The All Encompassing Dion Phaneuf Discussion Thread Part II

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
There wasn't 1 Canadian team on Gorges list, so this legitimately means nothing. I can respect the opinion of one guy, but that doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Dion seems to be disliked by players around the league and while I'm sure some of that is related to his personality, a lot of it can also be attributed to these guys actually have to play against him.

Dion probably is a unlikable guy, however who cares so long as his game shapes up.

I always thought Dion was I likeable as well. He comes across as a ****** to me. That apparently isn't completely true. Ran into a recently former Maple Lead on the golf course this summer, and he said Dion was a very nice guy. He did, however, confirm that he is a very poor leader.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I always thought Dion was I likeable as well. He comes across as a ****** to me. That apparently isn't completely true. Ran into a recently former Maple Lead on the golf course this summer, and he said Dion was a very nice guy. He did, however, confirm that he is a very poor leader.

I've met Dion and he seemed like a likable guy in person, but of course I'm a fan and that's his job. The guys married, and seems to get along with the current team just fine so who knows.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear a former leaf team mate of his comment on the lack of leadership either. Fact is any former leafs who have played with Dion have been on the team when it was at it's lowest point. The team has yet to actually be "good" while Dion was here, and this defiantly affects how people perceive his leadership (just look at the posts on here).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If an opposing GM knows you want to get rid if a player, he is less likely to meet your price.

Are you suggesting Shanahan's comments in a paper will trick GM's into thinking he's valued more than he is?

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Do good GM's read the paper to help determine a Players worth?

If Shanahan wanted to convey a message, he would need to be consistent delivering it in all situations. He would be saying similar statements (praises) to scouts, agents, and other GM's, etc as well as media and media insiders.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Are you suggesting Shanahan's comments in a paper will trick GM's into thinking he's valued more than he is?

I actually don't think GM's conduct trades in that attitude -- they are looking to develp working relationships with each other - if a trade makes sense for both sides it gets done unless it's an extreme situation like Spezza's.

The antagonistic poker game negotiations are often player agent v. Gm's...

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Spoke with a current veteran NHL defenseman at a party a couple of weeks ago and mentioned I was a Leafs fan - he took a long look at me and said "its one of the teams I would never play for and I live here(Toronto), as long as Phaneuf is the Captain I would never play for them"

He had a lot more to say about Dion and the Leafs - great guy. Says a lot about Gorges decision.

Matt Martin said the same thing about Dion. How he is mostly hated around the league.

leafstilldeath*

From the Article: (Italics)
Total contract: 7 years, $49 million
Total remaining against salary cap: 7 years, $49 million

Two things are true when it comes to Dion Phaneuf and his time with the Toronto Maple Leafs. He plays some of the toughest minutes in the NHL among defensemen. He also does not handle them very well.

And it's the latter part that makes the seven-year, $49 million contract he signed last season difficult to swallow. In a more sheltered role where he can be a point-producing defenseman, he's fine. But as a No. 1 defenseman being asked to play in more of a shutdown role, he seems to be a bit overmatched.

I agree with the explanation. Dion is not a shut-down D-man and should not be playing as a 1D without a shut-down stud D.

Dion will be friggen 36 when that contract ends :shakehead

Nonis with another beauty after Clarkson :facepalm:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
7M is hardly an overpayment.

For all the people complaining about Dion.

How would a #1 Pairing of Franson and Gardiner look this season?

The 6 D without Dion as it stands right now with Robidas a ?

1/ Gardiner/Franson
2/ Polak/ Rielly
3/ Granberg/ ?

Dreadfully weak.

For all the Dion naysayers, please explain to me how this defence looks better without him?

CHRoNiCWiLL

Mar 17, 2010
GTA

1/ Gardiner/Franson
2/ Polak/ Rielly
3/ Granberg/ ?

Dreadfully weak.

For all the Dion naysayers, please explain to me how this defence looks better without him?

I think the point of trading Dion is not so we can continue to compete. It is so we can tank for a few more years and hopefully somewhere down the road, draft that number 1 stud d-man. Or at least accumilate enough valuable assets to trade for 1 eventually. With Dion, we walk the mediocrity line, at least without him we can walk at one extreme.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

1/ Gardiner/Franson
2/ Polak/ Rielly
3/ Granberg/ ?

Dreadfully weak.

I will give you this - Dion Phaneuf is definitely better than Cody Franson.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Phaneuf is not a cerebral player at all, which means he will be declining sooner than later, which means we should be looking at trading him before he declines.

Leafs are not contending in the next couple of years. As soon as Rielly and Gardiner can handle the minutes, he should go for a great return.

Same for Lupul btw.

TheThrill81*

Yes, I would imagine one of the best defencemen in the NHL is better than Cody Franson. In other news, the Earth is not flat.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

It's almost too bad Dion was not traded. 10 games of Gardiner and Franson facing top Fwds like Crosby or Toews without Dion to take those hard mins, would be an eye opener to those that think Dion is not our best defenceman.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
It's almost too bad Dion was not traded. 10 games of Gardiner and Franson facing top Fwds like Crosby or Toews without Dion to take those hard mins, would be an eye opener to those that think Dion is not our best defenceman.
The fact that we traded Gunnarsson for Polak tells us that Caryle ( and Shanny) seems to be content with Dion utilised in a shut down role. Most top pairing defenceman ( or #1Ds for that matter) do not necessarily shut down top lines. If anything, the implementation of a new system and a much more balanced D core, bottom six, and expected improvement from the youth should help Dion greatly.

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
If you traded Phaneuf fir Subban and made Subban play phaneuf's role he would look brutal

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you traded Phaneuf fir Subban and made Subban play phaneuf's role he would look brutal

Subban will no doubt become a better defensive player as he gains more experience.
If he reaches Phaneufs level of Defense, while still maintaining his offense, he'll be HOF worthy.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
If he plays like the pre-contract signing Phaneuf from last season, its all good.

If he plays like the post-contract signing Phaneuf from last season, God help us!

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
Phaneuf got 60 points playing defenceless hockey alla Subban now if Subban played a shut down role his offence would suffer like phaneuf's

hockeyfanz*

Phaneuf got 60 points playing defenceless hockey alla Subban now if Subban played a shut down role his offence would suffer like phaneuf's

Now Dion plays defenseless hockey and he nets 30 points.:laugh:

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006

1/ Gardiner/Franson
2/ Polak/ Rielly
3/ Granberg/ ?

Dreadfully weak.

Just because we have a bunch of crap, or guys who aren't ready yet, doesn't make Dion that much better so this is kind of a weak argument to defend him. Someone will always be the best player on a miserable team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just because we have a bunch of crap, or guys who aren't ready yet, doesn't make Dion that much better so this is kind of a weak argument to defend him. Someone will always be the best player on a miserable team.

But it does illustrate when Dion is the undisputed best D man on this team, just how far back it is, when Franson and Gardiner are our defacto #1 pairing when Dion and Gunnar are missing.

Until we can close that gap, I can't see how anyone objective would downplay Dion's importance to this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad