The Advanced Stats Thread Episode IX

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm sure that's part of it, but then how do you explain teams like Montreal and New Jersey who on paper don't have better talent, outside of Hall? Montreal is one of the better CF% teams in the league and the Devils are more than respectable. I don't understand why the Rangers are just so bad. And yes, they have been good at limiting quality shots against, and good at getting quality shots for, but that remains to be seen how long that lasts. Only team that does it consistently while being outshot consistently is Minnesota.
True.

But they also have coaches who are super experienced, in the case of Julien, and have been with the team long enough to cement their footprint, in the case of Hynes.

It's a bit of a grey area, as it really changes from team to team and talent to talent. That's why it's not a fine line, to me.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
True.

But they also have coaches who are super experienced, in the case of Julien, and have been with the team long enough to cement their footprint, in the case of Hynes.

It's a bit of a grey area, as it really changes from team to team and talent to talent. That's why it's not a fine line, to me.
All good points, and we do need to give Quinn more time, and we definitely need to upgrade the talent level. I'd just like to see more puck possession lol, it's been 4 years now of them getting their brains bashed in.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm sure that's part of it, but then how do you explain teams like Montreal and New Jersey who on paper don't have better talent, outside of Hall? Montreal is one of the better CF% teams in the league and the Devils are more than respectable. I don't understand why the Rangers are just so bad. And yes, they have been good at limiting quality shots against, and good at getting quality shots for, but that remains to be seen how long that lasts. Only team that does it consistently while being outshot consistently is Minnesota.

We're at the quarter mark of the season.

While its not a great sample size and they've yet to face the teeth of their schedule (they've had one of the softest ones in the league), this is pretty much who they are.

They have a very AV roster and a decent amount of youth. You can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
From Corsica's game sheet:
upload_2018-11-20_8-0-59.png

Matchups are limited to 5-on-5 situations. Tile size is scaled by Time On Ice and colour is scaled by adjusted Expected Goals differential. Blue represents a home team advantage and red represents a road team advantage.

From NST's game sheet:
upload_2018-11-20_8-1-44.png

Reactions: Ail

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I have a question, I want to do a little analysis. Does Corsi use even strength data or 5 on 5 only? I feel like you're still playing offense and defense 4 on 4, but 3 on 3 it's almost a different game. They're rare states in the game so maybe it doesn't matter. I feel like these websites use even strength and 5 on 5 interchangeably and they're not necessarily.

@Machinehead @silverfish

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So I have a question, I want to do a little analysis. Does Corsi use even strength data or 5 on 5 only? I feel like you're still playing offense and defense 4 on 4, but 3 on 3 it's almost a different game. They're rare states in the game so maybe it doesn't matter. I feel like these websites use even strength and 5 on 5 interchangeably and they're not necessarily.

@Machinehead @silverfish
The sites differentiate. 5v5 is 5v5. EV is when the teams have an equal amount of skaters on the ice.

For example, on Corsica.Hockey, the Rangers are a 46.54 CF% team 5v5 990.47 minutes. If you flip to ES, they're 46.24% in 1029.23. You can also drill down to 4v4 and 3v3, specifically, on the site.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The sites differentiate. 5v5 is 5v5. EV is when the teams have an equal amount of skaters on the ice.

For example, on Corsica.Hockey, the Rangers are a 46.54 CF% team 5v5 990.47 minutes. If you flip to ES, they're 46.24% in 1029.23. You can also drill down to 4v4 and 3v3, specifically, on the site.

But when people use CF% is that usually going off EV or 5 on 5? Or is it not really standard and some go off one and some the other?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
But when people use CF% is that usually going off EV or 5 on 5? Or is it not really standard and some go off one and some the other?

You're splitting hairs either way. The vast majority of even strength time is obviously played 5on5 so even if you include 4on4 and 30n3 situations, it has little to no impact on the overall number.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You're splitting hairs either way. The vast majority of even strength time is obviously played 5on5 so even if you include 4on4 and 30n3 situations, it has little to no impact on the overall number.

5 minutes of OT can add up.

I'm pretty sure that's counted as EV, which is why I prefer 5v5.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
How much longer do we "see how it develops" with Pionk?

The Rangers are a high school team when he's on the ice.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
How much longer do we "see how it develops" with Pionk?

The Rangers are a high school team when he's on the ice.

until a better RHD prospect arrives...til then he keeps going out there in hopes that he'll improve. who cares if it cost us games now, replacing him with a guy with no future doesn't help us long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad