The All Encompassing Babcock Coaching Thread

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Mike-Babcock-thumbnail.jpg

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 10h10 hours ago
Babcock on winning: "This is just a sign of what's going to happen here in Toronto - just so you know." He means the Leafs.

Mike Babcock - 2nd Winningest Coach in NHL HISTORY Through 1000 Games

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
14518278_10208844957115038_168883689_n.jpg

(probably why he isn't at the practice this morning :P)

Babcock became the first-ever coach to capture a Stanley Cup, World Cup, World Championship, World Junior Championship and Olympic gold medal on Thursday night.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
What the heck are they doing? This isn't the offseason, their not supposed to drink during the season it messes with their training.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

I heard them talking about this quote with Dreger on Naylor and Landsberg this morning. After a season of tempering expectations, there will be pain, sheltering guys; it seems like a very odd statement to throw out there right beofre the beginning of the season unless he feels some other significant moves are coming soon. Otherwise it has just increased the pressure on Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly x10. And, people are going to be looking at a much quicker progression to the top than they were with all the talk of patience and pain.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

I heard them talking about this quote with Dreger on Naylor and Landsberg this morning. After a season of tempering expectations, there will be pain, sheltering guys; it seems like a very odd statement to throw out there right beofre the beginning of the season unless he feels some other significant moves are coming soon. Otherwise it has just increased the pressure on Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly x10. And, people are going to be looking at a much quicker progression to the top than they were with all the talk of patience and pain.

Nope just you IMO

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Nope just you IMO

Lol, I didn't say I am for speeding up the rebuild. I want them to do it right and make smart moves when they compliment their vision. But, the media is going to be all over this.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Leave it to the media to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I mean Christ he says "going to happen," future tense. Obviously he doesn't mean right now. Anyone who expects speedy progression this year based on that one quote has brain damage.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I feel like that's just another rehashed version of "our goal is to win the cup" -- he didn't put a timeline on it, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

We're signing Stamkos.

12:03 AM, Babcock was probably drunk too lol.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

Not sure if srs... Glad he wants to win here, that should be the whole organization's goal?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I love how there's some arguing on the main board that he is overrated because while he went undefeated yet again in a best-on-best tournament, he didn't get everything out of all players. And he's boring.

At least the latter I can understand. Detroit sure was boring for a few years, and I guess what saves us from that is our emotional investment. I'm used to that at least, as a Swede. Our national teams are not exactly crowd pleasing.

As for Babcock, I don't think anything about his systems are exceptional. They're fairly standard. Smart and efficient, but normal. His main strength is that his teams always seem incredibly comfortable with the systems. We barely failed to execute his breakout systems once last season for example. Not on a systematic level. He also seems like a terrific motivator, and someone who inspires respect.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Something tells me Duchene would jump at the chance to be a Leaf cuz of Babcock. Look at what he has to say:

Canada's Matt Duchene raved about Babcock's approach to the game, saying he deserves to be in the Hockey Hall of Fame right now.

"Hockey Canada does this thing so right. It carries a lot of weight in the hockey world, and they just keep going back to him. There's a reason for that," Duchene said. "He's absolutely an alpha. He has respect for all of us, and we have that respect for him. He just knows the game so well and teaches it so simple. He makes hockey simple and easy to understand."

Babcock has long been praised for sticking to a structure and getting his troops to buy in. Duchene explained that a simple system — the same system he's trying to install with the rebuilding Maple Leafs — allows players to just play.

"He knows what he wants all the time. Very detailed. Black or white. There's no grey area. As players, we want that," Duchene said. "I want to know when I mess up before he tells me. Before I get back to the bench, I should know. If I'm in the wrong position, I know. There's no questions to be asked. I like that as a player. You're not thinking too much."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...world-cup-stanley-cup-sign-happen-mcgill-tie/

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"Never say Never to a Mike Babcock coached team" .. Mess (circa 2015)

Stanley Cup movement is underway and building momentum with each passing day..

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
At least the latter I can understand. Detroit sure was boring for a few years, and I guess what saves us from that is our emotional investment. I'm used to that at least, as a Swede. Our national teams are not exactly crowd pleasing.

"Ok boys, take no chances and grind it out".

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Something tells me Duchene would jump at the chance to be a Leaf cuz of Babcock. Look at what he has to say:

"He's absolutely an alpha"

I see that. In a room of the best players in the NHL, I still see Babcock being the alpha in the room

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Leave it to the media to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I mean Christ he says "going to happen," future tense. Obviously he doesn't mean right now. Anyone who expects speedy progression this year based on that one quote has brain damage.

considering it was on Landsberg + Naylor it doesn't surprise me. Landsberg makes a huge mountain of the tinest molehills.

Babs have been saying this since he got here. He came here because he KNEW he could be a winner here. he's said we're going to be so good, i'll sign back on for two years and keep on winning, you'll see (or something to that effect). all of them (well not Lou) - have flat out said that they envision us being a winner. LATER.

it's just going to be painful and slow. NOW.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Seven more years on his contract, so there's time. Hope there's patience, results, and the process being seen through to at least then (and beyond if needed/wanted).

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
It's still incredible to have who we have in the front office right now compared to what we've had to deal with for the past decade or more. I used to just assume if there was a way for things to mess up and go wrong, the Leafs were going to jump right in with both feet. What a difference hiring shannahan made. Someone who actually had pride in the Maple Leaf even though he never played here.

With previous leaf coaches you always had the feeling the players were really running the show. Management was going to get rid of the coach before they tore the roster apart. With Babcock coming on board long term and the whole management team on the same page now it's up to the players to perform or they won't have a spot on the roster.

It's nice to trust the people running the team for once :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad