck fans are in denial about this.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I don’t think the contract negotiations is as big a deal as people make it out to be.

pv is a young GM, and trying to set a tone on how contracts will work in Anaheim. He doesn’t want to get walked over by RFAs. If you pay zegras high with a lot of work to still be done in his game how does that look for negotiations with all the other young players in Anaheim.

people also don’t know if zegras wanted less years, he is a very cocky person/player and would def bet on himself going forward

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I’m sorry but I can’t really understand your post from above. If you’re saying they have the same value, I’d say no. Absolutely not.
They have similaire value yes

But the point was when you make an offer for Zegras (ex Barron + 1st WPG 2024) ask yourself if you would make it for Caufield (ex a late 1st round + Luneau vs Caufield). If dosen’t make sense, then it won’t for Anaheim either

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They have similaire value yes

But the point was when you make an offer for Zegras (ex Barron + 1st WPG 2024) ask yourself if you would make it for Caufield (ex a late 1st round + Luneau vs Caufield). If dosen’t make sense, then it won’t for Anaheim either
I disagree with your premise. I think caufield has significantly more upside.

So, no - what is offer for Caufield is not what I’d offer for Zegras.

Now… if Caufield Carlos the bed with a seven percent shooting percentage again next year - then sure I’d revisit this. But right now there’s now way I’d value both players the same.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
To me it looks like another PLD situation. Unless we’re getting a discount I’d prefer we stay away. We’re in a completely different situation than we used to be. We don’t need this guy.
I just dont want to end up in O'Reilly type of situations where we don't pull the trigger because we are afraid that a late first and b prospect will turn into something special (like not moving Poehling and a 20-30th pick).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I just dont want to end up in O'Reilly type of situations where we don't pull the trigger because we are afraid that a late first and b prospect will turn into something special (like not moving Poehling and a 20-30th pick).
I think making a move is something we’d all be open to. But I’d want to move surplus players and picks, not guys that we have penciled in for the future. In other words- trade the extra picks and maybe guys like Barron, Harris, X or even Engstrom. Do NOT trade away guys like RB, Roy, CC or Hutson…

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I disagree with your premise. I think caufield has significantly more upside.

So, no - what is offer for Caufield is not what I’d offer for Zegras.

Now… if Caufield Carlos the bed with a seven percent shooting percentage again next year - then sure I’d revisit this. But right now there’s now way I’d value both players the same.
what makes you think caufield has more value/upside? Fully entitled to your opinion btw…. Just curious.

caufield is the better goal scorer, zegras is better playmaker/line driver, zegras also has better handling vision and hockey iq imo .

Both suspect defensively…. Both not very physical tho I think zegras has more willingness to engage in physical play and also has a little edge to his game.

at every level zegras has been seen as the higher upside player? I like caufield I think he’s a very good player I put him in the same tier of player as zegras. I don’t love to say 1 is much better than the other because admittedly I don’t watch a ton of full Montreal games. I know caufield is a gamer and has a lethal shot

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The point was never to trade Zegras vs Caufield

The point was when you make an offer for Zegras, think would you do it for Caufield
Can't really be symmetrical here. We're not in a position where Caufield can be expanded for missing pieces. The entire Zegras to MTL rumor was started on the basis that maybe Anaheim can turn him into pieces they're lacking and they'd be able to recover with Gauthier.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
This whole thing feel like a grand fishing expedition by Ducks. They seems to be more interested in knowing what they could get for Zegras at this point. Because eventually they will need to decide if they want to commit long-term or move on, and if they opt for the latter then the groundwork will be partially done and they can just resume from there.

Reactions: vokiel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad