The All Encompassing Babcock Coaching Thread

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Honestly it's crazy how much of an impact good mangement and coaching can do for you. I always used to think that it's the players who are responsible for wins and the coaches are largely irrelevent in the grand schem of things. Wilson, Carlyle, etc were all bad coaches that got out unsustainable performances from there players due to there coaching sturucture. I used to listen to Burke and believe everything he said. I thought we could have had tavares, that truclence and all that was the best way to build a team. Burke was a blow hard, who didn't know what he wanted to do in toronto. Unlike shanny and crew he had no vision on what his team would look like once he was fired/left. Our new mangement may not give as juicy quotes as prior ones but they have improved our prospect pool tenfold, made us a much bether team in terms of possession and skill, and have set a very solid concrete for any future mangement (don't expect any of the guys besides lou to be gone by the time Babs contract rus out). Babcock, Shanny, Lou, dubas, and hunter are our core five. They are the most valuable individuals currently in the organization. Love where we are headed and super pumped to see Babs continue to improve the team on the ice and the others off it.

Last edited:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Honestly it's crazy how much of an impact good mangement and coaching can do for you. I always used to think that it's the players who are responsible for wins and the coaches are largely irrelevent in the grand schem of things. Wilson, Carlyle, etc were all bad coaches that got out unsustainable performances from there players due to there coaching sturucture. I used to listen to Burke and believe everything he said. I thought we could have had tavares, that truclence and all that was the best way to build a team. Burke was a blow hard, who didn't know what he wanted to do in toronto. Unlike shanty and crew he had no vision on what his team would look like once he was fired/left. Our new mangement may not give as juicy quotes as prior ones but they have improved our prospect pool tenfold, made us a much bether team in terms of possession and skill, and have set a very solid concrete for any future mangement (don't expect any of the guys besides lou to be gone by the time Babs contract rus out). Babcock, Shanny, Lou, dubas, and hunter are our core five. They are the most valuable individuals currently in the organization. Love where we are headed and super pumped to see Babs continue to improve the team on the ice and the others off it.

Well said. :handclap:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I love how there's some arguing on the main board that he is overrated because while he went undefeated yet again in a best-on-best tournament, he didn't get everything out of all players. And he's boring.

At least the latter I can understand. Detroit sure was boring for a few years, and I guess what saves us from that is our emotional investment. I'm used to that at least, as a Swede. Our national teams are not exactly crowd pleasing.

As for Babcock, I don't think anything about his systems are exceptional. They're fairly standard. Smart and efficient, but normal. His main strength is that his teams always seem incredibly comfortable with the systems. We barely failed to execute his breakout systems once last season for example. Not on a systematic level. He also seems like a terrific motivator, and someone who inspires respect.

The games last year were still 10000x more exciting than Carlyle hockey, where we were stuck in our own zone for what felt like at least 70% of the game. So happy no more dump and chase hockey, anti-possession hockey. :yo:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I love how there's some arguing on the main board that he is overrated because while he went undefeated yet again in a best-on-best tournament, he didn't get everything out of all players. And he's boring.

At least the latter I can understand. Detroit sure was boring for a few years, and I guess what saves us from that is our emotional investment. I'm used to that at least, as a Swede. Our national teams are not exactly crowd pleasing.

As for Babcock, I don't think anything about his systems are exceptional. They're fairly standard. Smart and efficient, but normal. His main strength is that his teams always seem incredibly comfortable with the systems. We barely failed to execute his breakout systems once last season for example. Not on a systematic level. He also seems like a terrific motivator, and someone who inspires respect.

I believe the key to his success is that he is a great teacher. Some people have the job title but can't teach and some people don't have that title, but can teach. He is of the latter imo

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The guy is a natural coach. Some people become coaches because they think the game well, some because they motivate. Some only show up as a coach when they step on the ice or behind the bench. Babcock does it all 24/7 he breathes it, eats it, sleeps it. I'm sure the guy dreams of different line combos at night or on the john. I notice him last night watching from the press box with Lou, both just bouncing ideas off each other. Always in the game.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Babcock is not needed. Leafs won in Buffalo last night 8-1. :)

I'm only joking. If nothing else, the contract that Babcock earned, makes the players know who is in charge and who is in charge for years. So do it his way or find another job.

The Leafs have finally got it right. The Marlies and Leafs look to be "seamless". Systems are the same, seems to be a great family among the players. Having the Leafs and Marlies in the same city helps.

Notice under showman Burke, he allowed the Leafs to fail.....there is too much pressure playing in Toronto, the media is too hard. You never hear this crap under this organization. Personally I never believed there is too much pressure playing in Toronto. The media is soft. The fans do get to see all games so they can judge on their own.

Nice to see a coach, who enjoys his job and wants his players enjoy their job too.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Babcock is not needed. Leafs won in Buffalo last night 8-1. :)

I'm only joking. If nothing else, the contract that Babcock earned, makes the players know who is in charge and who is in charge for years. So do it his way or find another job.

The Leafs have finally got it right. The Marlies and Leafs look to be "seamless". Systems are the same, seems to be a great family among the players. Having the Leafs and Marlies in the same city helps.

Notice under showman Burke, he allowed the Leafs to fail.....there is too much pressure playing in Toronto, the media is too hard. You never hear this crap under this organization. Personally I never believed there is too much pressure playing in Toronto. The media is soft. The fans do get to see all games so they can judge on their own.

Nice to see a coach, who enjoys his job and wants his players enjoy their job too.

Correct. Burke unknowingly empowered the media and made it far worse on players and management with his comments, which only fed into the media's importance. Right now the media is being fed nothing, ignored, and being told the same standard lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad