The AHL 2012-13 "Silly Season" Thread

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Figured I'd get what little discussion there is/might be about relocation activities into one thread.

So, the one story that started to intrigue me for this off-season on the AHL level was the "Aeros out of Houston?" one that got posted over on the affiliations thread:
http://blog.chron.com/hockeystop/2013/01/outlook-grim-for-future-of-aeros-in-houston/

But as I read that one and did a bit more digging, and found the following:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/187613091.html

The thing is... neither of these articles actually source any reason for doom and gloom or "outlook grim" -- they just state that the next lease hasn't been finalized. It is true that if there can't be an agreement come to, then the Aeros would have to look elsewhere, but that's just typical negotiating talk, from where I sit. I wouldn't say "The Aeros aren't going anywhere", but I think it's been overinflated by reporters trying to generate buzz - or trying to lay groundwork for speculative "NHL to Houston" columns.

Any other AHL Silly-Season related stories out there lurking this season?

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Now that the Adirondack situation has apparently been resolved for another year, I see a very, very quiet silly season.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Still some rumors floating that MSG is trying to buy the Glens Falls CC and move AHL Rags team in. Isles are also rumored interested still. Those have been going since 2006... There's also a dark horse that is rumored to be from not in the northeast. It's been fun trying to speculate who might be rumored to be interested.... I saw some Calgary personel in the house recently. Obviously not unusal to see scouts/gms at games.

The city of GF does have an escape clause for next year, and I am aware of the leases the other teams have agreed to. So it's not necessary to reply that Bridgeport is in a 20 year lease or whatever or Abbottsford is in a similiar situation.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Now that the Adirondack situation has apparently been resolved for another year, I see a very, very quiet silly season.

It has not been resolved. The city of Glens Falls can still find a tenant and terminate the lease.

Given that the Phantoms are leaving and, again have put a less than stellar product on the ice, I suspect they are doing everything they can to find a team to sign to a deal before the lease termination deadline (IIRC April?).

will5059

Mar 7, 2010
Madison CT
Still some rumors floating that MSG is trying to buy the Glens Falls CC and move AHL Rags team in. Isles are also rumored interested still. Those have been going since 2006... There's also a dark horse that is rumored to be from not in the northeast. It's been fun trying to speculate who might be rumored to be interested.... I saw some Calgary personel in the house recently. Obviously not unusal to see scouts/gms at games.

The city of GF does have an escape clause for next year, and I am aware of the leases the other teams have agreed to. So it's not necessary to reply that Bridgeport is in a 20 year lease or whatever or Abbottsford is in a similiar situation.
Bridgeport does have 10 yrs remaining on their lease but that doesn't mean the isles can't leave. It only means they can't leave the building empty. If they find another team to honor the rest of the lease they would be free to go. People up in Hartford have been chattering that the word going around up there is that the rangers are trying to move their farm club to bridgeport so it's possible. I don't buy it though because the isles appear to be happy with the location of bridgeport and have dumped a good amount of money into the arena even though they don't own the building (the city of bridgeport own the arena, islanders entertainment books an manages it) anyways to sum it up I find it unlikely the sound tigers move, but it is being rumored, if you count Whale fan chatter as rumors.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I actually went to a couple of games in Hartford in December... this being the last year of MSG's lease with the XL Center has me keeping an eye on them as "portable", but it all depends on what larger play MSG might be making for some other arena's management and the like. Didn't they buy the old Inglewood Forum? NY Rags' farm team in LA's backyard? :)

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Hans, to add a twist to Hartford, there is talk that the UConn Huskies will be using the XL Center (Hartford Civic Center) for their home games when they move to Hockey East in a year.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Looks like the Falcons are staying put at least for another year, despite being approached by someone to purchase the franchise...

http://theahl.com/falcons-charitable-foundation-formed-p181859

"The owner also mentioned that he was recently approached by a potential buyer of the franchise, but talked about how his establishment of the Springfield Falcons Charitable Foundation served as a reaffirmation of his commitment to maintain ownership of the team and keep the club in the Pioneer Valley."

I have to say that's a bit surprising. The Falcons are one of the top teams in the AHL and attendance is up on average only 149 per game. If putting a 1st place team on the ice isn't going to increase attendance I don't think anything will.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
If putting a 1st place team on the ice isn't going to increase attendance I don't think anything will.

You've got to rebuild the base. Missing the playoffs 9 straight years, 11 out of 12, and not getting past the first round since 1997 tends to beat people down a bit.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
You've got to rebuild the base. Missing the playoffs 9 straight years, 11 out of 12, and not getting past the first round since 1997 tends to beat people down a bit.

Yes, and nothing does that better than winning. If a 1st place team only brings out an additional 149 fans then it isn't just about a losing team.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Tough call, Devils came in and replaced the Rats, who had been at least decent with Carolina and sold more seats. Devils teams have been much worse. I'm not comparing the announced attendances here, seats sold. So new marketing strategies and new faces doing the selling in old markets do work.

I wonder what a possible move of Hartford would do to the crowd in Springfield. They are very close together. I'd also change back to the Indians nickname. The Falcons uniforms and logo up to a couple of years ago looked more like a roller hockey team than something professional. That's an all time classic minor league logo and name.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Tough call, Devils came in and replaced the Rats, who had been at least decent with Carolina and sold more seats. Devils teams have been much worse. I'm not comparing the announced attendances here, seats sold. So new marketing strategies and new faces doing the selling in old markets do work.

I wonder what a possible move of Hartford would do to the crowd in Springfield. They are very close together. I'd also change back to the Indians nickname. The Falcons uniforms and logo up to a couple of years ago looked more like a roller hockey team than something professional. That's an all time classic minor league logo and name.

it's doubtful that the Whale are going anywhere, even if AEG cedes the operation of the arena to Global Spectrum, from the reports I'm hearing is that the 1st option is retaining the Whale as a tenant..... as for Springfield, Landon has to now answer to Charles Pompea, who's the owner in Springfield now, or be replaced much the same way Columbus just jettisoned Scott Howson for Jarmo Kekalainen(who is now the 1st European GM in any NA League.... if Springfield continues on the pace they're currently on, it harkens back to the Indians era, anyway, RFA, if sitting at the top of the Eastern Conference truly means anything....much less battling Binghamton for the overall 1 seed.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Yes, and nothing does that better than winning. If a 1st place team only brings out an additional 149 fans then it isn't just about a losing team.

So half a season of quality hockey is supposed to undo the bitterness and resentment of being the doorstep of the league for 12 years? I can't say that I blame Springfield hockey fans for having a "wait and see" attitude on this one. The constant affiliation carousel hasn't helped either for stability. This was once a proud hockey season with the Indians putting together quality teams pretty regulalrly. Indifference and apathy have been culitvated in the Springfield market through sub standard ownership, poor marketing, and NHL clubs making sure that their relationship with this AHL affiliate was about as one-sided as humanly possible. Columbus, Tampa, and Phoenix as NHL affiliates during those teams' "lean years" has led to Springfield being a complete and unmitigated disaster for what seems like an eternity.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Connecticut stays put, according to Fox CT/Hartford Courant, the Whale or might it be returning to the Wolf*Pack ARE COMMITTED to the XL Center until at least 2016, W/ A 2 YR extension till 2018

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Pirates, Civic Center at a stalemate in lease negotiations
By Chris Roy Published: 28th March 2013

PORTLAND – Negotiations on a new lease agreement between the Portland Pirates and Cumberland County Civic Center trustees has reached a pivotal moment, leaving many to wonder if the AHL franchise days are numbered in the city of Portland.

Link>>>>

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
http://www.pjstar.com/rivermen/x1037530003/Blues-notify-Civic-Center-that-Rivermen-are-leaving

Posted in another thread, but bringing it here to unify discussions -- so, we have the first domino in the AHL Rivermen leaving... still unclear as to where they're going, whether they're being sold, or any of the other pieces of this moving picture.

Here's a thought -- might the CHL attempt to rush in to attempt to shore up their midwest presence for QC and Bloomington and bridge to their outlier in Brampton?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad