THE All Encompassing Jim Benning Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Benning and Linden are RE-TOOLING this team......not RE-BUILDING:

One major take-away that I got from these past 24 hours, is that both Benning and Linden are re-tooling this team and are NOT re-building. In other words, they aren't simply going to "blow up" this core with the hope that the Canucks can be a competitive cup contender in 3-5 years, by stockpiling on 19-21 years olds that will all collectively hit their primes as 22-26 year olds leading the way.

On the contrary - I think both Linden and Benning have a plan that caters to BOTH the present and the future.

-By trading for Bonnino, Sbisa, and Dorsett, Linden and Benning clearly have an intention of bringing in youthful players that can help us be competitive NOW

-By keeping their 6th overall pick, acquiring the 24th overall pick, and getting a whole bunch of other draft picks from the Garrison deal (I can't remember exactly what picks), Linden and Benning are clearly focusing on DEPTH as far as their prospect pool is concerned.

-By trading away Garrison for essentially nothing, Linden and Benning are illustrating the fact that they are committed to getting rid of guys that don't fit their vision and system...........while also creating enough cap space to bring in guys that *DO* fit their system and vision.

The biggest take-away I take from today's draft?

I fully expect Benning to be a huge player in the UFA market this off-season. I will officially go on record as stating that I fully expect one/two of the following players to be Canucks come October 1st (even if it's at an overpayment): Miller, Stastny, Moulson, Bolland, Vanek, etc., etc.

I was happy with Benning's performance today:

Although many people were unhappy with the returns that we got with both Kesler and Garrison, I think Benning achieved a number of things:

1) We significantly reduced cap space........which will undoubtedly lead to Benning doing something post July 1st
2) We got young assets that are about to enter their prime years (i.e. Bonino, Dorsett, Sbisa), and got younger as a whole by moving Kesler and Garrison.
3) We increased our prospect pool with the 24th pick (we drafted both Virtanen AND McCann), along with whatever we got from the Garrison deal

My hope is for 2 of the following 3: Miller, Stastny, and Myers:

Benning has major coin to play with in this off-season, and I hope he goes hard after Ryan Miller. Miller may no longer be in the class of Price, Lundquist, or Quick, but I still think that Miller can be better than the rest under the right circumstances. I think Miller can be better than Rask, Bishop, Crawford, Howard, Rinne, and any other goalie outside of "The Big 3."

By having Miller with us, not only will the Canucks have one of the best goalies, but I think someone like Miller can really help mold Lack or Markstrom.

I also believe that a Miller/Lack combo could easily be as good as Luongo/Schneider from 2011. Call me nuts, but I believe it to be true.

Once you have Miller on the roster, you can then go hard after either Stastny or Myers. Myers obviously, would come via a trade. And again - if you need more cap space to beat out competitors in acquiring either Stastny or Myers (i.e. guys in their primes), you could easily use your compliance buyout on a guy like Alex Burrows or flat out trade him a la Jason Garrison style.

Stastny and Bonino would give us legit scoring depth outside of the Top line, while a guy like Myers still has a big enough upside to turn into a franchise defenseman in my opinion. There are no guarantees unfortunately, but I do think a guy like Myers is a good calculated risk to take on. Ken Holland of Detroit is interested in Myers. What does that tell you? Ken Holland is smarter than myself, and you........the reader.

Anyway - that is what I would do.

Conclusion:

I think Benning and Linden want to field a competitive team for the future, but they also want to field a competitive team now. This is a re-tool........not a rebuild. With the massive amount of cap space available, I expect Benning to be a serpent in the UFA market this year. For those hoping that we tank this season so that we can land McDavid or Eichel, don't hold your breath!

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Referring to the St. Louis deal I assume, well some people are saying it wasn't that good of a deal, anyhow, maybe the Rangers had more assets, plus it's the Rangers, they are usually willing to overpay in a trade to get the guy they want.
Sather really isn't that bad in trades. It's the free agents where he spends money like there's no tomorrow.

Iridescent*

Dark times ahead. Mickey Mouse organization right now. Linden needs to go asap, he's not ready for this. May never be. Should have brought him in and let him work his way up. This is just ridiculous.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
It's amazing how quickly people are judging the management team already without a single game played in the season... But then again, we wouldn't be Canucks fans if we were consistently whining about every single thing that this team does.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Dark times ahead. Mickey Mouse organization right now. Linden needs to go asap, he's not ready for this. May never be. Should have brought him in and let him work his way up. This is just ridiculous.

I could not disagree with your post any more.

1) We got younger and brought in 3 guys that are about to enter their primes (Bonino, Dorsett, Sbisa).

2) We increased the depth of our prospect pool (Virtanen AND McCann)

3) We have an insane amount of cap space freed up, and will very likely bring in 1-2 major players via UFA signings.

4) Benning and Linden not only secured the future of this team by bringing in young guys and increasing the prospect pool, but the insane amount of cap space that they have will ensure that they bring in 1-2 more pieces to help the current team NOW.

A mindful eye for the future, and a mindful eye for now.

Make no mistake about it. This isn't a rebuild. This is a retool.

This never was about bringing in a whole bunch of 19-21 year old kids. It was about having :

1) Young guys entering their primes
2) Increasing the prospect pool farm
3) Decreasing cap space
4) Bringing in solid vets that can help this team be competitive now.

Benning and Linden are succeeding on all fronts. Getting Tampa to take Garrison off our hands was a huge home-run. Taking care of the Kesler situation immediately was also a big positive, considering that Kesler had stonewalled Benning into narrowing the field to two teams.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
We haven't spent the 7$ or so Million dollars of cap space cleared up by Benning's trades yet. That was part of 'what we got back' as a return in those deals. We've always been a spend to the cap team, and i expect we will be next year as well.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

No, the complaining is ridiculous. What did you want to happen here? We traded Kelser even after he handcuffed us. We got the best we could(Anaheim was NOT budging on the 10th overall pick). We cleared a bunch of cap space with Garrison. We didn't see the farm for first overall (Florida's asking price was ridiculous) and we drafted a 17 year old that scored 45 goals last season that also happens to be local and another kid who dropped a bunch and we grabbed him. Seriously what do people want to happen right now?

I see people saying "We should have got the 10th" or "We should have traded up to the 1st" but honestly, there are two teams in those deals and if the other team doesn't want to play ball, we can't force them to. I get that this is alot of change all at once for some people but really, Free Agency hasn't even started yet. Isn't it early to throw the brand new President(WHO'S NOT EVEN THE GM SO THESE WEREN'T HIS CALLS ANYWAY) under the bus?

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
No, the complaining is ridiculous. What did you want to happen here? We traded Kelser even after he handcuffed us. We got the best we could(Anaheim was NOT budging on the 10th overall pick). We cleared a bunch of cap space with Garrison. We didn't see the farm for first overall (Florida's asking price was ridiculous) and we drafted a 17 year old that scored 45 goals last season that also happens to be local and another kid who dropped a bunch and we grabbed him. Seriously what do people want to happen right now?

I see people saying "We should have got the 10th" or "We should have traded up to the 1st" but honestly, there are two teams in those deals and if the other team doesn't want to play ball, we can't force them to. I get that this is alot of change all at once for some people but really, Free Agency hasn't even started yet. Isn't it early to throw the brand new President(WHO'S NOT EVEN THE GM SO THESE WEREN'T HIS CALLS ANYWAY) under the bus?

Benning should've willed Reinhart to drop to 6th overall and Linden should've grabbed Anaheim's 10th pick right off their table and run up to the podium to use it before they could catch him.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I don't know...I'm optamistic with what they have planned with that extra cap space.

The Myers rumor had me intrigued. I could see tanev or edler going the other way in a package.

We do know they have been talking to bisnasty, bolland, miller...you bring those three guys in and we have a bit more to be hopeful for.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Benning should've willed Reinhart to drop to 6th overall and Linden should've grabbed Anaheim's 10th pick right off their table and run up to the podium to use it before they could catch him.

Perhaps they shouldn't have run their gobs off before they actually got the players. They set themselves up for the backlash.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I was looking for a little bit more meat and potatoes in the lineup and Benny delivered. Excited about the future.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
I'm happy with the day, this was about changing the feel in the locker room and getting rid of people that do not fit their vision.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I don't know...I'm optamistic with what they have planned with that extra cap space.

The Myers rumor had me intrigued. I could see tanev or edler going the other way in a package.

We do know they have been talking to bisnasty, bolland, miller...you bring those three guys in and we have a bit more to be hopeful for.

Bisnasty eh

Passthedonuts

Jun 29, 2008
Oakville, ON
I recall reading these forums the first off season Gillis was the GM.

At first people were freaking out we only had 2 top 6 forwards under contract, and then a few weeks later we were freaking out that Demitra, Bernier, Wellwood were not the answer. Then the Sundin offer fiasco and the Backes offer sheet.

Not a whole lot different than now, except this time our prospect pool actually looks decent.

Remember the outcome? We went on the win the division the next season after most pundits and people on this forum had the Canucks as a guaranteed lottery team. And that was the beginning of the most successful era in franchise history.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
We also have horvat , shinkaruk , corrado , and Jensen competing for spots this year ...

This team finally has a prospect pool

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Got younger
Opened huge cap space
Got rid of problems
New management gets it moving in right direction and im sure they are not done looking forward to the next moves good job in my books

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I think we'd all be happier if we had some serious skill in our pool. I don't think we're upset with our prospect with x4 first round picks in the last 2 years but we still don't have a real offensive threat unless Shinkaruk pans out

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Had to get that 10th out of Anaheim. We made a divisional rival stronger now and in the future and that is unacceptable.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Who will be the next former Medicine Hat Desjardins' coached player to be acquired by Benning?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sixth worst team in the entire NHL. Worst team down the stretch.
Were people hoping and expecting we'd just stand pat?
Changes had to be made this summer and the biggest one was moving Kesler and not letting it fester like the Luongo situation.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm a bit mixed tbh but I don't think we've seen the whole picture of what Benning has planned.

Thought the Kesler return was low _but_ when you factor in the NMC (Gillis) and Kesler's complete douchiness about only going to Anaheim ... well I can't fault Benning for not being able to clean up someone else's mess. He gets a conditional pass on this from me.

- Garrison+ for Linden Vey (eventually) is also puzzling on the surface but there must more to the story than we know. Garrison was far from the best D but he was at least serviceable. I'm hoping we have plans for the cap space and not just making room for Sbisa. Grade = C- until we see the rest of the plan.

Dorset - Not a fan but not a big deal trade either. Could be a useful player I guess.

Not trading essentially Virtanen + McCann + Shinkaruk + Tanev for Reinhart = Good decision. That move could have been devastating.

Now onto the draft:

Virtanen - love the pick.

McCann - happy with the pick. Not my top choice but still a good one.

Demko - not a fan of drafting goalies early but if we were to grab one then Demko is the one to grab.

Overall it's been a tough start for Benning but not all his fault as he's been asked to come in and fix a mess of a team. Some of these moves may seem questionable today but I will wait until the summer is through to judge his work as a whole.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Had to get that 10th out of Anaheim. We made a divisional rival stronger now and in the future and that is unacceptable.

Except Benning didn't choose Anaheim, Kesler did. And nowhere else.

Agree we needed to get the 10th and probably should have pulled Kesler off the table when they wouldn't budge, but I can see the desire to get the deal done and finalized so that Benning can move onto the rest of his changes without having to get mired on Kesler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad