TV: The Acolyte (Star Wars/Disney+)

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The fact that Kennedy has been on record saying the Acolyte will be based on her own and other lesbian life experiences rather than about exploring a universe without the Skywalker saga in it for the first time in live action Star Wars is a massive disappointment and everything wrong today about Disney.

Yeah we wouldn't want movies and TV shows to have things to say.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I really don't understand how so many people get wrapped up in twitter politics and this never ending garbage culture war. That it even permeates into something as innocuous as fantasy space wars is a bad sign of the times. Like do people really feel that desperate to belong to one of these sides they're going to whine about a lack of white male representation in a trailer for a show about magic star wizards?
10 ply sawft

Narrative content should be judged on its own merits. It's either good or it's not good.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
The funny thing about all those whiners is that they seemingly have forgotten - or never knew - who George Lucas is and what he was trying to tell. They also seem to have a very warped view of what Disney is. Disney has always been a largely conservative entitity that tried to make money through (relatively light) family entertainment. Them throwing some minor breadcrumbs to minorites or *gasp* women now and then, doesn't somehow make them woke. They are anything but.

Star Wars hasn't become more political, if anything, it has become less political. Lucas was a hardcore liberal who very much put his views into his works. See THX-1138, the fight against a fascist and oppressive regime in Star Wars, references to Vietnam through the Ewoks, Newt Gunray (-> Newt Ginrich and Ronald Reagan) or the reference to GWBs "Either you are with us, or..." in Revenge of the Sith. Not to mention that movies like Star Wars or Raiders of the lost Ark had strong female characters like Leia or Marion, something else seemingly lost to those who whine about women actually accomplishing stuff in Star Wars movies or shows...

I really don't know why some people are so insecure that they feel threatened by women or minorities. Especially to the point that they will bash stuff before they have even seen it. It's like they can't be bothered to form their own opinion and have to rely on others on what they should think.

It's possible that The Acolyte will not be a good show, that is true for every single show or movie ever produced. But if that will be the case (and it will obviously be something that is a matter of opinion, not a fact), it will be because some parts of the production process, be it the writing, acting, directing, cinematography, etc. were not good enough, not because a women was in charge, lots of minorities involved, or because someone tried to be "woke".

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I really don't understand how so many people get wrapped up in twitter politics and this never ending garbage culture war. That it even permeates into something as innocuous as fantasy space wars is a bad sign of the times. Like do people really feel that desperate to belong to one of these sides they're going to whine about a lack of white male representation in a trailer for a show about magic star wizards?
10 ply sawft

Narrative content should be judged on its own merits. It's either good or it's not good.
Because they're uncomfortable with their lives, in one way or another, and want to find something to fill the void. Petty, stupid, tribal politics is easy to get these kind of people to gorge upon. There's also the bonus prize that is people who digest this shat often have little or no critical thinking skills.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2004
I find it interesting that when people write a long rant directed at 'other' people they are usually describing themselves.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's possible that The Acolyte will not be a good show, that is true for every single show or movie ever produced. But if that will be the case (and it will obviously be something that is a matter of opinion, not a fact), it will be because some parts of the production process, be it the writing, acting, directing, cinematography, etc. were not good enough, not because a women was in charge, lots of minorities involved, or because someone tried to be "woke".

As long as I'm not sexist or racist for not liking it, like you are accused of being if you didn't like The Last Jedi or the Marvels.

The moron brigade who gives everything with a female lead a 1/10 on IMDB before it even reaches mass release ends up just generating reams and reams of Op-Eds, posts and columns about how toxic the male fan base is, but this usually just muddies the waters for what is in actuality a mediocre or crappy film.

Antman: Quantumania had a white male lead and was a crappy film, but my criticism didn't raise any flags for some reason.

I'm not particularly optimistic about this one, but it's more about Disney's batting average with franchises in general lately as opposed to anything I saw in the scant minutes of footage in the trailer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad